Why are you where you are in sobriety

Old 04-01-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hey Vlad, welcome. I too was a long time lurker before I posted anything. That story breaks my heat as well.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

1. Divine intervention

2. I truly love my sober life. I love that I am no longer a slave to alcohol.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome Vlad! You are right...that is heartbreaking. How long have you been sober?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SoberRecovery Vlad. This is a great place to start your recovery journey.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckedog View Post
Just curious, What one thing, or couple of things, can you point to;

1. As being the main thing that got you sober!
I had to think long and carefully about the issue, but in the end I decided that it was in my best interest to stop drinking. And so I did.

2. The main reason you STAY sober now?
Well for the most part I don't even think about it. However, on those rare occasions when I do, it's easy to see that nothing has changed which would suddenly make drinking a good idea. On the contrary, it's just as bad an idea as ever. So my sobriety continues...
Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I Have recently Google for the definition of word, "secular". OK, I "get it"...

1. First reason, The physical allergy, I did not know there was such a thing.
I cannot stop, I tried to drink/ sip wine like others.

2. My mind, I was cornered trying to live a life, what are the rules for living sober?
Don't drink?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey Pete! I think the rule of thumb is sober is when you don't drink...recovery is when you don't drink and are happy about it
Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yeah I know LF, Thanks,
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

1. As being the main thing that got you sober!

The realizations that a) moderation doesn't work for me because alcoholism is a brain thing, and b) that I could continue to make booze my priority in life and suffer the continued consequences on my health, mental health, relationships, and finances. OR I could QUIT! which suddenly became the obviously SANE choice in a strange moment of clarity type deal during my last time drunk.

2. The main reason you STAY sober now?

Again, two realizations: a) that moderation doesn't work for me because alcoholism is a brain thing, and b) Life is much better this way. Even though coping with emotions can be harder, and I had to make radical changes to my social life, everything else really is tons better now: physical and mental health, relationships, finances, you got it. I would never throw it away, and strongly believe that recovery is the best thing I've ever done.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Welcome Vlad! You are right...that is heartbreaking. How long have you been sober?
9+ months.

I boxed up the bar and threw it in the HOA dumpster that night. Had no withdrawal symptoms except insomnia, but I've been an insomniac since I was a kid. No withdrawal surprised me as I was drinking 375 - 500 cc of bourbon a night for years. I could easily kill a half gallon in three days. I changed the desktop photo on every computer I use to a pic of the kids. I taped a picture to the dashboard of the car. I also glued pictures of them to an aluminum Mardi Gras coin, sealed it and kept it in my pocket with my cash. When I wanted to drink, wherever I looked was a visual reminder of why I had to stay sober and alive.

I had a long conversation with my Minister and he pushed me hard to attend meetings there at the church. I was a coward and went across town because I didn't want to face anyone I knew. Stupid logic. Anyone at a meeting is a drunk like me and nothing to worry about! Anyway, after several weeks I thanked my temporary sponsor and told him it wasn't for me and I wasn't coming back. He wished me well and told me he was worried I could do this on my own. I told him "I'm powerless against the waves, so I will choose to stay out of the ocean."

I found AVRT a couple of months later. Trimpey put words to things I was sort of doing already and helped me codify my thoughts into a system. I've been through numerous business and social events, the Holidays, and a reunion with college roommates that turned into an embarrassing boozefest without a setback, so far.

I'm an asst. coach on my son's little league team. I know nothing about coaching baseball but he doesn't know that. I'm also a booster for my daughter's tennis team and now a Lay Reader at church. My sex drive is back and the wife is happy about that (and so am I!) I'll always feel guilty about the time and opportunities I wasted in a whiskey bottle. All I can do is try my best every day for my family who stood by me and for some reason still love me.

Most importantly:

I will not drink again and I will not change my mind.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have no idea why I posted all of that.

Sorry for the thread derail.

Vlad
Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

"I will not drink again and I will not change my mind."-Vlad

I love that! Once I took that stance I immediately felt 100lbs lighter!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Vlad, I thought it was A great post! Honest, thought full, A plan for moving foreword . Some positive moves toward making things better. ( I epically like the kids pictures thing)! Seeking help can’t hurt either, go with what you’re comfortable with. I like AVRT & use the principals, also use SMART and Rational recovery. These are all good tools; I pick the stuff that works best for me and leave the rest.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I have no idea why I posted all of that.

Sorry for the thread derail.

Vlad
I'm super glad you did...it was one of the most inspiring posts I've read recently
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

i got sober to save my life and to stop my pain.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SoberRecovery Kingkooz. I hope your stay here will be a rewarding one. If you like start a new thread and introduce yourself.