Notices

Needing a little guidance please.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing a little guidance please.

My husband stopped snorting roxis about 15 days ago. He went through withdrawals partially on his own and then he went to see a dr. She prescribed him suboxone 8mg a day and seroquel for mild depression. I got nervous because he was really incoherent and lathargic 4 nights later so I called his dr. She told me he was combining the subs with xanax based on what I was describing his symptoms to be. He went back in the next day and she told him no xanax or any other unprescribed meds.
Now, we have 5 children; 3 whom are on the autism spectrum. There was a special event for them today at the beach but my husband worked so I took them myself. They range from 2yrs to 8yrs old. It was really tough but my kids had the best day ever.
Now, when he got home he criticized me for them having sunburn even though I used sunblock and criticized that I spent 4 hours there which attributed to their sunburn.
He is accusing me of cheating daily but I don't think he really thinks I am cheating.
From thost who have been through this; is he trying to make himself feel better by making what I do and don't bad so he does not feel bad himself.
What is going on? Thanks
Old 06-20-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum! Those were pretty medical questions that ought to be discussed with the doc (as you have done). I can say that it takes awhile to get stabilized on suboxone, certainly more than a few days. Where did xanax come from? From what you said, that sounded like a wild guess, did the guy have some or say he did? As to seroquel, a number of us who have been on suboxone have been prescribed this drug a "safer" alternative to sleep meds, etc., and many have reported all sorts of weird effects. At least the guy has sought help, now its all up to him (relying on just meds won't cut it). I'd say you might want to give him a break and wait until he has a chance to stabilize and see what happens!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He got the xanax from my prescription. I suffer from anxiety myself. I did not know he took any but when I spoke to the dr. that was her first guess. She said benzos like xanax would be the only combo that would cause that affect. I asked him and he said that he had been taking them since starting the suboxone to take the edge off.
I sort of feel like he feels like he is incapable of being part of the family right now and is having a hard time with the kids doing stuff with me and not him.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If he feels the need for something "to take the edge off" he might be on too low of a dose. Many people find that making a record of their symptoms to show their doc is helpful. I needn't be anything fancy: just jotting down how they feel, the time, and how long it lasts. There is really no way around going through stabilization, unless the doc shoots high on the dose. Usually, though, they start lower and raise as needed. The "best" dose is the lowest amount that completely controls symptoms, and finding it can take a while. Fortunately, doing so with suboxone is easier than with methadone, that took me close to six months, but when I switched I was OK in less than a week. Self-prescribing can only make things worse!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know when I was detoxing...not just the physical symptoms but the mental ones as well..I was SUPER touchy and irritable. I would snap about little things that wouldn't bother a non addict. In the beginning I also felt a bit resentful of people around me because I felt like they couldn't understand what I was going through. I would suggest that he try a NA meeting to get out some of those frustrations that he might be having.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, those meetings are essential. It doesn't matter if he chooses NA or AA. Nobody skips into those groups because they want to be there, so expect complaints and resistance. The important thing is to keep going, find groups that he feels more comfortable with, then stick with them.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, he went back to the dr. today and she doubled his dose of suboxone and she prescribed him two other medications; trileptal and vistaril.
He works too often and too far away to go to NA meetings.
He is seeing a psychiatrist and a counselor in the same office and they allow him to come in after work. The nice thing about the office is that they will not turn him away even if he does not have an appointment.
He is all up, down, and around right now. He wants to love me but he is unable to express love or feel happiness with his instability at this time.
My emotions are all over the place too. I am not as nice as I should be to him because the resentment and irritability is hard to handle.
I planned a date for us on Thursday night. I don't know what his mood will be like but we will be going on a stroll down the beachside where there will be food, art, shopping, and music.
In the meanwhile I have been doing amazing activities with my children and making their days fun because what they encounter during their youth will imact their lives as adults. I love my kids and they love me.
I love my husband too. He is not easy to love right now though. Time will tell.