How do you Respond to your AV?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yesterday I meant to say, "Your idea to quit my job, buy a boat that I don't know how to operate, and then sail it from port to port getting drunk is intriguing, but I am going to have to pass on that."

But it just came out, "Oh, STFU already!"

I may have hurt its feelings, but it'll get over it. It always does.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Been making a list recently. Best one I have so far is

"I will NEVER let anything control me so bad that it makes me shake at night."

Also, I think of this guy who was in the ER with me. He was blacked out and yelling at everyone. I could see the disdain in the security guard's eyes as they asked him politely to remain in his bed. I look at that and say one drink will lead to that.

Maybe to some, alcohol can be an enjoyable pastime. To me, it's a pathetic controlling detriment to my mental, physical, spiritual, and emotional health.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

I sometimes chuckle at my beast, especially when it is being particularly strategic. I acknowledge it, always acknowledge, and then my only dialog is just, "no". Then refocus on something productive.

I have to pull out the ol' "I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind" mantra. It seems simple, but it is a powerful phrase in my life.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Here is my routine, FeenixRising.[*]I acknowledge mine as fully as I can, I try to recognize the heck out of it. I become aware of it and then aware of my feeling around this awareness. Sadness? Excitement? Increased breathing rate? I do an emotional and physical survey to make a mindful acknowledgment as complete as I can.[*] Next, I accept it. I understand the reasons for feeling as I do, given my past experiences with and around alcohol, and this helps me to accept the existence of these thoughts. I accept what is.[*]Finally, I separate from it. I made this plan, this vow, this solemn promise, to never drink again and never change my mind. This was done by me, by the part of me that reasons, hopes, experiences and dreams. This then means that these thoughts of drinking again, or doubt in my ability to remain abstinent, must come from a different part of me, part that I no longer give control of my life to. They come from a part of me that can do nothing except seek pleasure instinctively, that now will lead me back to hell. Over all of this, I put a morality caveat. To cognitively consider drinking again is now immoral for me. I consider this in the light of who I used to be, what I used to do, and what has happened to others because of me. And what could happen, because of me, to others if I drank again.
I like the morality angle. A lot.