Notices

Methods of Pain Relief w/o narcotics

Old 09-14-2007, 04:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methods of Pain Relief w/o narcotics

Timebuster brought up a subject I found really interesting and could be helpful to people who are in a pain situation but obviously can't take narcotics. Maybe from time to time, if anyone has something that their doctor has prescribed that has worked that is non-addictive they can share and others can talk to their doctors about it.

I'll start - The other day I was having a terrible pain in the side of my neck/throat. My doctor diagnosed it as an infection of the salivary gland and obviously prescribed antibiotics, but it was causing me a lot of pain, so she gave me 800 mg. ibuprofen and because the infection was causing extreme muscle tightness she gave me a muscle relaxant called selaxin. She knows my history so it's not addictive, but even so I double checked with the pharmacist. It worked great and not "high" just pain relief in combo w/ ibuprofen.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great thread ccgirl! Those of us who are recovering "pain pill" addicts always have that worry in the back of our minds that one day we will be faced with a tough decission of how to deal with our pain.
Obviously, if it is something REALLY, really painful one might have to take something addictive and IMO, in that case it is best to stay in constant contact with the prescribing DR, be honest with ourselves and loved ones, possibly have someone "hold" the medication and use only as long as needed then flush the rest.

I've only had that happen once in the 3-years I've been clean and did pretty well using the tools above.

With my TMJ pain, I have to take something for relief just about every morning since about the last 2-3 hours of my sleep cycle I grind and click my jaw terribly.
I have found that by switching around OTC meds such as Ibuprofen {200-800mg}, Alieve, Tylenol, Excedrene Tension and Bayer Back and Body instead of taking the same thing over and over, gives me the relief I need.

Jane
Old 09-14-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

Great topic, thanx
Old 09-14-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I had to get knocked out with benzos and opiates since kicking dope almost 5 years ago. I just told the docs up front that I wanted NO doggie bags to take home. I did okay. No jones or nothing.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeper of the Stars

Smile

Toradol is a great non-narcotic pain reliever to ask for..............it has anti-inflammatory properties as well. It is only recommended for short-term use, however. I would like to see more dentist and oral surgeons use this for pain purposes. I know tons of people who 'got off and running' with active addiction from a little ole visit to the dentist.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Toradol was like HEAVEN For me.. I used to get it in shot form at the doctors from migraines, that drug made me so high that I actually thought of faking a migraine to get another maybe there is a difference in pill form than shot?

I had extreme oral surgery about 3 weeks ago and dentist gave me Ultram which is a non narcotic, I had to take it with regular tylenol (for the anti-inflamatory)
It worked like a charm!
I was never addicted or abused pain meds because they made me ill so I request Ultram for that reason, it seems to be the only pain med I can take without getting sick.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeper of the Stars

Red face

sorry for another post................just wanted to mention to ccgirl that muscle relaxants are a 'slippery slope' to someone with prescription drug addiction.
To me (and others I know in the program), muscle relaxants are a GATEWAY drug.
Kinda like alcohol is to weed. I'm not sure how else to explain it...............please be careful. Remember, we are dealing with a cunning and baffling disease.

Thanks for the great post.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeper of the Stars

Red face

OMG.........I've never heard anyone getting high from Toradol! That's a first. I guess each person has their own reaction to the drug.

Doingwell, sorry about your surgery. Hope you are recovering well.

I'll let the others chime in about Ultram. I don't have that much experience with it, but I would turn and run if someone prescribed that for me.

I know several people in these forums that think Ultram is the devil incarnate.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow I guess it really is different for everyone. With Ultram I didn't feel any type of high, it was odd how it was prescribed (2 pills one day, 3 the next 3 days and then back down to 2 for 2 days) maybe that is some sort of clue there?
I don't know I just know I did not feel medicated even slightly, just pain relief, it worked better for me than RX Strength Motrin. I also took Ultram after my C-Sections, again because narcotic pain killers made me sick and wretching after a C-section is CERTAINLY not fun. lol
Old 09-14-2007, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

Ultram (Tramadol) is an opiate. It is approximately 10% as potent as morphine. It is highly addictive. I would take Tramadol when there was no Heroin around. It did the job. No recovering addict should get anywhere near it I believe.
It is deadly!
Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Originally Posted by DoingWell View Post
Wow I guess it really is different for everyone.
I have heard that some people are affected by Ultram, others are not. Just be aware that even the manufacturer now states it has addictive properties and should be avoided for patients with a history of alcohol or drug abuse. The manufacturer also cautions that withdrawal can occur if stopped suddenly, or after long term use.
Just be aware and be safe.

Best,
Bear
Old 09-14-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mackie, thanks for your concern about the muscle relaxers, but my doctor picked the particular, she said because it doesn't affect the part of your brain that would trigger. Actually, she precribed them Monday three times a day and gave me 10 days worth, and I've only taken one each morning because that is when my neck kills! Otherwise, no thoughts of using from it.

As far as OTC pain relief, Excedrin is my favorite. I believe it works the best.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

IMO Skalaxin is not in the same class as soma or flexeril. As someone who has abused both of those drugs, I never felt the desire to abuse skelaxin at all, in fact I have half a scrip sitting around and take one when I feel like I need it, as opposed to when I feel like it. I consider it a safe drug for those in recovery.

You know, now that I am clean for a while, I have found that aspirin is a pretty darn effective pain reliever.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Muscle relaxers...........ahhhhhhhh, I remember those Soma Comas.........feeling all itchy and warm, tongue as thick as Britney's thighs, laying on the floor, coming to in about an hour, what happened, wha??????

Good Times.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Windysan;

You sir, have a gift for words.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OMG! Windy! Britney's thighs? Coffee definitely snorted out of my nose on that one. Wish I'd thought of it!

Brewster, thanks for putting into words about the muscle relaxants. I knew what I was trying to say, but it wouldn't come out. As a matter of fact, I took flexeril once; scared the heart out of me. I took it for a medical reason, but I almost ended up in one of Windy's soma comas. Yuck!

As far asthe aspirin goes, you're right. Sometimes I take them for a body pain. We used ascriptin in our house (it's what our vet has us give the dogs) because it's coated and easier on the stomach.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well the use of Ultram/TRamadol has been coming up a lot lately in various post! I would highly urge any addicts to NOT use it. It is very addictive even though your doctor may say it is not. I know this first hand as I got addicted very quickly to it and without even knowing it was addictive! It just kills me when people think that it is not addictive because the doctor is simply uninformed about it's actual abuse potential. I wish you all the best and please try to stay away from the Ultram also know as Ultracet or generic as Tramadol. The difference between Ultram and Utracet is that Ultracet has a tylenol combination in it. Just be careful because it can and will cause a euphoric feeling for many people and cause a few to relapse if not taken properly. I just wanted to get that out there as much as possible because so many people think it will not harm them in there recovery yet it WILL. I agree with ala it is a sufficient replacement when you are out of your DOC so that you dont get dopesick. Good Luck to all
Old 09-15-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow that is so odd, I took it after my c-sections, oral surgery and every now and again when I need something stronger than tylenol or Motrin. I don't experience ANY.. and I mean ANY type of high..
I am a recovering alcoholic and benzo addict (over 7 mos)
my doctor knows this. Perhaps it's the dosage?

If I need it again, I'll be sure to talk to my doctor but since I have taken it on more than one occasion and not experienced any type of high or even medicated feeling I would probably take it again if needed.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

well, like I said everyone is different in their reactions to certain meds. With me however, I knew it was considered a pain med, took more the prescribed amount and yes did get a high and addicted. I think if you take small doses ONLY as needed and not everyday then maybe you will be ok, That is just my opinion though! Just wanted to put out my experience so that no one else has to go through what i did/have. It can also cause seizures while taking it and when coming off it So, that is another BIG danger to watch out for. To me it is just not worth it.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I use meditation.

Peace & Love,
Sugah