Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Hooked on Oxycontin/Percocets, ready to quit the cycle

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

all! Here's my situation.

Since February I've taken OxyContin 40 mg 3x daily and Percocet 10mg 2 x daily as needed.

What started as a legit script for back problems has now turned into a fullblown addiction. For the past 4 months I have been snorting by Oxy and taking my percocet to the point that I run out 2 weeks into my one month prescription.

I'm tired of the cycle of withdrawal and really need to quit. I've always had help to keep me from going through w/d's until I get my script filled, but that help is no long available. It got me thinking about: "Do I really want the rest of my life to be this way?"

The answer is no.

Today is day #1 without any oxy and I took my last 10mg perc this morning.

I'm going to try to follow the Thomas recipe because I do have some left over valium that was prescribed to me early on when I hurt my back (17 5 mgs to be exact).

Any help you guys can offer me through this process will help. To compound the problem, I am a journalist for a local newspaper and I have to work all week starting tomorrow. I am determined to use no more opiates though and plan on calling to tell my doctor about what has been going on sometime this week.

Thanks for all your help in advance. I know it's different for everyone, but how long will it take me to get through the physical part?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-04-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

60 mgs isnt a bunch but its enough to make you feel bad. Call in with the flu its gonna take a few days. the detox recipe only works if you quit all the drugs tho dropping the oxys isnt enough. The flu is going around the volunteer state now so you should be okay there.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am determined to use no more opiates though and plan on calling to tell my doctor about what has been going on sometime this week.
sometime this week? Why wait? and what do you plan on saying to your doctor?....have you really thought it through on what role you'd like to be responsible for where your doctor is concerned? Are you ready to say to your doctor "Im an addict, I'm done, I need help, please don't prescribe me any more narcotics to feed my addiction. I need your help to recover."

These are questions you may want to consider for yourself.

Welcome to SR, Sincerely,
Missy
Old 10-04-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faerie

Welcome from a fellow opiate addict.

Opiates are nasty, insidious drugs aren't they, you just don't realise when you start taking them you're gonna end up an addict.

Yes, go to your doctor and be 100% honest about your problem, that's what I did, I'm now on a slow taper and doing really well.

There are so many options for you when it comes to beating your addiction and your doctor will help you decide on the best method.

You can do this honey, so many people here have beaten pills successfully.

Much love and understanding,

Faerie
Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by baggervance View Post
60 mgs isnt a bunch but its enough to make you feel bad.
My math adds up to 120mg OC and 20 mg oxy IR = 140mg total oxy. I've never researched the Thomas method, so I don't know what it promises. But, personally, I don't see being able to work a job while detoxing off that much oxy. Maybe I'm just a whimp. As you said, TE, everyone is different. Still 5 (sometimes 7) days is average, but 3 days can do it for some or at least be sufficient for the worst of the withdrawal symptoms. It depends on several factors... amount of opiate used, length of addiction, and your own make-up.

If all is going according to plan, you're pretty sick right about now. If you get a chance to post and let us know how you are making out, that would be great. I commend you for your decision to get clean. One of the greatest forces that started me getting off oxys was a change in supply. I'll warn you that it's not the most helpful reason to give you the determination to stick to your resolve, but IMO anything that gets you started is good.

I agree with the other posters. It's very important to come clean with your doctor ASAP. It's too easy to talk yourself out of doing it. I did. So, I know how detrimental waiting can be. I suggest calling your doctor first thing Monday morning. It was the weekend when I got serious this last time and I decided to let my doctor know. So, I wrote her and I mailed my letter, explaining that I was doing it that way because I was afraid that if I waited, I would change my mind. Those bridges can be extremely hard to burn. But, if they are left standing after detox, most addicts WILL cross them again (this addict did).

That's enough for you to read, I'm sure. Know that I'm keeping you in my prayers.