A Mindful New Year - Week One

Old 01-05-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

When does week 2 start, Andy.
I'm like a child at Christmas looking at that week 2 link and wondering what's inside it! (I've been good I haven't peeked.)
Old 01-05-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Trohyn View Post
I'm like a child at Christmas looking at that week 2 link and wondering what's inside it! (I've been good I haven't peeked.)

Monday
Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
Thanks again, andy, for the inspiration. I watched the videos and did the reading.

Last night I tried the body scan meditation, in bed as I was getting ready to sleep. And of course, I fell asleep. I awoke a little while later, picked it up where I *think* I left off, and finished it, went back to sleep.

Luckily in the reading there was a lot of helpful advice about being kind to oneself and accepting that if I fell asleep, maybe I needed the rest. But maybe tonight I'll try the scan a little earlier in the evening.
I found when doing a different body scan meditation if I fell asleep during it I slept deeper and had more content dreams.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

this might be of interest - it's a TED talk on Mindfulness by Andy Puddicombe who is the guy behind Headspace. it's worth a watch, he's quite an entertaining speaker & it's only 10 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzR62JJCMBQ">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzR62JJCMBQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

I never seem to be able to get YouTube links to work on here so here's the direct link too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzR62JJCMBQ
Old 01-06-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

That was brilliant, Andy.
Love the juggling visualisation.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Andy, I actually LOL'd when he said "We get anxious about being anxious" ~ I do that all the time!
Old 01-07-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by shockozulu View Post
Thanks for posting this. I had been using an app with some great meditations but have run through all the free mediations several times and the monthly price was a bit much for the size of the catalog. I’m going to be using this now.
I find the "Insight Timer" app quite good - & it's free - for when you've run through all these a few times
Old 01-07-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

week two thread here:
Old 01-08-2018, 01:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trohyn View Post
Me too! If Andy hadn’t started the weekly thread, I’d have rushed through all 8 weeks worth of material in one week. I much preferred this course body scan version, over the one I learned years ago.

My week one simple awareness practice, was being attentive to sight, sound, sensations whilst walking my drags. The stream gurgled louder, birds chattered more, felt the wind on my face, saw water droplets flying off the dog’s fur......everything was more vivid than when I’d be wandering, lost in thought.

I suddenly noticed early morning dew casting rainbows and sparkles off the grass, which instantly brought to mind thoughts of early sobriety, when I’d be awestruck and transfixed by this beauty at my feet, that had escaped me during my drinking years. Then my thoughts marched on to highlight regrettable drinking incidents, lost years.......and instead of then ‘thinking about my thoughts’ and become embroiled in a spiral of self-defeating and depressing thoughts - I continued practicing mindful awareness and the thoughts gradually dissipated and new thoughts arose.

Thanks Andy, I really enjoyed this week and I’m looking forward to week two.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Beautiful, Tatsy.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I have a cat and I feel nothing towards her but yesterday I put myself in her paws and how she must feel when she hangs out with me, because she is always trying to watch tv or be on my bed or generally bother me. So observe and see how good you really are by putting yourself in other peoples shoes. Hopefully you got some people or some pets that love you, if not come here and I definately got love for people trying to better their lives.