Notices

wine-aholic or alcoholic ???????????

Old 11-09-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

wow - my same problem. I would buy a box(s) of wine to last 3 days. I got tired of hiding it. Dreaming about hiding it. Tired of forgetting things and tired of making a small disagreement a huge argument. I decided to give up being the god of my life and let Jesus be in charge of every area. 16 days wine free!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome,

Like you wine is my favorite as well. I am tired of fighting this illness. And I cannot afford to keep drinking on the weekends nor can I keep hiding the bottles and not being able to sleep well when I do drink. I, we, can fight this.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow. Reading each and every one of these posts remind me of myself, I too could have written each and every one.
I am knew to this site and still trying to figure out how it works. But just reading the posts really seems to help.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wine did me in...
It's simple
I now know there is another level above beer
So i'll go back to it because it works
gets me drunk quicker
next step is vodka/jager
It's kinda messed up...the more i know about what my body can handle
the easier it is to relapse into a much higher category of alcohol quicker.
It used to take a decade to reach a point where there's a problem with drinking
I can break that down to a week now.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

alcoholic is someone dependent on alcohol - wine-oholic is someone who dependant on wine, which contains alcohol - dont kid yourself sweety - talk to someone quick coz it sounds as though the dreaded alco devil has got his grasp on you and you seem to have joined the ""let's make an excuse to have one""" club - yes i know that you probably work hard and toil to bring up family without hubby being there all the time and yes you most certainly deserved "me" time. try and find alternate ways to relax - a nice hot bath followed by a steaming hot cup of hot chocolate and you'll sleep like a log - please think carefully about the wine situation. its ok saying that you dont touch beer or spirits but at the end of the day beer wine and spirits all contain the beelzibub, just different concentrations thats all - good luck and take care

rob
Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our new SR member
robfromhull.....
Old 04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome robfromhull

D
Old 04-14-2011, 01:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

this has helped so much here i am first day on the site trying to quit and i had a problem with my business program today so my solution was have a drink and who gives a ****, meanwhile my problem will be there in the morning and i will have to face it hungover. i was looking at the posts and thinking yes i am craving a wine but no i wont do it, then the problem with the business program was my way of saying yes go and do it you deserve it. it is definitely a rollercoaster ride you feel great when you have that wine but when you wake up you think oh my god why did i do that???? then the day starts all over again i will be good, i will be good it only lasts until i can find an excuse to have another drink. tomorrow as they say will be another day and hopefully a better one.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yes it's difficult to get your sober life going
but it's the wisest move I ever made....

Welcome to SR...
Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Many of there posts remind me of me. I love the taste of wine and no other drink makes me feel so good. It helps me wind down at the end of the day. I have been drinking since I was 14 and now I am 52. I keep waiting for something to show up on my lab tests but nothing. I am going to try the suggestion of going without it for one month and see. I want to lose some weight and also wake up guilt free
Old 04-26-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey

Im a recovering alcoholic. When I went to treatment I didnt think I was an alcoholic. Because I thought an alcoholic was someone who drank everyday that was homless or didnt have a job etc. But I quickly learned that an alcholic is some one that once they start to drink they have klittle control over the amount the drink. And once they manage to stop they cant help but start up again. So once I start I cant stop. Once Ive managed to stop I cant help but drink again. If thats you then dont worry there is a solution. The Big Book of Alcohlics Annoymous. I hope that helps.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am right there with you. Wine was/is my drink of choice. I could justify drinking it because of what is said medically on red wine. My problem is the 3rd and 4th glass. I also enjoy vodka especially when my husband and I go out of town.

Last night I purged my house of all alcohol. One day down the rest of my life to go.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

jokertha3rd....

Hi again....glad you are heading into a sober future
Old 04-27-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Akua...

Good to see you posting again...
I hope your new start works out smoothly.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

After reading your post I wonder what are you wait for to show up??? It's strange how we gamble with our lives. We know the risk and we still do it.... Why?

May today be a day of freedom from bondage that shows up so sweet but is a complete lie.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Wine is my drink of choice, also.
Problem is- one glass leads to 4, 5, 10 glasses...trying to get control.
I will stop for a few days and then that"voice" starts up in my head...Out of no where mid afternoon the "voice" will start in my head andthen I think, " a nice glass of wine after a day of work, sounds good, I'll just have one glass while I make dinner. Well, we all know what happens next- I do make dinner ,but I have also drank more than 1 glass of wine. Several usually, then I am usless, usually fall asleep in front of the TV....
What I have come to realize is " I really DO NOT have control after that first drink. All control, goes out the window...It truly amazes me, since in other areas of my life, I am considered a strong women...I have a wonderful family, children are grown, wonderful husband...
So, why can't I control drinking?? I keep telling myself, I can, but obviously not....

I need to find a way to stop" the voice!!!"

I am hoping that by checking in to SR everyday and reading about others similar to me, I can find a way..
Day 1 yet again for me- TODAY
Any other middle aged women out there with similar issue?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Lockcap. To answer your question, YES! I could have written your words except for the grown children. Otherwise, yep yep yep. I've got that voice too!

Welcome! I hope you like reading and posting and learning here as much as I do. I stopped drinking March 1 but only got here a week or so ago. SO helpful to be part of conversations to help me start unraveling the issues underneath my drinking.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lockcap View Post
I really DO NOT have control after that first drink.
That is the fundamental trait of all alcoholics. Knowing this about myself, the only way I could control this lack of control, was to not drink at all. Ever. Give it up entirely.

After years of failing with that effort, I came to the other fundamental trait of alcoholics. I did not have the control to NOT drink. On the one hand, if I drink, I drink too much too often, and all sorts of bad things happen. On the other hand, I couldn't not drink.

Those two facts, born out of my own experience, put me in a right and truly screwed position. But those two facts also opened up the 12 Steps for me.

I didn't have the power to stay sober, and the 12 Steps are all about hooking me up with some power.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

red wine!!!

Hi, I'd like to join the "middle aged successful woman with kids and great husband and dog and cat and great job...plus a little problem with controlling how much wine I drink every day" club.
Every night started with "a nice glass of wine after work", with or without my husband joining me.
Wow, it's like being in a support group without going anywhere. Very inspiring.
I am day 7. It was just a matter of time before the wine ruined my success at work. It was already robbing my kids and husband and pets from attention from me, and robbing myself of intimacy with my husband...falling asleep before going to bed is definitely anti-productive!
I hit my personal "rock bottom" warning last Friday and am now day 7 on my new life. I had one glass of wine on Sunday and Monday night because I was on vacation AND hadn't committed to sobriety yet, so really I am day 3.
It is easier than I thought but I know I have many challenges ahead. So glad to be not alone! And so glad to be waking up without guilt.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Mimsy,,Welcome.....

Glad to know you are chooseing sobreity