Notices

Really Need Advice

Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really Need Advice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully someone can give me an idea what to expect. I was using Hydrocodones pretty heavy for my back and then took it way to far. I got pissed at myself for letting it happen but the problem is, it took me to long to get pissed at myself. I stopped taking the pills and was started on a methadone treatment. They started me at 30 in the liquid. I dropped it rapidly down to 10. The cost was adding up so I started getting 15 pills they are 10's and I break them in half and take 1 in the morning each day and it gets me through the day. I don't want to take this damn pill anymore......but I am scared that the withdrawal will be to much to handle. Does anyone have an idea how long it will last?? I'm hopeing at a low dose like this that it won't be to bad. But these drugs are freaking nasty. I don't have the urge to have a hydro at all. I don't drink, smoke pot, or cigarettes. I just eat a lot of ibuprohen when my back gets bad. I hate these drugs and want to be done. If someone could please give me some advice. I run a pretty good size business and can't be out for to long. So just to be clear...I now take a half which comes out to be a 5 of methadone. It is a pill and I take it in the morning each day. Thank you and I wish everyone here the best!!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR
I know you'll find a lot of support here - and a lot of experience too

D
Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Lots of hope and love here.

~Pandie
Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Sambo))) - Welcome to SR!! I have no personal experience on withdrawal of methadone, but I know other people do and hope they chime in soon.

Most people are terrified of withdrawals from most substances. The good news is, once you get through it? You never have to do it again.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sambo1 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully someone can give me an idea what to expect. I was using Hydrocodones pretty heavy for my back and then took it way to far. I got pissed at myself for letting it happen but the problem is, it took me to long to get pissed at myself. I stopped taking the pills and was started on a methadone treatment. They started me at 30 in the liquid. I dropped it rapidly down to 10. The cost was adding up so I started getting 15 pills they are 10's and I break them in half and take 1 in the morning each day and it gets me through the day. I don't want to take this damn pill anymore......but I am scared that the withdrawal will be to much to handle. Does anyone have an idea how long it will last?? I'm hopeing at a low dose like this that it won't be to bad. But these drugs are freaking nasty. I don't have the urge to have a hydro at all. I don't drink, smoke pot, or cigarettes. I just eat a lot of ibuprohen when my back gets bad. I hate these drugs and want to be done. If someone could please give me some advice. I run a pretty good size business and can't be out for to long. So just to be clear...I now take a half which comes out to be a 5 of methadone. It is a pill and I take it in the morning each day. Thank you and I wish everyone here the best!!!!

I used to work as a counselor in a Methadone Clinic, and I have an AS, who is currently on Methadone. I cannot give you any medical advice, but I can tell you that 5 mg is the lowest dose of Methadone I have ever heard of. Are you getting your Methadone from a doctor or from a M-clinic? Ask your provider if it's safe for you to cut your 5mg in half, to 2.5 mg per day, for about 5 days, then cut that in half for about 5 days.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

I was taking 5mg of Methadone a day for about 2.5 weeks, but I was on 3-4mg of Suboxone prior and when the 18 days of Methadone were done I resumed Suboxone for 8 days at 1mg and stopped everything. That was 8 days ago. I did this because I wanted my system to get a break from the Subs, but Methadone has an insanely long half-life....so what I've heard is that the w/d is longer and more drawn out. I've never stopped with Methadone without resuming something else, that's what I've read everywhere though. Maybe a two week taper of Suboxone is something you can discuss with your doctor.

"The intermittent follow up of the pain
patient, coupled with the relatively
unforgiving nature of the drug (compared
with other Long acting opioids), should
generate caution in the patient and
prescriber alike in an outpatient pain
environment." - wiki

"require treatment
for an indefinite period of time, since
methadone maintenance is a corrective but
not a curative treatment for opiate
addiction." - wiki

Just two tiny excerpts, but enough to explain that it's difficult to come off alone. Where as Suboxone is typically a mild w/d when used only for a short period of time. Hope you get the help you need. Good luck and take care.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Bro, Was never on Methadone, but I can speak to a Sub taper if that's the route you're gonna go. It's not painless, but it doesn't have to be excruciating if you're patient and do it right. I tapered off of about 8 months of subs once, and here's how it went for me: I kept reducing about .5 mgs per week until I was down to essentially nothing. By this I mean that I was cutting them up into such small chips that 1) they were not really measurable - likely about a tenth or less of one milligram and 2) it's pretty hard to distinguish between real and placebo effect. Then when it got that low I started skipping days: skip one, take. A week later: skip two, take. Then, when ready, skip three, cus on the third day, the withdrawals hit. That's gonna take a week or two, but here's the deal: IT'S NOT A WEEK OR TWO OF EXCRUCIATING HORRIBLE PAIN. It's a week or two of discomfort that continues to get a little better. The second week, you'll still feel week and unmotivated for sure, but push yourself. Also good to have: a couple days off work, access to a gym with a sauna or steam room, and lots of Gatorade. Unlike I did, I hope you make it the last time. Sober now, but ****, I went through it!!!

Good Luck!!