Notices

wine-aholic or alcoholic ???????????

Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I really relate to people in this thread.

I used to drink a glass of wine or two at night with my husband, then we started buying magnums, now we each get our own bottle.

I've been drinking a bottle of wine a night for about 5 years now.

I've had plenty of nights when I didn't, and I didn't drink during my pregnancy. But other than that, when I can, I drink.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

It took me a while to recognize that wine and beer is alcohol...just as lethal as the hard stuff...especially when I drink 4-5 glasses or more a day...and being without power to stop at one or two...not being able to manage moderation...having it impact my evening time with friends and family.... yes that's all step one in a nutshell. Hello, my sister alcoholics. Time to get the Big Book and really listen this time to what it says.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Wine is my vice

Wine has been my alcohol of choice. I was having a glass every evening the past several years. I didn't start out that way, however. I began with a couple of glasses on weekends, then Wednesday and weekends, then Wednesday, Thursday and weekends. Then added Sunday to weekends, then Monday, Tuesday, too. Admitted I needed a little extra on those weekends. I couldn't wait until 5:00 on weekends. Then obsessed about getting it. Plus, the glass didn't give me the same "ah" feeling that had worked before. I tried to cut down, but that caused too much anxiety. I'm on day 12 and it has been hard not having any wine. Yes, it's a drug just like other stuff, even if the red is supposed to be "good" for you.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Have U tried not drinking wine for a few days....can you if not then you need to ask your self are you an alcoholic..... looks like your asking for help and this a start
Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Zgardenbug13......Welcome to SR

We members are not allowed to give medical advice but if I had
a doctor tell me that any drinking was healthy for anything
I'd find another doctor more aware of the dangers....

Hope you will find your way into sobriety..it's such a great way of life.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

..Jersey1....Welcome

I hope you and your husband are heading into a sober future...
I've yet to meet anyone who told me they were proud and pleased
that they had drinkers for parents.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Wine was my choice, too. Only wine - nothing else. Never cocktails, spirits, beer, champagne. Just wine. Expensive wine, cheap wine, boxed wine.....a bottle a night, every night, for the last couple of years. Because I didn't drink anything else, I felt I could justify not calling myself an alcoholic.

Akiki, I nearly died after choking on my own vomit after JUST ONE BOTTLE OF WINE. No dinner, because I couldn't be bothered to eat after cooking for my kids. That was IT. I was nearly a goner. That was 25 days ago, and I haven't touched a drop since. Wine nearly took my life, as well as causing a whole bunch of other problems. I am glad you have posted on here, and seen the replies. You know, I think, what you need to do. All the best!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

wineoholic myself....drank it to get over anxiety of divorce and to sleep at night. Did it for 7-8 years. Usually a bottle....tried to convince myself that i was doing better by going to box wine because it has less bac...only to drink more cuz of that. I'm an alcoholic and been sober 18 days now. Every day is mixed with good and bad parts. The anxiety has been bad but the way my body looks is night and day. You know your body better than anyone so you know whether its addicted or not....but clearly sounds like it is. God bless, be strong and don't be scared to fight the fight.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

golf69...well done on your sober time...
Old 05-20-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

We have a whole new flock of new ladies on here!
I can't keep up!
Go Carol!
Welcome all. The wine, the wine, the wine.
Oh and then the vodka, the brandy, the whiskey, the bacardi!
PROGRESSIVE.
I have been off it for 7 months Sunday.
Feel better than ever before. 42 yrs old and I have just been reborn. Lost loads of weight. Sleeping well. Less stress. Lots of attention from boys. Peace and happiness.
Do it ladies. Kick that stuff.

One thing that has not improved, is my skin. I have been devouring inhuman amounts of chocolate and cake and cookies. BUT IT IS MEDICINAL! LOL
Old 08-04-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

response to wine-a-holic

I understand where you are coming from believe me. I am also an wine/alcoholic. I agree with everything you said in your post, you need it to sleep and relax and unwind. That is how it started for me. I quit smoking a few years back and started drinking wine every night...No matter what the alcohol is I have learned so far if you are depending on it for any reason then yes it is a problem. You can message me if you want to communicate further. Hope you are ok.....stay strong
Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

hello I am not middle aged but in my 30's. I do understand and have the same problem as you with wine....not to mention that my usual slim figure has put on about 25 lbs of weight. I am a wine addict and know that this is something I will battle for the rest of my life. If you would like to communicate with me please feel free to connect. Peace
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

CarpeDiem10...

Thanks for joining SR ..hope all is well with you and your family
Old 08-07-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Wino

I'm so glad to have found this thread. I'm still trying to make it through day one. So far so good today - Sunday at 1:30 P.M. I plan to go out at 3:00 to an exercise class and then a meeting tonight.
Wine is just as scarey as other alcholic drinks. Last night I had one bottle of 12% pinot grigio but this morning I looked at 3 objects on my table. I remember being at my friend's house and she gave them to me but I don't remember what time I was there or why I went to her house. I don't know if I was drunk then or got drunk after. Is that what a blackout is? I remember, being so drunk by 5:00 P.M. and that I was laying on the floor with the dog, under the computer desk. My stomach aches now when I drink. This is what one bottle of wine a night can do.
These first few days are REALLY hard. I think tomorrow I'll do 2 or 3 meetings.
It was an eye opener for me to read on here that wine is more alcohol dense than other forms of drink. If you read this, pray for me to make it through day one.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Girl, please stop it! Right now. There are many many definitions of alcoholism. Mine is if you need a drink, you had better not.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

'nuther thing about wine is I think it makes you sicker - at least I found this to be true with red wine. Thing is, if you can't account for your whereabouts while drinking, you probably did have a blackout.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Alcohol never helped me sleep. I can't identify with that. It would make me sleep like a rock for 3-4 hours, then up with the shakes and sweats.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Glad to have found this site

I have been struggling with being an alcoholic in denile for some time, I had been told I had a problem when I was a preteen but was not in a hurry to believe it.
I have recently over the past 5 years started drinking more and more wine, I have gotten to where I drink a bottle of wine a night and if its the weekend sometimes two.
I have been justifying this by telling myself that I don't drink from the bottle and it takes me hours to finish.
Today is my second day and I am already feeling the prickly sensation anticipating a glass of wine.
I am scared at this point and very glad I have someone to talk to our at least relate
Old 09-07-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JulyBabe View Post
I'm so glad to have found this thread. I'm still trying to make it through day one. So far so good today - Sunday at 1:30 P.M. I plan to go out at 3:00 to an exercise class and then a meeting tonight.
Wine is just as scarey as other alcholic drinks. Last night I had one bottle of 12% pinot grigio but this morning I looked at 3 objects on my table. I remember being at my friend's house and she gave them to me but I don't remember what time I was there or why I went to her house. I don't know if I was drunk then or got drunk after. Is that what a blackout is? I remember, being so drunk by 5:00 P.M. and that I was laying on the floor with the dog, under the computer desk. My stomach aches now when I drink. This is what one bottle of wine a night can do.
These first few days are REALLY hard. I think tomorrow I'll do 2 or 3 meetings.
It was an eye opener for me to read on here that wine is more alcohol dense than other forms of drink. If you read this, pray for me to make it through day one.
I will pray for you..and if you can send some my way I am having the same problem
Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

DancingSober.....

Welcome to our our recovery community...good to know you are heading into a sober future....

Have you noticed we have a Newcomers Forum? that would be another good place to share on

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/

I know they recently started a thread for those beginning sobreity in September.