Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

What does crack and methamphetamine smell like?

Notices

What does crack and methamphetamine smell like?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Late Sun night a fight happened there. I heard a bunch of argueing outside, then it went inside and all I heard through the walls was a woman scream "you better not hit me, don't hit me, you better not hit me." So I called the police then my landlord. Then she got mad because I called the police and then she got mad because I called the landlord.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

All I can think is don't hesitate to call the police again if you need too. That's all you can do in situations like this, unless you move. But maybe if the police harrass her often enough, she'll move first.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
...and log every threat even if it's indirect...write it down somewhere with the date and time it was said/happened, etc. You would be surprised at how much that kind of written incident keeping can do.

At least it wasn't for calling the police for the possible meth production...whole different scenario...but getting caught in domestic crap...that's tricky all in itself. I feel for you hun. I really do.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

You are a victim in your own home.I have had this happen to me, and it went on til I moved out.I got brave and started calling the police everytime my neighbors started acting up, and it was not just one neighbor.I had drug traffic below me and on the side of me.I was sick and tired of feeling too afraid to leave my house, call the cops, etc.
The kids is still what bothers me the most.You don't deserve to live in that, and those kids definately don't!! Stay strong and stay alert.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hairgirl you have described exactly how I feel. I have told my landlord I'm afraid to leave the house. Now I'm afraid to stay here. I have thought of carrying pepper spray.

My landlord has filed a "bar" against the person that got in a fight with my neighbor, meaning he can't come on the property. My neighbor didn't press charges against him, nor an order of protection. So my landlord did. I guess when the police came they both had assault markings all over each other.

That guy was there for 2 weeks, and I couldn't believe the violence between 2 people in a new found love affair. I knew it was drugs. I looked at my neighbor the 2nd day he was there and told her I had "bad vibes" about him, that he was "scary." She became just as scary. Everytime I heard the yelling, smelled the smells, I worried about the children. When the other guy was there her little son 4yrs, was here a lot of the time because she was so "busy" with her guy over there. At that time I heard her son say to his friends playing on the porch that he hates his mom. Lord knows what that man and her did behind closed doors, and the little boy knows too. That broke my heart.

The landlord has given her specific warnings and rules against traffic coming in and out of there. So things are quieter, but still I know they are dangerous, and could explode at any time.

I'm staying alert.

Hairgirl, yes I am so tired of it. There are a few other suspected drug users in the neighborhood too, they are further away, a street away. Their children "wander" over here to play. One little girl is only 4 yrs old. I won't let them in to play because of the scare of meth in town. I'm afraid of chemicals on them (sad) but "I" supervise them outside. It's so sad. They don't want to be home. They would stay here for hours if I let them, but I have to limit the play time. Some times they come to play, and I have to tell them son can't play right now.

We live in a better part of town, a quiet neighborhood, but theres those others that have come in. I don't want to move, but will if I have too. Some don't realize the fear we and children live in when drugs are in our neighborhoods, and the crime and violence that goes with it.

NH7
Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
cm7

I was googling the smell of crack burning because I had considered that when I was a teen I had smoked pot laced with crack that had been crushed, because it crackled and was an intense high. Despite being accused of smoking crack many times due to my weight, I have never smoked it (or at least as I am aware)... but one thing you want to take into consideration when being around drug addicts who may be into meth or crack is not only do the drugs smell, but the people themselves often smell. I don't mean that to be funny. I don't mean they don't bathe... as many do but some of them are sick, smoke a lot of cigareetes, start tweeking and sweat profusely. I have been around people tweeking and most of what I could smell was body odor and chemicals. It's really hard to tell what is going on but I noticed in one apartment I lived in that the woman upstairs would often go into fits of pacing... I mean senseless pacing, not deep in thought pacing or walking around cleaning... I mean restless unpredictable pacing... jumping up from whatever furniture she was on and quickly stomping around in patterns... almost like an obstacle course, only to reseat herself to jump up again abruptly with 10 seconds... and repeat this pattern all night. She was pretty far gone, and after speaking with various people in the complex- it was well established she was a bad crack head although I had never seen her in the act. Her stompings through the night would leave me so aggravated, not to mention the fact that i was terrified she would lose her mind and shoot through the floor...also, I was concerned she was cooking meth. One thing you have to understand about meth labs is they do not take up as much space as many would think, especially if it is only to support ones own habit since pseudo-ephindrine is harder to get these days... especially for a poor person with no car and few social relations. She and her husband were a pretty sad case. Meth labs can be small but still highly dangerous. I once read a story about two guys running a meth lab on the west coast and nothing exploded, there was no fire, but one of them dropped a cask of chemicals and within seconds the fumes overpowered them both. They could not run out of the building fast enough after it was dropped. One died inside and the other was found just outside dead with a mouth full of dirt to try to stop the burning in his throat and lungs. Yeah... I'd say it's pretty nasty stuff. Children who have to suffer being near even small meths labs MINUS accidents still become toxified. Many develope seizures and some so bad they are fatal. Anyone who would do this near children should have their children taken away. In my concern for my own safety, I did call the police. Unfortunately, despite being far from stupid, I must have a very annoying voice that sounds like I am a 13 year old girl who doesn't know her head from a hole in the ground. I was told that without some proof there was not a lot that could be done. This is not the first time the police let me down, but the reality is that there may not have been anything they could have done- especially if the endeavor was not large scale enough for them to find room in their budget for an investigation. Funny though how teens I used to know would get busted for one marijuana seed. I just don't understand how the system works sometimes. I guess if you talk to the wrong cop at the wrong time, some of them are just bound to not care. I am pretty certain that the people above me now are smoking crack... at least the young kid. He exhibits some pretty strange behavior, but without proof.....??? If I were the person who created this thread I would make anonomys calls. Do not talk to these people at all. Act as if they do not exist. You don't want them blaming you if they get busted. If you don't make anonomys calls, the police could very likely show up at YOUR door, wanting the full story... then it's quite obvious who made the call, right? That's what the lovely police around here did last time I had to call them. Serve and protect? Thanks a lot. Anyway (my attitude towards police is not always so bad but authority has let me down more times than I can count) It's pretty obvious how an entire neighborhood can go bad. Call the police on them for what can be proven. If there is violence, call them out on it. If there are outdoor disturbances, call them out on it. Anything they do contrary to rules, call them out. You can't call them out on something that you cannot see or hear. You cannot base it on odors unless the odors are strong enough to warrant them bringing out a dog, but they don't do that so often because if you take a drug dog into almost any neighborhood, the dog will be picking up on all sorts of things... like people two doors down smoking a joint. Any time a dog is brought into the situation, it opens everything up for a lot of drama and may not get them what they want- a search warrant. I don't know if a warrant will issued on a dogs attraction to a door. I think they are usually used to find drugs in accessible places or places that already have been opened up by the police after obtaining a warrant. I'm not sure on those policies but the police do have to be careful with dogs... or at least they are supposed to be.
The reason I say call them out on anything you can even if it's not the drugs is because if the police keep coming out to question them, maybe it will make them paranoid, maybe it will allow the police to see the situation for themselves. Do so anonymously and not just by the polices word... tell them you do not want to give your name and address. Be nice to the people if they speak to you, otherwise act like you are minding your own. If they knock on your door, blow them off somehow. Just pretend like you are not concerned with them at all and avoid as much interaction as possible. Long term drug addicts are notoriously psychotic. They may not even look it, but give them half a chance to go into an episode and you'll see just how quickly they can snap. Most police do want to lock up hard core addicts but the ones that get called out are not investigators, they do not get paid as investigators and are not very keen on investigating. They'd rather just take down the facts and go back and report it. I guess to them it's kinda like cold calling. No salesman likes cold calling without a solid lead.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Wishing all the best for you, your children, and all the other children affected...
Old 06-10-2009, 12:48 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Call either your local city police or the local county deputies. It might even be better to call the county. Depends on where you live. A lot of times they have more power. They can get a warrant and get in there within 3 minutes of knocking on the door and smelling it. Sometimes the police have to go through a process.

You don't want someone cooking this next door. No matter how far away the house is. If they have kids in there you owe it to them.

And then it may be nothing. May end up that they are doing something else.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Recovered

C-a-l-l

t-h-e

p-o-l-i-c-e

!!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Optimist

This was a post from 2008...
Old 06-10-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Recovered

LOL, so it is. Sure revived this thread, eh?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

the 911 system is truly anonymous now if you want to have anonymity. You can call from a payphone if you don't trust that, but believe me, the only way the police can access your info is if you're:

a. the subject of a wire tap, and really, how likely is that? Unless you are in organized crime, or a member of a distribution ring, highly unlikely. Wire taps are very hard to get signed by judges. They are rare.

b. you make a terroristic threat that may compromise national security. There is a law that search and seizure warrants aren't needed to investigate your private phone calls if you make terroristic threats.

Police aren't trying to upset the people who report stuff like this by tipping off the suspects.
And most police are just trying to do their job and make things a little better out there.
I get so tired of the negative opinions on police on here and out in the program that I hear. I know that in active addiction, some of us were arrested and that made us unhappy about law enforcement, but hopefully, that negative association can end now and we can work through that resentment.

Many of us have loved ones that give up so much in service of law enforcement, and believe it or not, some of us in recovery are also in law enforcement. Peace.

NOT LISTEN I INSTALL 911 SYSTEMS AND THEY ALWAYS KNOW WHERE THE CALL IS COMING FROM. Now if you want to do it anomonous goto a payphone make sure there is no camera pointing at you and make your call but not from your house.It is dangerous to live next store to a factory do something today for you or your kids or those kids GOOD LUCK
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

If drugs were legal, pure, and cheap like they should be, there'd be no exploding meth trailers, no criminal element, no profit motive, no guns, etc.

Sure, kids would still get hurt cause their mommy and/or daddy is an addict, but we sure as heck aren't avoiding THAT problem now either, are we?

I'm kinda funny in the sense that I hate drugs ... but I also hate the war on drugs just as much. Not to start up this debate just because of this old thread, but I swear, 90% of the problems from drugs come exactly from the fact that they're illegal ...
Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

do you live in dallas, cause am having the same concerns. my throat starting burning one night, and I had to burp a lot. i got sick and dizzy and it kind of gets in your nose and the burning smell, for lack of better word, stayed in my nose. the fire and police came out and found nothing, but they also could not smell the smoke coming out of the apt. it is kind of a choking smell and i was told it is corrosive as well. i thought it might be radon or other things, or maybe even a belt on the air conditioner so turned it off and not sure if that is the case or not, still, and cant be radon cause it doesnt smell so the only thing left is meth lab. are meth labs small, how do they work, how do they cook the stuff, and why do they caook it? i need to know much as possible asap so any info is good. . but the smell wont go away and it has a gasy odor, for lack of better word. all i know is they better get the hell out of my building or i am gonna sue the shiit out of them, for sure. i alreayd know who owns it. the people living there lied and said they lived with the owners, but that isnt true, and they are gonna get the suit as soon as i find out and can get a small claims going, i may make it a bigger suit since they claim they got plenty of money, yea right and that is why they make and sell meth.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tabitha

I'd get your building maintenance folks out to check things over - just to be sure it's not something in your apartment.

For some of us, smelling smoke/chemicals can also be characteristic of many other things like anxiety, some sinus infections, migraines etc, even gastric reflux and some ulcers.

If you think this could be the case it's best to see your Dr.

If in the end you suspect it is your neighbours then I guess regular police reports are one recourse?

D
Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

From a chem major in college...

It's not radon, radon is odorless and undetectable by humans.

If it were a meth lab, the main ingredient in smelling that is acetone, which is an organic compound that smells sort of like paint thinner...

I can't identify the exact smells that you sense, but if it is a meth lab, it is definitely a concern for your health. I would suggest calling someone ASAP!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Time by time there is irritating air coming from my left side neighbor, it stings my skin and nose. What kind of chemial is that? I reported to the house management and they replied that they were not going to involve that.
Since 2011, time by time I could smell strange air flowing into the house. I had hard time to figure out how the air gets into my house. It comes even the air conditioning system and fan were turned off and no strange air outside the house. I would be woken up by sneezing, coughing, or dry throat at the middle of night caused by that strange air.

Didn't see the woman’s parents for a while.

August 1st, smelled funny air and woke up and moved to different room. Just settled for little while, then heard a little girl's crying ( left side neighbor's daughter). A breath of air with the same smell and sensation blew to my nose. Didn't see their kids after this day.

On August 10th ,11th , I was also woken up by strange air, except it has no smell, but irritates my nose and skin.

On August 12th morning, smelled the similar kind of air with irritation. My head feels fine, but I can still fill the numb sensation when my arms move.

On August 13th morning around 6:15am, smelled the similar kind of air with irritation. It lasted 20 minutes also.

On August 14th , no strange air. The woman's SUV wasn't there since August 13th night until then.

On August 15th, no strange air

On August 16th , strange air blew in around 7:00am

On August 19th , strange air blew in at 11:00pm middle of night last until 3:03am of August 20th . Smell it while sitting at the living room. Left the door open.

Started Around October 4th , for about over one week the air appeared normal and I had peaceful sleep.

October 13th, the same air came in again around 10:30pm to the living room.

October 24th, the same air came in around 4:00am to the bedroom . My face was irritated. Same air came in around 20:00pm

November 3rd, the same air came in around 6:00am to the bedroom. I climbed to the attic and smell the same kind of air.

The air density seems increased.
November 6th, the same air came in around 9:00am to the bedroom.
November 7th, the same air came in around 6:00am to the bedroom and 10:00pm to the living room.
November 9th, the same air came in around 2:30am to the bedroom, at 3:05am sound of closing a door was heard. Around 9:30pm, the same air came in the living room.
November 10th, the same air came in around 2:30am to the bedroom, around 6:20 different kind of stinking air flew in.
November 13th, the same air came in around 9:00am to the bedroom.

The bedroom is located at the 2nd floor while the living room is at the 1st room.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Heathen

Like was said dozens of times in this thread (which is very old btw), call the police then. Or if your landlord wont look into it, let THEM know you're calling the police. Regardless of what it is, if it's creating a health hazard for you.. take some action. Kind of confused by this post. Maybe she's a painter, and you're smelling fumes? Maybe you have allergies unrelated to 'strange air'. Maybe whatever.. but if it's hazardous, get someone to look at it.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Really?

Ok...original poster...you do not report a meth lab to your landlord. You call the police or, in some cities, you can send an anonymous e-mail to the narcotics division of your local PD. Your landlord probably (also instead of calling the police) confronted your neighbor and brought your name into it. I seriously doubt your neighbor is psychic so you or your landlord either told her or talked about it where she could potentially hear. What is your landlord gonna do anyway? Spend 90 days evicting her during which time you both get to deal with her? Are you not hearing everyone telling you that most meth addicts are extremely dangerous while using? Is your landlord Rambo? What is going to happen now even if you or your landlord decide to finally call the police (who, believe it or not, actually know what they are doing and take hard drug manufacturing very seriously) is that unless your neighbor is a whole 'nother kind of stupid she will get rid of any evidence and keep it out of her house until she thinks it is safe again. Retaliation is a definite possibility and if your neighbor did put nails in the landlords tires your landlord is lucky that is all that happened. What was the point of asking advice if you were just going to ignore it and poke the bear instead?
Old 10-21-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome - but you should know the original post in this thread is over 6 years old surrealanya

D