Notices

Can methadone clinic deny dosing?

Old 05-25-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can methadone clinic deny dosing?

My AS was denied dosing today because he 'looked out of it' and had cake on his mouth from eating that he didn't wipe off. He hadn't slept much the night before and we had to get up early and get to clinic for holiday hours.

I came in and asked about problem and if they would test him to have medical cause, but they would not. My son got mad and started cussing them out. Then they refused to dose him because of disrespectful behavior

Clinic is 17 miles away from my home. He goes to that clinic because it is convenient during the week for me and for his job. On my days off I still drive him there early in am so he won't miss a dose.

I explained how far we traveled and that he needed his dose so he wouldn't use in my house or he had no place to go.
They still refused.

While my AS may have brought this on himself, can the clinic legally do this?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi vaya. I'm sorry that happened.

I think most clinics have a set of rules to abide by etc. - they certainly do in Australia.
I have little experience of clinics myself, but I know of a few people who have been refused a dose, here.

It seems odd to me that they didn't allow a medical test, but I assume thats covered in the rules too..
Has he been in trouble there before?

I'm not sure of legal recourse - maybe someone closer to where you are can help.

D
Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm not sure what they did is entirely legal, but I have heard of clinics in Florida who will write patients up for behavior issues and deny treatment. He never had a problem with them before. When we returned the next day, they refused to dose him again based on his behavior form the day before and said his case was terminated !!! I couldn't believe it. I told them they should have said so, so we could have at least explored other options and not come all the way out there again. My AS was livid and threatening. What a scene!!! Wound up getting referred to another clinic, but it took so long he missed his dose for second day. Now all is back on track, but even though he needs to take responsibility for his part and behavior, it doesn't seem medically sound that clinics can do that. If it was a cancer patient or a diabetic, they certainly wouldn't do that and would chalk up the behavior and appearance to a medical state. They shouldn't be allowed to do that with other medical treatment, like methadone, but since it's something given to addicts, usually by other recovered addicts, that's what happens. Just wondered if anyone here on this forum had any experience like that and what they did.....aside from the issues with my AS, which I share on my usual forum, Friends and Families...Seems like this forum mostly deals with subs issues....and for whatever reason, the people on this forum rarely respond to my inquiries....guess they have their own things to discuss.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry, this forum is very small, vaya.

D
Old 05-29-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Vaya. Sorry to hear about the troubles with the clinic. I have seen all sorts of craziness go on at clinics in the few years I was going. Unfortunately I think that yes clinics can and do deny dosing people for various reasons (many of them valid). It obviously varies by clinic, but all that I have been to usually have signs posted that they can refuse your dose and when you sign the contract in the beginning they state that pretty clearly too.

There are some good clinics out there, but quite a few do seem like it is all about the money. That was the main reason I saw people get denied a dose back when I used to go. If you weren't paid up they would just deny you (even for people that paid on time for a year or more). I saw people get the police called on them several times for arguing with the doctor or counselor. I saw drug deals going on in the parking lot. People coming in to dose that looked messed up and / or nodding out in the waiting room. It was pretty depressing at times. I just tried my best to follow the rules and keep to myself. Definitely do not miss those days.

Hopefully the new clinic works out better for him. Best of luck and take care!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Marcus, you definitely summed up the methadone clinic experience there! I do NOT miss those days either.

Methadone is such a strong and long acting drug they have to be cautious dispensing it. If a patient does appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol the clinic in good conciense will not dispense another powerful drug to them. Overdose is too frequent with a drug like methadone mixing with certain other drugs.
I agree the line does get blurred a bit with behaviour, it seems to me that both drug addicts and mental patients are more often punished rather than treated compared to other health conditions such as Cancer and Diabetes.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's happened to my brother many times. If he missed 2 doses in a row he was terminated but could reapply the next week. If it's known how bad the withdrawals are I cannot wrap my head around why they would deny a dose!!!! Sounds like torture to me. Also the hospital wouldn't give it to him while he was going through alcohol detox as well. A giant WTF. And it looks like that's going to be the case again starting tomorrow. :^/