Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

My ex is abusing Xanax, what should I expect happens next?

Notices

Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been exiled by my ex since Halloween, due to his decision to buy Xanax from a friend and abuse it, and my apparent disapproval of how it changed him in an instant. We are freshly broken up, no doubts that could've been the trigger. I hadn't known the effects of Xanax by the time he had already fabricated lies about my love for him. He has twisted my compassion into an attempt to sabotage him, he doesn't remember when I brought him a homemade lunch last week, he thought I showed up to his work to harass him. He's been blasting lies about me online, and I recieved a message from one of his Facebook friends (I'm assuming) telling me to "f off". I am heartbroken to say the least, as his decision to sabotage himself is out of my control. He's whole demeanor changed, wearing his hair different, overly confident, acting like a horny teenager..He will most likely lose his new job, his manager sent him home last week for "looking like he popped a xanax or something", and he will eventually not be able to afford the pill from the streets. My question is this: What should I expect in the days, weeks, MONTHS to come? Once he runs out and his mind can get some sort of relief, I feel like he will make an effort to come back into my life (he's just too predictable). Although I am incapable of forgiveness at this time, I am almost longing for his realization of reality, more than I long for an apology. Will I ever expect to see this out of him? I have a strong sense that suffering addicts come back around to the ones who cared about them the most. And he knows what I've done for him out of love, that can't all be forgotten over a week of Xanax abuse right? Will he keep on believing the lies about my compassion that he fabricated himself? I don't know what happens to the mind once it weans off of this drug. I'm trying to find relief for myself, and I hope someone can provide me with that
Old 11-06-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know that much about Xanax addiction and can't answer your questions very well....but how he ends up being is unpredictable...everyone's use is different, their withdrawals are different and can vary. What they are like once clean also varies.

It's out of your hands and he's going to do what he's going to do. I' m sorry this is hurting you and things he has said hurts. He's probably not thinking clearly.....

But anyways, I want to stress to you that regardless of what he does you need to put yourself first and concentrate on yourself. I would cut all contact with him, including social media. It's not helpful to know what he's up to. Take extra good care of yourself and I hope you get help for your depression. Sending a big hug.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Xanax is highly addictive, with very ******-feeling withdrawals.

I can't really predict the next few months but if he can't afford Xanax at some point he could turn to something cheaper off the streets i.e. heroin etc.

He sounds like he's treated you terribly and his scum friends are buying it. I think the smartest thing to do for you is to remove yourself from the situation and avoid the trainwreck that's likely to happen. What happens when his boss fires him and he comes crawling back to you for forgiveness and money? You need to NOPE yourself outta there!
Old 11-09-2017, 12:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lol. It censored my word whoops. A synonym for it would be POOPY.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My heroin addict partner fell in love with Xanax when he tried them in the summer. It turned him into a zombie who would float about as if he was completely drunk. He would **** the bed, lose days and spend all the money on them. He stopped them and had sezuires. He mixed them with his methadone prescription and pre gabblin. Get out now while you still can. He still takes them now and doesn't seem to want to quit cause "they feel so good"
Don't waste your precious life and energy xx
Old 11-12-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Chrissy.
Welcome.
Agree with other posters’ observations.
Adding a warning about financials.
If he ever had access to your financial info, bank cards, credit cards, bank accounts, I would close them and start new ones .
Stat.
It isn’t unusual for the addict to get money by accessing exe’s accounts.
Have seen it on this forum.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sounds like there is more going on with him than just a couple weeks pill usage.

putting the drugs aside for a moment, is this behavior and treatment in any way acceptable to you? for ANY reason? this is your opportunity to make it very clear than you will protect your inherent value and self worth and NOT take any "yap it on FB" crap from anyone. best to shun jerks like that.

then when you add in the drugs, he's not only a jerk but very unstable and potentially dangerous. even more reason to shun jerks like that!!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

. My question is this: What should I expect in the days, weeks, MONTHS to come? Once he runs out and his mind can get some sort of relief, I feel like he will make an effort to come back into my life (he's just too predictable).
Who says he’s going to run out? Addicts are crafty when it comes to obtaining their drugs and I’d bet he’ll find more or change substances. From what you shared, he does not sound like he is anywhere near ready to give it all up and get into recovery.

The last thing you want is for this guy to come back into your life while he is still using or going through withdrawals.

But my guess is that he will come back around to you when he loses his job or has no money or needs something! Manipulation, lies and blame are the tools they use and someone who is vulnerable missing and being so in love with someone who is so in love with drugs, gets very very hurt.