Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Give Yourself a Sober Life with Secular Connections

Give Yourself a Sober Life with Secular Connections

Old 01-01-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Believers, non-believers, everyone who believes in themselves and their right to determine their own future, or at least to be present when the decisions are made, can get something out of this forum.

Raider, I have a strong Christian faith and I worship very regularly. I have a love and respect for things spiritual, and I support certain political movements. And I like pancakes. I just don't believe that these aspects of my makeup have much to do with my sobriety. As far as I am concerned, I am happy to discuss any of those subjects anytime. Fortunately the SR folks have provided a place where discussion of these and some other topics are actively discouraged. Instead, the focus here is on learning how to empower ourselves to make decisions about improving our lives. Like Dorothy, we believe we already have within us what we need to believe in ourselves, to empower ourselves and to demand lives with peace and joy in them.

You are most welcome here, but arguments about religion are not. You may find here what you are seeking too. I hope you keep posting.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Verily...

Let us properly attribute the provenance of Festivus - for the rest of us - to George Costanza's Father on 'Seinfeld'.

'Festivus For The Rest Of Us' ~ Seinfeld

-----
Old 01-02-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Freeing myself from God or any reasonable facsimile there of liberated my recovery process from a whole lot of hindrances. I strongly desired sobriety but an odd spiritual makeover was not in my stars. Secular Connections helped me separate the 'other world' of spirituality from the real business of me getting clean.

SC of SR is a great place to practice a recovery you want without the undue pressure to convert to mystical powers beyond ones reasonably.
Breaking free from my strong atheist background has not been a walk in the park. Apologies for going off into the deep end here.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

thanks
Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Drat. I was so looking forward to discussing those pancakes!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Here to agree with Nons original POV!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Today I was reading about the tragedy that happened in Paris and it took me to reading about other cultures & faiths & the reasons behind wars etc...
Sorry, the point is only through my research about religion did I find out what SECULAR actually means!
So tonight, feeling a bit weak & like I need the company of like-minded individuals (e.g. Sober alcoholics - sorry for the label people) I log into SR. And I see he secular section and think... Great idea 👍
So here I am
I've read about self empowerment here & I need some more of that stuff
Weird how I keep thinking about religion, I'm undecided so I don't know what faith that makes me.
I do know, however, I am 18 months free from booze
The only help I've had is me & thee!
Well done to all no matter who or what you are or once were or will become

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself