Step One

Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step One

Thank you for these questions. I have spent a lot of time answering them over the past three weeks. I am also attending Al Anon weekly and counseling. This week I will be taking DS to his first counseling session. I feel now that I have some good books on hand. I have read Codependent No More 3 times now. i now have my own copy of the daily reader The Language of Letting Go which is a gem. I've read some good articles on addiction and codependency. I have 2 more books on codependency on hand to work on too. i read this board in several sub forum sections and am grateful for the anxiety sections as well as the family support areas. I feel that i have good resources to move forward with an awareness that being powerless over alcohol does not make me helpless. I also feel journaling and reflecting helps refocus my attention on me and my recovery which is a crucial behavior change for me. Before I was way too focused on my AH.

At this time I do not have a sponsor, but I hope to make some different meetings once school ends and perhaps this person is in the wings for when I need a boost. People, books and knowledge are delivered when the time is right in my life, so I am going to have faith that moving into Step 2 is the right path.

For anyone reading this unsure about attending Al Anon, I have found the people very kind. I have taken reassurance that I am not alone even on weeks where the topic was perhaps beyond my current capability. Responding to everything with Al Anon-isms and conference approved literature is weird, but I grasp the need to control a universal message of welcome and simple intervention strategies to help a codependent refocus their attention and energy on what they can change.

I wish everyone peace and the time for self reflection.