Notices

Cravings..

Old 10-18-2022, 08:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

so far..so good. I am really missing the past.. remembering times when I was truly happy (before addiction) and longing for those days.. is that normal? Is it normal to remember these really fun times and long for them..? I know there won’t be fun times hanging with my childhood friends playing Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater.. but why am I craving and longing for those perfectly fun days? Why am I stuck in the past? At first I thought it was just days as a kid with no responsibility but no - I long for fun times as an adult. So it’s not responsibility.. just my funky brain rewriting itself perhaps.

song of the day: Superman - Goldfinger (thanks Tony Hawk).
Old 10-18-2022, 11:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me it was the loss of those subsequent years that got to me Jimmy.

I still do the teenage stuff I used to love to do - simple stuff like music, video games, hobbies...I'm lucky to have found, or rediscovered friends who like to do those things too.

I'm sure you'll be the same Jimmy

D
Old 10-18-2022, 11:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Jimmy
You will surprise yourself when you start to find new hobbies around you. I didn't look for any in particularly they found me. I live next to the sea and didn't use it at all, i do now at any opportunity. I walk, i spend more time with family i take numerous photos, some have found there way into frames on family walls which makes me smile. You are doing great Jimmy keep going.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Is it common to long for the past while in recovery? I’ve never really ever longed for the past..weird I guess..?
Old 10-19-2022, 06:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're all different Jimmy.
Whenever I longed for the past it was always with a sense of loss...I wanted the Dee back before the drugs etc...and I found him again....not exactly the same cos he was 20 years older and had been through a lot...but I recognised and embraced the old me.

No reason you cant do the same man

D
Old 10-19-2022, 11:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Like Dee said Jimmy.
I to also think back at times but then i remember i was in my 20s, no family no responsibility i just lived for the weekend out, the 2 weeks away in Spain with the lads. These were fun as i only remember the selected "good times".
Turned 50 this year so i will never get those times back, i dont want them now, im at a different stage of life and im embracing it as best i can. I now look forward instead of back and its a lot more exciting.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was doing so good.. then briefly relapsed. The thing about it.. it wasn’t fun. Guilt filled and not worth it. I cannot get high. My tolerance is too high.. and I just don’t want to. I just want to be able to live a sober life. I’m pretty sad I relapsed - but I see that “lemme just get high one more time” doesn’t work. Drugs don’t work for me. It’s nice to see they don’t. Not sure why I have to find things out the hard way. As always.. I love you all. Thank you for your words.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey you learned a lesson most of us did - you can't go back. Only way is forward Jimmy

D