Moontime's Story

Old 11-17-2003, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moontime's Story

Hi, Im Moontime and I'm an addict.

I started off smoking weed in High school and drinking then too. Never really abused it and did so socially. I went to college and began experimenting with LSD, Mushrooms, Cocaine, DMT and Exstacy. During my college stay, I used to sell drugs and became a large LSD/Mushroom distrubitor. I used to sell weed and X, when I could. It was during this time I used this money to tour with the Grateful Dead, I was a damn good salesman. After graduating from college I moved out to Oregon w/ my then girlfriend (we had been together for four years then). I was still dealing there as I had set up my friends on the east coast w' my former job. It was in Oregon I got my first taste of free-based cocaine, wow!!! Bellringers, I never felt anything like this. We did this about once every two months.
We moved back east to Virginia, because my girlfriend wanted to be closer to her family. I still hadn't had a 'real job', and thought it was time to settle down. So, in 1999 we moved to Charlottesville, Va, w/ a nest egg of about $70 k. At this time I got a 'real job' and stopped selling everything. We moved to the area, I was really against cocaine, but my girlfriend would stay up late at nights w/ other friends who were using. Finally, I said screw it, Im gonna hang out and use too. This did bring us closer together again. But after continuous use until about 2002, I was taught how to 'cook cocaine'. For about a year, I freebased everyday, as much as 3 balls aday, to as little as a half-ball aday. I was friends w/ a wealthy person who freebased too, so I didnt' use all my money at first.
By the time, I surrendered I had spent all of the $70,000, all the money I had saved from my job. Lost my girlfriend of 9+ years (she is still in active addiction), lost my car, friends and family's trust.

At this point I surrendered and went into an outpatient rehab treatment center. I made it about 7 months clean, then started to date an alcoholic who was about 3 months clean. It wasn't long before we stopped going to meetings and were out using. I surrendered again on August 10, 2003. My recovery comes first more than anything else today. I went to about 140 meetings in 90 days. I have a sponsor, I'm on my 4th step. I call other addicts, I have a homegroup. I have a consious contact with my higher power. I"m an active participant rather than a passive recepient today. NA is my life, I live the program today.