Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
You did ask for honesty.
Yes I did... and thank you so much!!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Eliminating my habituated role as a besotted inebriate freed up a lot of time and effort and that naturally led me into some new territory, but I never accepted that new territory as being limited to just another “vice” or habituated behavior due to some hardened condition of my brain or personality. That kind of rigidity sounds to me like something an addiction treatment professional might suggest to a customer in order to implant the suggestion of further treatment down the line.
Two thumbs up! Love this!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveHateWhine View Post
Hi - just surfing the forums and came upon your post.

I suggest you try The Alcohol Experiment. It's at wwwDOTalcoholexperimentDOTCOM. (Wasn't sure if a link would post here or not hence the cryptic website). It is a 30-day "experiment" where you go alcohol free for 30 days. There are daily inspirational e-mails, videos and even a forum like this one with others who are also partaking in the "experiment." It was started by the author of the book This Naked Mind. It presents a more scientific based approach.

I am a member of another forum on SR, and there are a few others who are also trying it.

Good luck.
My mentor suggested this... thanks! I'll check it out!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle1944 View Post
This saying is a matter of context. I've heard this over the years in recovery groups. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." For me it wasn't and isn't.

Insanity in legal terms pertains to the ability to determine right from wrong when a crime is committed. Insanity mental / illness as such is of a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior. I experienced abstinence many times based on self-will and eventually I surrendered and now experience sobriety. My recovery process was sane behavior.

As a new salesperson, with suggested guidance from my sales manager, I followed her direction and I did the same thing over and over again, realizing that I’d experience rejection the vast majority of the time, but knowing based on my guidance, that eventually I’d make a sale, which is a different result from rejection. After that first experience, I had a frame of reference which helped me become successful.

Also, Page 59, Alcoholics Anonymous reads…Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to “sanity”. Their use of sanity 80 years ago when Alcoholics Anonymous was written was based on ignorance (lack of knowledge).
This is GREAT insight!! My takeaway is that a successful salesperson could achieve a 5% success rate. Therefore, it may take up to 20 times for that salesperson to make the first sale, so it is worth repeating that behavior.

On the other hand, someone who is alcohol dependent that makes attempts to eliminate their dependency while still drinking is 0%. That is definitely not a behavior worth repeating.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi all - Continuing this conversation and keeping it real...

I was driving home after a busy weekend and was planning to make a post in this forum saying "BUT". The "BUT" being that quitting drinking is not a near term life or death situation for me... and the "BUT" being the fact that I have never had to face major consequences because of my drinking.

Now I realize this is ******* stupid... the "it could always be worse" explanation is a cop out... and I should feel really fortunate that I have identified the problem before it got much worse. (This is ironic, because Russell Brand and a few people I met at AA said THEY were the lucky ones because their problem was so bad that they had no choice but to stop altogether. I am amazed by their humility.)

I really appreciate the many incredible insights and feedback from the members of this forum, and thrilled that technology allows me to gain these amazing perspectives! Perspectives that are more meaningful and persuasive than what I have gained from my wife, doctor, or any other relative, friend, or acquaintance.

Please keep the honest feedback and amazing perspectives coming!! This will help change my life for the better!