Notices

Why can't I stay away from this stupid drug..

Old 01-03-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why can't I stay away from this stupid drug..

Dextromethorphan.
A cough suppressant that when taken in large amounts has similar hallucinogenic affects as PCP and Ketamine.

However this drug has nothing to offer me anymore.. I used to get these really beautiful experiences and now I just get buzzed and throw up.

It's ruining my life and I don't know why I can't get passed this. I get a week or two off the drug and end up going back to it, thinking things will be different and they never are.

It's like I have such a psychological attachment to this substance.. I've been going to NA but I have such little faith, it's hard for me to believe that there's a power that can relieve my obsession with this drug..
Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The power is in YOU not someone or something else.

You can't get away from the drug because you are addicted to it just like most of us here at this site. There are those addicted to alcohol in its various forms and then there are the drugs. I am addicted to anything that can give me the feeling you describe. That beautiful experience. But it's false - every time.

All dependencies end up in this same boat and only those strong enough to help themselves or find others to help them can make it.

It is exceptional that you recognize the dependency for what it is but also recognize it's power. The next step along the line is to try something stronger. Dex has lost its promise and now you must either search for something stronger which is the road to hell or continue to search and find a way to get away. This site has helped me tremendously. There is a lot of help here.

Don't look to AA or NA to cure you or somehow remove the difficulty of withdrawing. The support of others is very helpful but no one can do this for you. ONly you can do this for yourself. Others can only help.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"The power is in YOU not someone or something else."

Amen! +10000000000000
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you. I totally get it.But actually NA or AA can cure you if you do the work. It did for me. I got sober from alcohol at 25 years old. I went to meetings almost every day for five years. I have never drank again. 10 years of alcohol. When I stopped going to meetings it was not too long after that I found opiates. Now I am trying to kick that.

In recovery, I believe you must trust that there is a Higher Power. That is crucial. I say that because believe me there is no way I could have gotten sober from drinking at 25 when all my friends were still partying and drinking all the time. My Higher Power did it when I did the work. There is no other explanation that I could get sober at that young age than my Higher Power. (For me, Jesus Christ). I absolutely loved to drink and party. To think I have not had a drink in 10 years is nothing short of a miracle that my Higher Power gave me.

My Higher Power is helping me kick opiates too. Whenever I ask for His help it comes. If I do the footwork He does the stuff I cannot do.

Hang in there. This is all very tough but you can be sober for the rest of your life.