Natural Remedies?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Natural Remedies?

I'm a firm believer in naturopathy and other forms of alternative medicine. While not based on "lab" science, I think Eastern Medicine practictioners were on to something if they've been using the same herbs and other natural treatments to help people for centuries. I'm also suspicious when it comes to western medicine and the drive for profit in rehabs, so thats another motivating factor in trying out other things.

Lately I've been thinking about getting accupuncture to relieve drug cravings. I've also thought about getting kava, kudzu and I've already tried valerian root for sleep.

Have you guys tried anything or asked naturopaths/healers for remedies? What has been successful?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

The only advice I have is not to use kava.
I used to be a deadhead and we used kava in a ceremonial fasion (haha) to get high.
I use melatonin for sleep.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used kava too- before I got sober. It may have medicinal benefits, but I was never able to use it that way.

That's why I steered clear of drugs for reducing cravings - I figured I was in enough trouble lol

D
Old 05-27-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
I'm a firm believer in naturopathy and other forms of alternative medicine. While not based on "lab" science, I think Eastern Medicine practictioners were on to something if they've been using the same herbs and other natural treatments to help people for centuries. I'm also suspicious when it comes to western medicine and the drive for profit in rehabs, so thats another motivating factor in trying out other things.

Lately I've been thinking about getting accupuncture to relieve drug cravings. I've also thought about getting kava, kudzu and I've already tried valerian root for sleep.

Have you guys tried anything or asked naturopaths/healers for remedies? What has been successful?
I think it's a great idea. I've used something called sleep aid which is natural and it does work.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I have used valerian root...I think it did help. I was using epidrene at one point in my sobriety. However I got kinda got strung out on it and when I stopped I had some weird withdraws. Yea Kava was the same thing...abused it and became a mess when I cut it off.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

fishing helps
Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I rotate the things I do:

Acupuncture has worked wonders for me for anxiety. 20 minutes into the session and I calm down completely. The effect lasts for awhile (month or so.) Unfortunately it's expensive. The same doctor prescribed Anxiety Control. Natural stuff: B6, Magnesium, GABA, Passion Flower, a couple others things. One in the morning, one in the afternoon for high anxiety/obsessive days, works like magic. No ill effects, no fuzz brain, no after effects; can be taken only as needed. Also helps me sleep if taken at night. (can only get through licensed practitioner.)

Calcium supplements also work for anxiety/insomnia. I take a pill morning, afternoon and before bed with a glass of calcium enriched (soy)milk.

I agree with Windy, going out in nature helps tremendously when I'm obsessing, and something I have started to do regularly as part of my self-care. I recently realized that observing wildlife gets me back in the moment. It's that mindfulness thing.

Reiki helps as well.

Last edited by evmdimples; 05-28-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: one last thought: