Notices

Intervention

Old 05-29-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intervention

Does the show Intervention ever give you drinking or using thoughts? I feel like most of the time it doesn't, and I really like the show, but once in a while there will be a certain episode that gets to me. Usually it's when the person in the episode does something almost exactly to how when I was using. Like maybe it reminded me of how I acted on whatever or something like that. Just curious if anyone else ever thought that, or even on other shows or movies.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've watched it a few times. Though it doesn't give me using thoughts, my DOC was crack, and I have to turn the channel when they show someone using crack.

I've got over 8 years in recovery, but I still don't want to watch someone smoking it. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but I think it's good? That was who I was, not who I am today but I recognize the lure of how it used to affect me and I don't want that any more.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-29-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Nope. Quite the opposite. Seeing someone that messed up on drugs/booze makes me grateful I'm not doing that.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
I've watched it a few times. Though it doesn't give me using thoughts, my DOC was crack, and I have to turn the channel when they show someone using crack.

I've got over 8 years in recovery, but I still don't want to watch someone smoking it. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but I think it's good? That was who I was, not who I am today but I recognize the lure of how it used to affect me and I don't want that any more.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Yeah I don't know if it's an ok thing or a bad thing to watch. I mean it doesn't make me want to go right out and use right away, and if I do get those "anxious reminders", then I too would just turn the channel. Congrats on the 8 years in recovery! I can't wait till I get that far.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Nope. Quite the opposite. Seeing someone that messed up on drugs/booze makes me grateful I'm not doing that.
I see your point there too. Like it makes me not want to look that stupid again.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Real! Welcome to SR!
For me...It's both. Depending on the scene and what's going on. It's like when they show the repercussions or the negative side of drug use....ie. homelessness, possible overdose and all the fighting and stuff it reminds me of how out of hand my life had become. But when I watch the person actually using and the "high" that's going along with it....then it can be triggering. (I can't recall too many of those scenes, they probably limit them....but even alcohol bottles lying around can be triggering for me. It's weird how something not overly obvious can still be triggering? ) So basically, I have to watch with caution and be prepared to shut it off or switch channels when necessary.