Notices

Financial help in recovery after treatment

Old 11-09-2018, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Financial help in recovery after treatment

Hi everyone. thank you for taking the time and helping me with this issue. I was at the Betty Ford Center for 2 months in Rancho Mirage, California and now I a m currently back home in Los Angeles doing a Intensive Outpatient Program for 6 months. I am having huge financial issues due to lawyers, paying for treatment programs, court fees etc. I haven't had a job in 4-5 years and can't find a job that will be sufficient enough to support me currently due to my IOP schedule. I remember my counselor at the Betty Ford mentioning that I can apply for financial aid from the good ole government. Would this be unemployment benefits or social security benefits\disability? If anyone could help me out with some information, that would be wonderful. Thank you so much and have a wonderful day!

67 days sober

One day at a time.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Supakenny, unless you qualify for Medicaid to help pay for your IOP and other medical/mental care, I don't think that you're going to qualify for any government assistance (soon). Your eligibility for unemployment is pretty specific to when and how you lost your job, so this far out it's not going to be an option; while disability benefits are extremely hard to get. Did Betty Ford not discuss with you the possibility of some of your cost being paid for by a "scholarship"? That, too, would depend upon your financial means, and you probably can work out some kind of long-term payment plan with them in lieu of that. Court obligations cannot, I think, be erased, but I don't know for sure: something to research. Finally, there is the option of bankruptcy, which will erase some of your debts but will wreck your credit worthiness. You are in a tough situation that doesn't have a magic fix to it.

I was left homeless and depended upon going back to my parents for a while, Medicaid and SNAP (aka food stamps), a housing program from HUD and a state program for those with dual-diagnosis to pay for the housing, lots of help to get back on my feet. I'm working now but am just able to make the bills for my rent/utilities, drug co-pays, and food month to month. I'm looking for a second job to get a little ahead and to start paying back on my court fees. It's rough.

NONE of this will compel me to pick up a drink today.