Notices

oohhh my liver

Old 08-24-2005, 03:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

oohhh my liver

i was wondering, since i am going to the doctor soon,,how can ask the doctor to check my liver....yu know after all the acetamenophen...i am worried...??
Old 08-24-2005, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Just tell your dr. what you have told us that you are worried about the health of your Liver and I am sure there is a test that can be done.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The doctor can do blood work to see how high your enzyme levels are.The next step is a liver biopsy.Trust me,that one isnt too much fun.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

what r the syptoms of a unhealthy liver??? sweats...diareah...what?? or yu cant tell...does it hurt yur side?? anyone??
Old 08-24-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

often times a damaged liver will be be tender to the touch it is located on the right side just under the ribs. I would think someone who has a damaged liver would lack energy as well. I am wondering why you are so concerned about your liver??? What have you done that makes you think your liver is damaged? and what symptoms do you have that makes you think you may have a problem?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

I believe there are many side effects. One being a general ill feeling, also an enlarged liver, and pain on the side that your liver is on.
Those I know for sure. You can to a google search, for liver problems, and you will get good info on the net.. It's always best to know ahead of time, if you are concerned about a health problems, that way you know what to ask, and what to expect from a doctor.
Love, Becky
Old 08-24-2005, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i abused the hell out of hydros...that is why i am worried and when i need pain releive i always do with out acetamenophen b/c of that reason....it is horrible for yur liver, plus my dad died of hepatities c while benge drinking.....yu can understand my concern...
Old 08-24-2005, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

It's a pretty simple blood test for liver enzymes. Not terribly expensive if I recall. Best go ahead and have it done for peace of mind.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

There was a period in my active addiction where I used to take hydrocodone and oxycodone(perc's not oxy's) like tictacs and was eating like 20 - 30 a day, I also would eat 15-20 tylenol P.M.'s to go to sleep at night for about a year or so. I was worried about my liver being damaged also. I have been to the doctor since I got clean and the good news is that my enzymes are cool, after telling him all that I did, he was shocked that I was alive, much less with an okay liver. Our bodies can do some insane things and still be allright. Go get the test for some peace of mind, it's a simple blood test, quick and simple.

good luck
Old 08-24-2005, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Yes, get tested by a doctor. It is a simple test, I have had a few. The doctor told me everyone's liver processes things differently, one person liver can not take the same amount of abuse as the next person liver, just depends on how your body processes things, and I believe you metabolism..
No matter what, everyone is different, and you should get tested, it's so easy, for total piece of mind..
Love, Becky
Old 08-24-2005, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks

thank yu guys...i"ll ask for a enzyme test....it just suxs yu know??/ yu only have one liver.....it will cost a little bit more of money, but so did my pills...
Old 08-24-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

I know how you're feeling, odie. I abused hydro, too .... in fact, I would take in approximately 14,000 mgs. (yes, that's the correct number of zeros) *ugh!* per DAY of acetametophen (sp?) for five or six years, give or take a few thousand milligrams, and when I had my blood work done to test my liver so I could get the O.K. to start my Suboxone treatment, I was absolutely shocked my doctor said my liver was fine! He couldn't believe it, either. I never drank alcohol while taking the pills, because I had heard of the toxicity, but still, the Tylenol amounts I ingested shoulda turned my liver to toast. I never felt very good taking those huge amounts of hydro, either. I had slightly yellow/bloodshot eyes, my skin was icky, I looked tired all the time, and I felt like crap. It's amazing how much better and brighter everything looks and feels now that I'm off that garbage and in Sub treatment. Oh, and I drank a lot of cranberry juice and Pomagranate juice, too, hoping it would detoxify my liver. Maybe it helped? Who knows.

Anyway, good luck to you. Report back with your results, k?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

I was tested numerous times also, I have had symptoms that could be liver problems, and with as many percs and hydros I took, along with morphine, it's amazing that I got a good result back also. We were definately spared. God works wonders, I know it's god, because for me, and alot of you, we should not have a liver left.. We are lucky, for sure.
I do know that up to a certain point, livers are the most "forgiving" organ I believe we have. they will repair themselves, once the abuse stops, it is a wonderful thing, but it can only repair it's self up to a certain point of abuse, once you cross that line, it can no longer repair it's self.
When I was in treatment there was a guy, who was dying from cirhosis(sp?) or the liver, it was just awful. He was a bright yellow color, and he could hardly walk, it damages different areas of your body I guess. He was a mess, and he was no more than 40 years old. That year, I was in that treatment center a few different times, and he was there for most of them, so he spent a LONG time in that treatment center, but the last detox/treatment I did, he was finally gone, and I asked the counselor if he died, and he said nope, he finally went home.. I was shocked. I don't know though if he lived much longer, I assume not.. So terribley sad.. It should have scared the pants off me, but I continued to relapse.. DUMB.. The shock of seeing what could very easily been me, should have been enough to get myself into a good recovery, but nope, it took a couple more years.
But like I said, even with some liver damage, it can repair it's self. A true gift..
Love, Becky
Old 08-24-2005, 11:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

yeah...myy step father had cirrhosis of the liver...my father had hepatitis c and my step father had cirrhosis....hummm they are both resting now, but before the age of 53....so is it good to keep that organ in check..
thanks for the advice
OOOXXX
Odie
Old 08-24-2005, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

How are you feeling Odie? Did you get your liver checked yet? Just checking in with ya. Sending good wishes your way.

Thanks for your info, too, Becky. I always LOVE your posts!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Yes, Odie, how are you feeling.
I hope he comes back and shares..

Thanks so much.. I appreciate that compliment more than you can imagine. We all have so much to give to eachother. So many gifts really, don't you think..?
How are you doing?? Let us know please..

Love, Becky
Old 09-02-2005, 09:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

yes..i have wanted to go to nthe doctor, but...there is one problem...i want to leave that back door open....i want to tell.(about the abuse of hydros).but i cant ...just in case...i can!!! but i choose no to right now.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
help123

Odie,
I know what ur saying on telling the doctor. I had to tell my Lacrosse doc and he called my main doc and told him. I couldnt believe that he said he hadnt noticed. It was one of the worst times in my life! But now I am glad, that everybody knows. When u do tell him, have a person from ur support team with with u, that will help.