Notices

addict for life: what does it really mean?

Old 10-11-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
turning red!

addict for life: what does it really mean?

Hi all,
i've been reading Crhymes thread & answers and i got a question in the same line, or quite (?), but i don't know if i'll be able to express my idea/concern as it's quite confusing to me (and plus i have the excuse that English is not my first language, hehe)
i've read that casual drinking for recovering addicts is a dangerous slip of the brain as anything which has the "feeling good" effect is a trigger to the brain, which will send message of "wanting more", and which eventually could end up in full blown relapse.
So my question is: if drinking (which originaly is not the DOC) has this effect because it feels good, then what about the rest? Like sex, food, chocolate, dancing and etc etc etc???
Does that mean that an ex-addict has to avoid all things that make them feel good in a fear that the brain is wired to old DOC and might want more and more and more? I know i'm extreme here but that's my point, i'd love to understand more.

Thanks
Carine
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that certain chemical we put into our bodies, such as drugs and alcohol, affect the way our brain's receptors work. So while most things, like sex, chocolate, etc. make us "feel good" like our DOC, I think chemically it's different. I'm not good at explaining this stuff. Maybe BV will be around. He's really good at it.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Carine)))

I can only tell you my experience, and thoughts, as an RA. Alcohol can be dangerous for us, as it is a substance giving us that good feeling. Some RA's can drink, occasionally, and not have a problem with it, but the ones I know have at least a year of good recovery under their belt.

I have found lots of things that bring me joy, naturally, and none of them have ever done anything but make me more glad that I'm in recovery, and to keep on that path.

It's when we A's get slack on recovery, and take some kind of substance, that triggers the old thinking.

As an A, I will probably always get thoughts of using when I'm stressed out. Today, they are simply thoughts and I don't have to act on them. In fact, my mind has gotten to the point where it immediately says "not an option" and goes on to something else.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-11-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, it's my old friend from HK! What up, girl?

I would say those things you mention are nothing to worry about, those are all 'natural' highs, and your body will regulate 'how good' or 'how high' you ever feel from any of those things, which is to say, it'll never be that extreme or long-lasting. They don't really have hangovers or w/d's associated with them either. Also, they won't trigger that feeling of having 'blown your clean time' the way that taking other drugs or alcohol will. I mean, this is not to say there isn't SOME chance an addict might become addicted to sex or chocolate or exercise instead of their DOC, but ... frankly, I'd say that's a sign of not having properly worked a program of recovery, and in any case, those still aren't nearly as bad of addictions to have ... at least, not in the large majority of cases.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

For me, there is no trail that leads from exercise or dancing or food back to my DOC. But, given my addict tendancies, and the way my brain works, I can quite quickly fall into patterns that are repetitive and unhealthy related to anything that gives off a feel good sensation. I can eat way more than I need or should, excercise to unhealthy extents, have sex until my you know what falls off...Do I avoid these activities knowing who I am? No. I just watch myself a little closer than I used to, and try to practice the principles I have learned in all my affairs, not just drugs and alcohol.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm addicted to health foods, running, lifting weights, spiritualism, sex, enjoying life, and music (among other things).

(If I run 5 miles I let myself eat chocolate, lol.)

I gave up the drugs and alcohol addictions though.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It simply means that if you are an addict you will never be able to use again.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
Trying2Recover said it the way I see it.

An addict for life for me means more than simply using drinking and drugging again. Those are simply symptoms of something more. Those same patterns effect other areas in obsessive/compulsive behavior. There are other unhealthy addictions that continue to follow the patterns of using. And although (for instance) playing video games for hours at a time (have an Xbox 360 on layaway to continue this trend!), or spending too much time on the Internet, may not trigger the use of drugs - they do continue the pattern.

I'm finding - especially while I'm still in early recovery, I need to limit my over-excessive obsessions and compulsions and use that mind-set on my recovery. Not the easiest thing to do. I want what I want when I want it. I also want recovery. I'm trying to live the principles I am learning and applying them to my everyday life. Not just for using drugs, but do I need to run immediately to the pc and check my email? No...let it sit for awhile. Do I need to get that Xbox out tomorrow and jump back into gaming immediately? Sure as hell want to, but I know I can get sucked back into THAT real easy! Let it wait and make the payments! Maybe I'll start to build my library of games I want in the meantime. (Note to self - don't get carried away there either!)

Addiction is a life thing. It's in all aspects of my life...not just using drugs.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well they taught me in n/a that alcohol is a drug..and that any mind altering substance could lead me back to my doc.i don't think chocolate and such are considered because they're not mind altering substances..they sure r gooood.. i know.. but my minds clear enough on them to know when to say when..sometimes.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
turning red!

Thanks all for your answers, i appreciate
yeppp that's the thing with addiction, it's always on the extreme ;P
I've always told my bf that he was extreme in everything he does/think, and that's weird because i'm so completely opposite to him: i can smoke one cig per day or less and be content. I can drink when i go out only etc etc etc...I guess it's a luck.
I'm proud of you all cos you must fight much harder to control yourself and when you do -control yourself- then you are truely strong.
One thing though (cos it must be tired to always have to control everything, for those like Whisker who has to fight against getting his game library right now hehe), besides going to meetings and stuff, do you seek therapy for this obsessive/compulsive behaviour? I think it could help make life easier, no?
I'm really thinking my bf should go therapy. Especially he says "meetings is not his thing". Of course i won't force him into it but what do you guys think? Anyway, i ask something quite personal so i won't mind having no answers!

Hey BV old HK friend long time indeed! Glad you're still around. As for me well i have a 5 months old baby so life has hanged quite a bit for me! (and bf is in rehab in Shatin)

xo
Carine
Old 10-14-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Funkster, Im glad you and baby look well
Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
Originally Posted by funkzter View Post
(cos it must be tired to always have to control everything, for those like Whisker who has to fight against getting his game library right now hehe), besides going to meetings and stuff, do you seek therapy for this obsessive/compulsive behaviour? I think it could help make life easier, no?
LOL Carine ~ I'm a 44 yr old grandmother!! My grandson is turning 6 months this month. It is a life change being a new mom. And the two of you look wonderful! I've been a gamer since I was a young teenager. Had an old Atari console and was hooked immediately. Haven't played in several years when my interests shifted and dove into animal rescue.

As for therapy for the behavior - working ths NA program offers the tools not just for staying clean, but these principles of the program can be used in everyday life, too. For instance...I was having a little pity party on myself earlier in the day yesterday. I really wanted that gaming system out of layaway to make me feel better. I recognized that for what it was...a temporary fix acting on an immediate compulsion to feel better. Typical drug addict behavior. I resisted the urge...used the tools...prayed about having the feeling removed (even though me and my HP are not real connected yet) called my sponsor and got my sorry a$$ out of the funk.

It still took awhile, but I did get out of it and the 360 is still sitting in the pawn shop. I wouldn't have been able to play it if I got it out anyway. I need to wait for the cooling fan to get shipped so I would have gotten it out simply to have it. To make me feel better that it was at home. The best thing I can do is simply apply the program using the tools I'm gaining for life in general...