Notices

Otc

Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Struggling

Unhappy Otc

I have a big problem with over the counter cough medicine, DXM more specifically, but I always used it by taking cough medicine. I'm coming up on my sixth month mark of not using it, but I am starting to feel the cravings again. Usually the idea of using will come into my head once and then over the next couple days I start obsessing about it. I get to the point where I want to do it so bad that I tell myself, " It's been so long; I'll be able to handle myself this time and not do it repeatedly and not spiral my life out of control. " But, of course, I always do. I have been in and out of psych wards due to psychoses or overdosing horrendously. I've been kicked out of my house but my parents have taken me back time and again. I also don't know how to ask for help because whenever I try to talk to someone about it the addict in me is really just looking for one person to say " It's okay if you use. "

While I have certainly seen benefits to sobriety, I don't think I have truly embraced it as I wasn't physically addicted but still finding myself wanting to use more often than not. Sometimes I can't stop myself from mentally replaying all of the better times I've had while using. Maybe I should get a substance abuse counselor. I just don't know.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Maybe I should get a substance abuse counselor. I just don't know."

This sounds like a great idea. You need to think it all the way through right to you sitting in the psych ward or worse. Sharing here is a start keep it up
Old 09-09-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm addicted to the same substance, DXM.

I suggest going to NA.