Notices

Drinking on subs

Old 02-22-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking on subs

Does anyone here drink on subs strips the dr says it can be deadly but my husband has been doing it for years should i be concerned
Old 02-22-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to eventually give up the booze. It was a BIG part of the problem. From your earlier posts you said your husband has been on Suboxone over 5 years and runs out early and spends extra money to get more plus is drinking on top of it (which we all know is not free either).

I am not sure what opiate your husband was on before the Sub, but sounds to me like his addiction is still going strong. So I guess to your question should you be concerned. Concerned he is going to die? Concerned he is still abusing drugs and drinking? Concerned he is spending money that could be used towards your family and son on his addiction?

I would definitely be concerned if I was in your shoes. It sounds like you are trying to make changes to better your life, but your husband isn't on board to do the same. Nothing changes if nothing changes and unfortunately if you just sit back and watch you could be posting the same thing or worse a few years down the road.

So if he refuses to change and you have had enough your concern shouldn't be on what is he doing to himself, but what are you going to do for yourself and your son. Denial can be strong, but I would bet your husband recognizes he is still on a downward spiral and prescribed or not abusing medication and drinking on top of it is still active addiction. The thinking / mindset is still the same. Plus it sounds like you are supporting that addiction financially.

Take care of yourself and your son!!!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

His drinking used to be much worse now its more like only on Saturday I just was wondering about the danger of combining the two together when I tried to alert his immediate family of the problem they really did not help he works now full time and pays all the bills but we have very little left over after that before he started to tak sub strips 8 mg he was on lortabs but after awhile he went to buying subtex from a friend then had a dr prescribe the subtex but I kept catching him snorting them that is why now he is on the strips
Old 03-01-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been drinking all my life.
So, now that I am on Bup, I still drink. I never signed up for quitting the alcohol. Strange thing about drugs that process through the liver, they have either 1 of 2 effects on people who drink. Either they get sicker when they drink, and have worse hangovers (and get drunker). Or they pretty much don't catch a buzz off the alcohol at all.
That's me.
So for the second type, if a person were wanting to catch a buzz or get drunk they would probably drink a lot more on sub.
Myself, I can put away 12-24 beers and not get drunk, not have a hangover. So I just drink however many I feel like. Ususally 5 or 6.
It's probably very unhealthy. But if I had to quit something it wouldn't be the alcohol.
best thing ever invented.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My husband drinks anywhere from 60 to 80 beers a week and he's on 12 MG of subs a day. Im not in denial I know his addiction is still going strong just not sure how I'm suppose to fix it. Clearly he's not ready for help even though he wants to act like he's clean since he's on subs
Old 08-20-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm trying to get off the sub and I find that if I drink I stupidly take more sub or....
I wake up in withdrawal in the middle of the night. It's like the booze flushes it out or something! I've tried this to help with the sadness I get when cutting back on the sub but it just makes it worse. For me anyway.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Sheldon

D