Notices

Anyone recovering from opiate addiction

Old 05-13-2020, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone recovering from opiate addiction

Hello I have been surfing around the forums. And everyone is very helpful here. I know we all suffer from addiction. I just wanted to see if anyone is struggling with getting off of opiates.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sticky

I am, starting day one again tomorrow, i see in your thread youve made it two weeks a couple of times, thats good ive barely made it more than a few days in 7 years.

I really want to make a go of it this time, last time i was nearly past the physical withdrawals then the mental ones got me!

I've made a lot of mistakes and lost everything over the years and thats what makes it hard, thats what im trying to blot out.

Its a vicious circle, good luck mate, hopefully we can both do it this time!
Old 05-14-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The struggle is real today. Withdrawals is horrible I'm on day 3. I've been through this many times , I had a talk with my doctor and he wants me to taper off. This will be the last prescription from him. I'm like do I lay and pray or take the pills and taper then starty day one.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do what the Dr. tells you. Either way the hard part is after the acute withdrawals are done. Do you plan on doing meetings? You should. Look up PAWS it stands for Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome and its tough. It can be done but you're going to need to do some kind of exercise to get the brain firing correctly again. Thats why I always suggest NA or AA meetings their really helpful and they're free. A psychologist who specializes in addiction is always a good idea. Good luck to both of you we can and do recover peace Tom
Old 06-27-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep I’m on day 2 after getting a wee heroin habit during lockdown. I also started using crack regularly even though it’s not really my thing. So a couple of weeks like that and I thankfully saw the light and stopped.

im back in the uk right now H is 25% of the price in Oz it all seemed great value for money less damaging less everything. I was having a smoke probably every other weekend then it got me again. Always does. Then you have to plan when ur gonna stop. Pretty annoying.

on espranor 8mgs taking 2-3 a day not prescribed.

i had a baaad habit 6 years ago finally quit with the help of this forum.
I used to be RedManc7 back then.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to see you struggling again RM, but I'm glad you made it back here, man.

D
Old 07-17-2020, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A month or two late on this, but just wanted to say Welcome Back@RedManc07 - I remember your posts from when I was active here before.

@stickyone

Originally Posted by stickyone View Post
The struggle is real today. Withdrawals is horrible I'm on day 3. I've been through this many times , I had a talk with my doctor and he wants me to taper off. This will be the last prescription from him. I'm like do I lay and pray or take the pills and taper then starty day one.
I hope all is well. You say that you've been through it many times, so you and I both know you're in for a rough ride every time. We know the outcome any time we pick up or start a prescription again - there's going to be a withdrawal.

Do you have a non-Opiate way to deal with the physical pain you are experiencing?

Are there other options you could explore? Chiropractic, massage, therapy, etc?

I'm not sure exactly what you're dealing with (other than addiction and withdrawal), but I'm a huge fan of trying to find other ways than Prescription Opiates.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi all. Looks like I’m a little late to this thread, but I just got here, so I’ll chime in anyhow. I’d had a problem with heroin for a decade, but back in 2015 I finally got clean. 2 and a half months ago I relapsed again after 5 years. Losing all that time was pretty dismal. Using a little turned into a run in a flash, and suddenly it’s 2 months later.

I transferred from methadone maintenance to subutex (buprenorphine) about 6 months or so ago, and therefore had no idea that subutex will not hold you until after you complete yr detox - imagine my surprise when I couldn’t just re-induct myself after the requisite 24 hrs from the last dose and go about my business. Nope, full blown filthy withdrawals for a week instead. The desire to avoid those wds was a big part of why I kept on using as long as I did. Anyhow, I’ve got 5 days today and I’m beginning to feel human again, hallelujah.

Every day off that **** is a victory. Good luck everyone.

-Eppi.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

@Eppi Congrats on your 5 days!!!

Your story gave me chills. Thank you for sharing and I wish you the best moving forward. If I can ask, what led to your relapse, if you can pinpoint something(s)?

I was off of dope for ~9 yrs, and recently developed a medical issue where I was prescribed Tramadol for 90 days. I was scared to death to take it, but I was in unbearable pain - I had herniated a disc in my neck and my arm was all wonky, I was walking around like Quasimoto. I thought it was a sick joke that I had taken all the opiates in the past, but now I was scared to take pills that I wouldn't even bother with in addiction. I made it through that with the help of God, my loving family, and the NA program - my surgery was successful and I never took anything stronger than the Tramadols, but I've been struggling with chronic pain still 7+ months post acute onset. The struggle is real in knowing that I can take away my physical pain if I want (relapse), but the tradeoff is mental and emotional pain (and probably death).
Old 07-18-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chance219 View Post
@Eppi Congrats on your 5 days!!!

Your story gave me chills. Thank you for sharing and I wish you the best moving forward. If I can ask, what led to your relapse, if you can pinpoint something(s)?

I was off of dope for ~9 yrs, and recently developed a medical issue where I was prescribed Tramadol for 90 days. I was scared to death to take it, but I was in unbearable pain - I had herniated a disc in my neck and my arm was all wonky, I was walking around like Quasimoto. I thought it was a sick joke that I had taken all the opiates in the past, but now I was scared to take pills that I wouldn't even bother with in addiction. I made it through that with the help of God, my loving family, and the NA program - my surgery was successful and I never took anything stronger than the Tramadols, but I've been struggling with chronic pain still 7+ months post acute onset. The struggle is real in knowing that I can take away my physical pain if I want (relapse), but the tradeoff is mental and emotional pain (and probably death).
Hi there Chance. Thank you for yr well wishes, people are so sweet here. Wow, 9 years is something to be proud of, well done. I completely relate to the terror you described experiencing when prescribed painkillers. Being prescribed opiates/opioids for pain was the only thing I could figure that could easily take me out again (before my most recent relapse that is.) I was so terrified to light up those old neural pathways again and get the taste back in my mouth. Congratulations on sticking with yr program during a seriously vulnerable time, and I sincerely hope yr physical pain fades quickly. Lol @ having taken “all the opiates,” you and me both brother.

As far as my recent relapse is concerned, it went like this: I’d been having intensely vivid and graphic drug dreams around using dope. That in itself isn’t anything new, but the timing was poor. During this time, the lockdown occurred, and my country issued economic stimulus checks to its citizens. Right around this time, a very dear old friend of mine who is also in recovery (although he and I had been using buddies in the past) received his stimulus check as well, and unbeknownst to me he had been dealing with a lot of cravings. When he came by for a visit, I told him about all the awful dreams I’d been having, he admitted he was struggling too, and then he announced that he was gonna get a bag. He whipped out his phone and started making calls and that was that. It was a very odd experience, because even though I knew getting high would be a ******* disaster, I didn’t make a move to protest. I just relinquished my control and let him take over. I think a part of me believed that I could have a little chip and then just go back to real life. Good old delusional addict thinking. If anything, this relapse has cemented the fact that there’s no casual use for me, it will always become a run, and once that happens there’s no controlling what will happen or when/how it will stop.

I hope yr having a lovely weekend.
-Eppi
Old 07-19-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chance219 View Post
A month or two late on this, but just wanted to say Welcome Back@RedManc07 - I remember your posts from when I was active here before.

@stickyone

I hope all is well. You say that you've been through it many times, so you and I both know you're in for a rough ride every time. We know the outcome any time we pick up or start a prescription again - there's going to be a withdrawal.

Do you have a non-Opiate way to deal with the physical pain you are experiencing?

Are there other options you could explore? Chiropractic, massage, therapy, etc?

I'm not sure exactly what you're dealing with (other than addiction and withdrawal), but I'm a huge fan of trying to find other ways than Prescription Opiates.
Yes I am here ice been in the new to recovery section. Today I start on day 66. 2 week program was the thread I started. I told my doctor that I have been abusing my medicine. He decided to taper me off which I ended taking it all then going cold turkey. My medicine is for my arthritis condition, ice always been a active guy in exercise, but I had to work more on my inside and self esteem and self care. I've been reading alot and putting in alot of work. Ive always worked out so much but my opiate abuse has lead to lack of nutrition, within these 66 days I've been weighing training I've put on so much muscle, I've been asked by people if I'm on steroids lol. But yes I'm here still sober .