Notices

My best friend

Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My best friend

I always hear you have to cut ties with every thing and everyone who you used with or things you did while useing but here's the thing my best friend lives at the beach left from down here tobget clean he has done very good so far until there were through in his face and he broke down he has quite again he is doing better than he has ever done were he is. Will we ever be able to be friends I mean you know the whole I'd take a bullet for you well he did i mean litteraly he rook a round for me and we'll I pretty much saved his life as well I just can't let him go I mean we have been frinds for 15 plus years we have been through the ringer together I really need some insight on all this please anyone give me some advise
Old 06-04-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! It must be something to have a friend like that. See here is the thing. It is important in EARLY RECOVERY to stay away from PEOPLE, PLACES and THINGS. There are just too many triggers when you are hanging with people who are using your DOC.

But there are exceptions to every rule. There are people on this board who are MARRIED to spouses who are USING and still manage to remain in recovery. So if they can do it so can you!

Plus, your friend is trying to get clean too right? So, he's not actively using or in denial? So maybe this buddy of yours will end up being a great recovery buddy?

Just my two cents.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cleaninLI View Post
Wow! It must be something to have a friend like that. See here is the thing. It is important in EARLY RECOVERY to stay away from PEOPLE, PLACES and THINGS. There are just too many triggers when you are hanging with people who are using your DOC.

But there are exceptions to every rule. There are people on this board who are MARRIED to spouses who are USING and still manage to remain in recovery. So if they can do it so can you!

Plus, your friend is trying to get clean too right? So, he's not actively using or in denial? So maybe this buddy of yours will end up being a great recovery buddy?

Just my two cents.
Yeah he is try with everything he has I just don't know how he will be I love the boy to death and we served together he was the one who drugg me out of harms way when I was hurt overseas that's were he got hurt saving my life I mean you name we have been through it together I just don't know I want to be of my doc and I wanna still be around him but I want of drugs more I am just so confused but you say the early stages he is good enough of a friend to understand but how long should I wait
Old 06-04-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think there is a specified time. It really just depends on how you feel. How much you are craving...and how much of a threat to your sobriety he is at that time. I've noticed that 4 to 6 months seems to be a good time-line on when cravings dissipate....when you feel comfortable in your recovery. You will know.

I can certainly understand the comradely you guys feel. My husband was in the army too. He just missed going to Panama because I was giving birth to his first child at that time. His superior asked if another member of his unit wanted to go in his place and a few raised their hands. In some ways my husband regrets not going but in some he's glad he didn't.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes it's a bond that will rarely ever be broken thank you so much for your support
Old 06-04-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't change all the 'people places and things' when I got clean and sober...just the ones that weren't good for my recovery

D
Old 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks dee spoke with him a Lil while ago he fully understands wich is great I will stay away until the worst of it is over