Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Is it wise to have opiate dependency in your medical records?

Notices

Is it wise to have opiate dependency in your medical records?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by Vintersemestre View Post
Yeah I am... just like other people take antidepressants.
Well, at least I now understand better your position on opiate addiction and recovery. And if that's what your qualified doctors think you need to succeed, mazel tov. But it sure appears to be a case of "take my advice, I"m not using it".
And (to use you own cancer analogy) although a cancer survivor, I would not deign to believe myself qualified to offer counseling to a victim of breast cancer. While the basic mechanism of disease may be similar, the emotional and spiritual outcome are quite different.
That said, I vowed never to "argue" with an active opiate user. I remain steadfast in that. Best wishes.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Vinter.....Yeah, I was also pleasent to be around when I was on opiates...happy as a clam, got along great with everyone....TILL I RAN OUT!

Penny
Old 08-03-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I respect your opinion on the hells of addiction- I've nearly died from ODs on pills three times- however, you may want to imagine what its like having a crushed femur and a doctor refusing medication before you disclose. Addiction remains a HUGE stigma. I have no guilt about keeping my history between my sponsor, family and me. My addiction doctor fully supports me in this decision, as she works in the ER outside of her private practice. The horror stories she's told me regarding patients being denied medication..oh my God...
Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
Vinter.....Yeah, I was also pleasent to be around when I was on opiates...happy as a clam, got along great with everyone....TILL I RAN OUT!

Penny
I'm sure you were since you were high. I don't get high. The psychological effect is a subtle change that occurs gradually and only comes full circle about a month after induction. A SPECT scan reveals that I barely produce any endogenous opioid peptides, thus the action makes sense, as my body adapts to a chemical it has been sorely missing for 25 years. I don't expect you to understand this.

Also, running out is only a problem if you abuse them and take more than you're supposed to. Interestingly, when you do what the doctor tells you, you don't run out and you can pick more up at the pharmacy on the date indicated on the receipt, oddly enough.

Originally Posted by Stagebear View Post
I vowed never to "argue" with an active opiate user
Do I have to drink from a different water fountain and ride at the back of the bus too?