Notices

Day 4 and in need of some help!

Old 08-19-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 and in need of some help!

Its been 4 days since I last had alcohol in my system. The first night was easy, second was difficult, and last night I was doing great! I've been struggling all day today. My depression is slowly creeping up on me and ive been smoking been a cigarette like every 20 min to try and curb my cravings. Idk what to do im going crazy! I only have a couple more weeks before i go to in-patient and i would really love to be able to keep my sobriety but im hurting pretty bad. I want to sleep but for the life of me i cannot fall asleep! Anybody have any words of wisdom? Seriously, anything helps lol
Old 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you are feeling...Day's 3 and 4 were always the hardest for me...Whenever I craved I dove straight into the fruit bowl...Boy did I get through a lot of fruit in those early days....Also used to suck on sweets...Fruit pastilles,wine gums,jelly teddies and lollipops lol but they all seemed to do the trick for me....Just keep at it,it really does get better.....Take care....Steve.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your advice Steve! Sweets sound really good right now I think I might have to go out later and get some lol
Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This technique was useful for me.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

I learned I could feel cravings, but not feel the need to act on them...and they went away.

That was a real revelation to me

D
Old 08-19-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've never heard of that before but I am really liking the whole concept of it. My urges have subsided for now but next time I can feel them coming on I will have to try that and see how it works for me! Thank you, I appreciate your help (:
Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try your best to stay busy, and get through minutes or hours at a time. Exercise and freh air has helped to distract me and tire me enough to sleep a little better

Hang in there!! I believe in you!!
CH
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you! I ended up passing out, slept horribly but at least it was sleep ha ill have to try the whole fresh air thing. A lot of people have suggested it im just really stubborn lol but thanks again guys for offering suggestions! I appreciate it (:
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Electric, you're doing great. Excersize works wonders! Great for your body and your brain. You will bounce back to normal so much quicker! I know its the last thing you feel like doing because you are so sluugish and achy in the beginning. You have to force yourself to do it anyway. After you spend about an hour doing something aerobic style, such as walking, jogging, swimming or biking you will get that familiar sence of well being you miss. Try it today, you won't be disappointed! You will sleep so much better also. Congratulations!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks cleanin! I bought like 3 pounds of jolly ranchers and I plan on going for a bike ride when the sun goes down a little. Thank you for the support! You're pretty good at that lol
Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Eating healthy food works great, too. Low blood sugar can make you cravey and while sweets will help that, it will only be temporary and will then cause your blood sugar to crash soon after making you feel worse.

Carrots, nuts, a glass of milk, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, dried fruit, etc. are all really great.

Plus, after being an alcoholic for too long, your body is low on nutrients and that contributes to feeling bad as well, so eating healthy stuff helps to give your body what it needs to repair itself.

Reading stuff on here helps, too.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wink

In the early days I wouldn't worry too much about snacks, smoking or whatever.
Even if it's difficult to concentrate try and get involved with something creative and healthy.
Maybe: music, jogging, gym, collecting, new foods, AA, rambling, reading,walking etc

Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been eating a steady diet of jolly ranchers and grapes lol all I want to eat is sugar. I biked a little bit and have been thinking of getting back into the guitar. I figure I wait to start the guitar back up until i stop with the shakey hands. The jolly ranchers help though, i now highly recommend them lol. Thank you DG0409 and Murchovski for your advice! Its all slowly starting to sink in for me! (: