Notices

Day 38 Free from Opiates

Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 38 Free from Opiates

Hello,

I became dependent on opiates resulting from a broken ankle that got infected with MRSA after my first operation to insert stabilizing hardware. That was almost five years ago. Last July I was back in the hospital facing a possible leg amputation because the constant infections became a real threat to my life. That said, I went through two additional surgical procedures (for a total of nine) as a last ditch attempt to save the leg. The first was a irrigation and debridement of the infected area which, in a nut shell is where the surgeons cut away all the infected tissue to prepare it for a procedure called a "portable skin flap". The "flap" itself is harvested from the thigh area of the infected leg and placed over the giant whole left by the I&D surgery. It may not sound like a big deal but this is a major surgery that requires several months/years to completely heal. My thigh still has a 4"x 2" open wound which is very painful.
Anyway, I was put on high doses of Dilaudid (8mg every four hours) for 3 months then started to taper until I was down to 1mg every 24 hours. The doctors then put me on a short Suboxone regimen for three weeks ending on 12-16-17. I never took more that 2mg of Suboxone a day, but I can truthfully say that all the Suboxone did was put off the inevitable, which were painful withdrawals. I'm now on day 38 and still not 100% but I'm getting better although I still have days where I feel like s**t. Yesterday for example (despite my Patriots winning yet another AFC championship) felt like day three instead of day 37. Today I'm feeling better but again not 100% by any means.
I've read about a lot of people going through the same withdrawal symptoms I'm experiencing so, that's encouraging but still painful.
My advice to anyone trying to kick these evil drugs, and get their lives back is to just bite the bullet and never take the Suboxone. To me, it's just not worth it, in my opinion.
This affliction also seems to play "peek a boo" with your mind/body as after two weeks I felt good and thought I'd turned the corner only to have the symptoms return in a big way.
So, if you get a few days under your belt and feel like using, to feel better and get some sleep, don't, or you'll find yourself back at day one. I know the long nights with absolutely no sleep and RLS can be almost enough to drive you insane (I didn't sleep for 5 days) but don't give up as it will only get worse if you use. I can at least get some sleep now although it isn't that restful but it's better than lying in bed staring at a TV willing to give almost anything (except use) to get some sleep. I do go to AA/NA meetings and they definitely help but remember that it took me years to do this damage to my body and mind so it only make sense to me that I;m not going to be completely recovered after a little over five weeks!
Hang in there and you can do it!!
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, johndavisboston.

Wow, you've had a rough time. I'm happy to hear they were able to save your leg. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sure your story will help others.

Congratulations on 38 days!

Sending my best wishes.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Opivotal. I'm fighting the good fight and just pray I never have to take these drugs ever again!
Good luck to all that find themselves in these almost unbearable situations. I know it's been said a million times but this is truly a day/minute/second at a time recovery process.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johndavisboston View Post
Thank you Opivotal. I'm fighting the good fight and just pray I never have to take these drugs ever again!
Good luck to all that find themselves in these almost unbearable situations. I know it's been said a million times but this is truly a day/minute/second at a time recovery process.
A day at a time! I hope you have loved ones helping you out with support and you stay on this track of sobriety! Wishing you the best of luck I’m rooting for you!