Notices

No More Wake'n'Bake

Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
7 months

Well, it's 7 months weed-free for me today.

Today is proving to be an exceedingly crappy day, but I'm still clean and sober.
Excellent! It is pretty amazing how much easier it gets, isn't it?

I'm now at 13 1/2 months and the cravings are non existent.

Here is one for ya!
Todd Rundgren - Bang On The Drum HD - YouTube
Old 02-18-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Thanks Hope. Love that song.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go DG

D
Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Had a 'slip' last week. I don't really like that word, but not sure what else to call it. I don't like to mention this type of thing, but I think that a policy of complete honesty is crucial. I'd had a terrible migraine for days and I just wanted something to help relieve the pain. In the same situation, truth be told, I'd probably do it again. I'd like to avoid the situation though.

So, I went to the Dr. today and got a prescription for some legit meds for the problem. I don't want to be in that same position of being in terrible pain and not having anything to make it better.

The other good thing is that I previously didn't have a Dr. so now I have one and if I have any future problems, I know where to turn. Any future problems and I will call for an appointment at the first sign of trouble.

I think going to the Dr. was really a positive step in the right direction. When I was drinking and smoking a lot of weed, I would have just drank and smoked over any pain and never considered that I should go see a Dr. I neglected my health.

I can't undo what happened, but I feel good about having taken steps to prevent a repeat. The other thing that is on my mind is that I'd like to work towards reworking my living situation such that I'm not living with somebody who keeps the stuff around. I realize that having it around does put me at some risk of using. It probably wouldn't have happened if I hadn't had immediate and easy access to it.

I may also consider if there are any other actions that I need to be taking in my recovery. Although in general, I don't feel as though I'm having relapse-type thoughts. I have no desire to smoke any more and really do feel that all I wanted was the physical pain to go away. I haven't turned to it to drown out any emotional pain.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

DG- living with someone who has it around has to be terribly difficult. I have not smoked in 5 months and I am positive that would not be the case if it were in my apartment!

In early sobriety (under a year) and even afterward, they say that we should try to stay away from "people, places and things" that may trigger cravings such as drug dealers and bars. Having smoked only twice when people and things are under your roof is pretty tremendous!

That being said, it is good to be aware of how often you have slips, as addiction is progressive and the space between those slips will become smaller and smaller if you don't remain vigilant!

It's awesome that you're being honest with yourself and SR.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing the Dr, DG.

The worst pot triggers for me were the ones that had some validity....it was easy to convince myself that it's ok cos I had a valid reason this time...whether it was pain relief or creativity...

but I also had nearly 30 years of experience (which I ignored) that showed me unequivocally it was a really bad idea.

D
Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

It's OK, DG... you know what to do. Pain is very tough to ignore, so good for you that you are addressing it with your Dr.

Get back on the horse, Girl!!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

I have found that the best treatment for my migraines is to lay down with ice on my head. I usually lay down on the ice because the hard edges of the ice cubes on pressure points can also be helpful. I read recently that placing the ice on the front of the neck (on the carotid arteries) works for some migraine sufferers. I haven't had a migraine since reading it, but I will be careful when I try it that I don't put too much pressure on those arteries.

I have also found that a high protein meal, especially salmon, will help when the migraine is starting to subside. The Omega 3s may be helpful in the salmon.

For me, Tylenol is completely ineffective. Ibuprofen and aspirin just take the edge off.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Just now saw your post stucco. Thanks for the info. Funny, once I went to the Dr. and got meds for my migraines, I haven't had a problem with them again. Go figure. But I know they could come back.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

3 days clean.

It's nice seeing this. I'm sure on certain levels that my addiction to weed isn't as bad as the many other heavier drug addictions I see here on SR. But to me, weed is sneaky. It helps me convince myself that it isn't as addictive as the other harder drugs. Then I smoke and start that cycle again. Afterwards my thinking becomes foggy and I get anxiety again among other things. Weed is no escape. I hope everyone here can find the strength to fight that convincing inner voice
Old 03-24-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Hi Elemental. I found weed was sneaky too. I've heard people say that cigarettes are one of the most addictive things and can be has hard to quit as cocaine- but weed was harder to quit for me. I think maybe it varies from person to person what is hardest to quit. Weed never left me passed out on the bathroom floor and it never sent me to the hospital like alcohol. But it still robbed me of my life. It made me think I was having fun when in reality I was doing nothing but sitting around smoking weed. Glad you're here and welcome to SR.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I meant to mention on this thread that I hit 8 months weed free about a week ago. Pretty amazing how far I've come. I'm loving being clean and sober.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

DG0409 CONGRATS, on your 8 months, I'm so happy for you and I bet you are feeling so amazing being clean & sober here's to 8 more!!!!!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Thanks godsent.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

8 months is awesome DG! So proud of you! And thanks for posting your journey, it has helped many of us.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Thanks Bunny.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Well, yesterday was 11 months!!

I've been keeping busy and feel pretty engaged in my life. I really don't think about weed often and I don't miss it. Sobriety and recovery have brought many blessings to my life.

I feel so much more relaxed, calm and centered in my life. Plus I have more energy, motivation and excitement for doing things and accomplishing things.

Not to mention that my finances are much better and I have money for a lot of other stuff that I enjoy.

I'm so glad I decided to quit smoking weed. I'm really looking forward to that 1-year milestone, even though I know it's not as though anything will magically change at that point.

Kind of hard to believe it's been 11 months. So many things in my life have changed over that time.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
This is so AWESOME.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats DG