Thread: oohhh my liver
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
angelgirl
You're never alone!!

I was tested numerous times also, I have had symptoms that could be liver problems, and with as many percs and hydros I took, along with morphine, it's amazing that I got a good result back also. We were definately spared. God works wonders, I know it's god, because for me, and alot of you, we should not have a liver left.. We are lucky, for sure.
I do know that up to a certain point, livers are the most "forgiving" organ I believe we have. they will repair themselves, once the abuse stops, it is a wonderful thing, but it can only repair it's self up to a certain point of abuse, once you cross that line, it can no longer repair it's self.
When I was in treatment there was a guy, who was dying from cirhosis(sp?) or the liver, it was just awful. He was a bright yellow color, and he could hardly walk, it damages different areas of your body I guess. He was a mess, and he was no more than 40 years old. That year, I was in that treatment center a few different times, and he was there for most of them, so he spent a LONG time in that treatment center, but the last detox/treatment I did, he was finally gone, and I asked the counselor if he died, and he said nope, he finally went home.. I was shocked. I don't know though if he lived much longer, I assume not.. So terribley sad.. It should have scared the pants off me, but I continued to relapse.. DUMB.. The shock of seeing what could very easily been me, should have been enough to get myself into a good recovery, but nope, it took a couple more years.
But like I said, even with some liver damage, it can repair it's self. A true gift..
Love, Becky