The great obsession of every abnormal drinker

Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I no longer think about drinking or not drinking. Some say it is easier to stay sober than to get sober. I wouldn't know, I never did learn how to stay sober.

I find it is easier to stay spiritually fit than to stay sober. When I am spiritually fit, drinking never even shows up on my radar screen.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I kept looking for the chapter on "figuring it all out" in the Big Book and I will be damned, it is not in there. Seriously, it is not about not drinking today, it is all about how to live. That is the true gift of this program.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Fishman35 View Post
I kept looking for the chapter on "figuring it all out" in the Big Book and I will be damned, it is not in there.
I kept looking for the chapter on "Quitting Drinking" in the Big Book and I will be damned, it is not in there.

Dr. Paul O. is the author of the famous story/paragraph "Acceptance is the Answer". He wrote a book titled "There is More to Quitting Drinking than Quitting Drinking".
Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A huge component of alcoholism is denial. Each day I told myself I wouldn't get sober again ... and I was a daily drinker. I also told myself that I would just have a glass of wine "to take the edge off" ... and I was a blackout drinker. I became a solitary drinker because I thought if I drank around other people THEY would think I'm an alcoholic.

There's a reason the disease of alcoholism is categorized as a mental illness by the American Medical Association. I didn't even realize how screwed up I am until I had about 10 years of sobriety under my belt.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

*****I wouldn't get sober again*****

should be "I wouldn't drink again"

But come to think of it, I keep going to meetings because I think I have only one recovery.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
A huge component of alcoholism is denial. Each day I told myself I wouldn't *drink* again ... and I was a daily drinker. I also told myself that I would just have a glass of wine "to take the edge off" ... and I was a blackout drinker. I became a solitary drinker because I thought if I drank around other people THEY would think I'm an alcoholic.

There's a reason the disease of alcoholism is categorized as a mental illness by the American Medical Association. I didn't even realize how screwed up I am until I had about 10 years of sobriety under my belt.
Totally understand! After 15 years of drinking I let the niggling little thought that my nightly bottle or two of wine might be a problem creep in...and I watched myself as if from the outside to "assess." (Gotta love this denial in & of itself, as I kept drinking hard for 5 MORE years!!) Well all my excuses finally wore thin and I couldn't keep the words inside anymore. Lush. Wine-o. Alcoholic. Addict.
My social life nosedived over the past decade because I knew I wasn't just gonna have a few with the girls, I knew I was going to get wasted and wanted to be safe on my couch where no one could judge me.
I'm only a week sober and I'm trying not to get too sure of myself. I feel SO darn good! Clear-headed, awake, alert, proud for once. But I'm scared too. Surely the day will come when the bottle is in my hand and I'm talking myself off that ledge.