Notices

Oxycondone Addict Needs Help Tapering...

Old 10-03-2009, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oxycondone Addict Needs Help Tapering...

Hello. This is my first time using one of these sites but ive been reading posts for the last 4 hours and I feel some of you on here will end up being my guardian angel.

I have been persribed oxycodone for the last two years. Started on them for lower back pain after an accident but I have continued waaaay past the pain because the pills made me feel happier than any anti-depressant I had ever taken. I now take 8, 15mg pills every 2-3 hours.

Im at the point where Im misserable, no longer get high or feel happy and these pills are ruining everything in my life. I just want to stop and feel like myself again.

I NEED HELP.

Has anyone here every tappered off a simular dose??? Im wondering how I should go about setting up a tappering plan to go from 120 total mg's a day to nothing. I know there will be some mild w/ds (i hope) but I'll have to deal. I need this process to be as painless as possible as I cannot take time off of work, have no health ins and suffer from super anxiety not to mention the world's bigger fear of throwing up.

I guess all im trying to say is im scared ******** and I need big time advice, support and love from you guys. DAY ONE will start tomorrow, sunday oct 4th.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faerie

Hi Pope,

I'm tapering off of codeine myself.

First thing I did was see a doctor for advice, none of us can give you medical advice mate.

See a good doctor and they will come up with a plan for you.

It is achievable, I'm down from 60 a day to 15.

You can do this, tapering has worked for quite a few of us here, it's not easy but it can be done.

Please talk to a doctor and be completely honest about how much you use.

Much Love and understanding,

Faerie
Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Hey Pope!

Welcome!!

Congratulations on getting ready to make some seriously positive changes in your life!

I can identify with many of the feelings you shared in your post. I am a recovering opiate addict, 201 days clean (and 5 from cigarettes!). I smoked heroin for 6 years and detoxed on my own.

I can't give you advice on a tapering plan, but I do want to let you know that for all of this to work, you're probably going to have to accept that the process of getting off the drugs is not always going to be easy or peachy -- it's just fundamentally important that we go through whatever it is we need to go through, no matter what. It IS worth it.

Just out of curiosity, if you don't have any health insurance, how are you still getting prescriptions and the pills in hand?

I am so proud of you for reaching out, and I'm so glad you're here. You'll see there are many wonderful people in this group.

Addiction is isolating by nature, and its treatment is about the opposite. You never have to be alone with your addiction again. I warmly and sincerely hope you try out an NA meeting (or explore other recovery based alternatives) to get and keep your addiction in remission.

I know how much I thought I wanted to go this road alone...until I realized how many other gifts would be in store for me if I didn't.

Best wishes!

Huge hugs!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
Addiction is isolating by nature, and its treatment is about the opposite. You never have to be alone with your addiction again.
I just have to quote this statement. It's incredibly concise in its insightfulness.

That's why I, too, am so proud of you for reaching out, pope.

Unfortunately, just as SteppingItUp can't help you with a tapering plan, neither can I. Tapering off oxy didn't work for me, nor did trying to quit in isolation. I do believe that if a tapering program can be successful for an addict, it's best if it's directed by a physician and most practical (and maybe the only way possible) if the pills are dispensed to the addict. I believe that if we were able to take control of our drug intake, we wouldn't be active addicts.

When I first detoxed back in May, I was very much like you: I couldn't take time off work and I suffered from super, horrible, feels like I'm gonna die anxiety. But, when I got really serious about quitting, having tried to taper off and failing miserably, I took a long weekend off from work despite it seeming impossible at one time and I survived the anxiety. There are meds that your doctor can prescribe to help with some of the withdrawal symptoms. I found that Neurontin really helped with my anxiety during detox (and it's not a benzo) and I got a Catapres patch for the RLS along with all the OTC stuff recommended for detox.

Welcome to the world of wanting recovery. It's a big step that you've taken, Just keep taking steps forward.

:ghug3
Hugs,
Christin
Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero