AVRT Explained (long)

Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
ALinNS, hope you are weathering the weather today OK, my sister just left by air for Halifax, it's looking a little iffy.

I found the most effective way to battle my urges, to fight the AV, was not to fight it at all. I find that giving it my full attention with as little emotional involvment as possible to be very effective. Mindfulness or awareness, they mean the same thing to me. By doing this, staring it, I can see it for what it is. It isn't anything more than the leftover of a previous physical and psychological dependency. It isn't real in the sense that it has no real power to influence my actions. My rational mind has the ultimate control simply because I say so. I have decided I deserve to be sober and that I am going to stay sober, and that is the end of it. Those days of misery and shame and guilt and depression and anger are all in the past for me.

I recovered, and you can be recovered too, Andrew. You got this one. Onward!
I agree but I need help in some areas, victim of a pedophile at the age of 13, witnessed a you couple who just became married killed in front of me in a car crash by a drunk driver (I was working at a gas station on the highway and had just filled their car) followed home from a bank I worked at and stabbed in the back.....when my mind becomes weak from being tired and working too many hours, I start having flashbacks in my dreams and sometimes in the day. I need to learn to forgive myself as I was not responsible yet this voice comes and I make the wrong decision, but I will get the help I need and then I can have a happy life because when I am strong such as now they have no impact, just a distant memory. The AV knows when I am weak and it gets pretty bad. Anyhow I know what needs to be done and I will do it and am making great strides.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Great reading here. Thanks Fresh start.

day 4. Looking for the AVRT thread now. Hope you're doing well AL in NS.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

ALinNS, hope you are weathering the weather today OK, my sister just left by air for Halifax, it's looking a little iffy.

I found the most effective way to battle my urges, to fight the AV, was not to fight it at all. I find that giving it my full attention with as little emotional involvment as possible to be very effective. Mindfulness or awareness, they mean the same thing to me. By doing this, staring it, I can see it for what it is. It isn't anything more than the leftover of a previous physical and psychological dependency. It isn't real in the sense that it has no real power to influence my actions. My rational mind has the ultimate control simply because I say so. I have decided I deserve to be sober and that I am going to stay sober, and that is the end of it. Those days of misery and shame and guilt and depression and anger are all in the past for me.

I recovered, and you can be recovered too, Andrew. You got this one. Onward!
Thanks Freshstart for your words. i am encouraged too. Day 4 and I have just began the antabuse med to help me blast off. It hopefully will take drinking option off the table until i'm mentally, emotionally stronger and more stable. Loving the avrt stuff. Thank you.

Greg
Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You have everything you need to succeed, BillyBlanks,, complete and fully formed inside you. Believe in your ability to do this, for you most certainly can. Consider every doubt and fear to be the death throes of your drinking habit, and every urge to take that drink to be coming from IT, not from you. And how can you know this to be so?

This is so because you have made this solemn, unconditional, and considered covenenant with life: you will never drink again, no matter what. And you will never change your mind.

Best to you. And ONWARD!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

This thread is like a breath of fresh air for me! I never understood the value of saying to myself that I was helpless in the face of my problem drinking and needed To submit to Gods will. I am in full power of my choices. Thank you so much for this post!!
Old 06-20-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I've never understood faith healing either, I also believe that only I have the power to decide to quit drinking/drugging. I'm not sure what I believe regarding God or religion but I have a problem with a God who would ignore all the atrocities and injustices in the world yet single me out to cure of wanting to get drunk. Do I believe that I have an Addictive Voice that will always want to get drunk one more time for old times sake? Yes I do. Do I believe that I can ignore that voice and decide to never pour alcohol down my throat again? You betcha.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Quitter

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I've never understood faith healing either, I also believe that only I have the power to decide to quit drinking/drugging. I'm not sure what I believe regarding God or religion but I have a problem with a God who would ignore all the atrocities and injustices in the world yet single me out to cure of wanting to get drunk. Do I believe that I have an Addictive Voice that will always want to get drunk one more time for old times sake? Yes I do. Do I believe that I can ignore that voice and decide to never pour alcohol down my throat again? You betcha.
I've never understood giving over my power to God. Why would I do that?
Old 07-05-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Administrator

This forum is for the discussion of secular recovery not for critiques on non secular methods.

Lets keep to the topic of AVRT guys

Dee
SR
Old 07-26-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Hi, secular peeps!

These forums were super helpful to me once upon a time; I see some old friends here, awesome!

I was having a slow day at work, and for some reason it occurred to me to pop in here. That's when I saw it's been over a year since I even logged into the site.

I haven't drank in all that time... Or spent much time thinking about it, if any at all... The only reason I know how many years it's been is because I quit in 2010, making the counting super easy for me, lol.... Hmmmm....

This AVRT stuff must really work, huh?

Best wishes to one and all!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

AVRT Threads

I posted this in another thread, but since this thread is a sticky, I am re-posting here for easier access in the future.

See:
  1. AVRT and Rational Recovery - Google search of SR Forums

2. Forum threads tagged with AVRT

3. Forum threads tagged with Rational Recovery
Old 05-22-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

I just found AVRT the other day, and it resonated very strongly with me. I wonder if the OP is still sober after all these years. Hope so.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:06 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by ImNotThatGuy View Post
I just found AVRT the other day, and it resonated very strongly with me. I wonder if the OP is still sober after all these years. Hope so.
I believe he/she is, last post April 19.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

Freshstart is one of those members I never worry about recovery wise.
He comes and goes...He'll be back

D
Old 07-30-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Doin’ very well these days, thank you. Life is good, and coming up on eight years of freedom from alcohol. Thank you, Dee, and best of all things to you. Onward!
Old 08-24-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Doin’ very well these days, thank you. Life is good, and coming up on eight years of freedom from alcohol. Thank you, Dee, and best of all things to you. Onward!

Thanks for your AVRT posts Freshstart. They have given me more than you will know.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:21 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Just Visiting n Sadly i see very few continuing to support others when in need ;-(
Celebrated on My the force B with me 29 years. "Recovery Comes at all hours n so do Miracles" Author ;-)
Old 05-06-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy 29 years
Always glad to see an long timer - feel free to drop in regularly to continue to support those in need, 4EverIrish,
D
Old 05-06-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

hey 4EverIrish,
way to go on that nice chunk of sober time!!
and just thinking: since you see a gap here in continuing support to those in need, why not step in and offer some of the experience you have in longterm sobriety?