Suggestions??

Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Optimist

Question Suggestions??

Hi everyone,

Well, M is now back from his 4 day detox. They had him on Subs while he was there, but did a super-quick taper over the course of the 4 days. He went to the addiction recovery center appointment for their Sub program, and was really really put off by it. It's through a Catholic hospital, and he said it was extremely "God"-based (we're atheistish/agnostic Unitarians) and he would be required to attend 6 meeting a week, plus two weekly appointment with a "counselor" who is a nun! He said that part of his impetus for recovery was to be with his family more, and that would kind of negate the purpose, and I can really see his point, so he has taken himself out of the program. We've looked into NA alternatives, and although it's a biggish city, there are none. So I guess my question is, has anyone else had a similar problem and if so how did you address it?

Thanks,
Daisy

(I couldn't find the "brick wall" smiley, but if I could have I would have put it here.)
Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am terribly "put off" by anything religious, however in some cases I believe anything is better than nothing. It really depends on the incentive to quit I guess... and the ability to swallow religion. To be perfectly honest, I would not decide of my own free will to go to a religious program, and I'm not certain it would help me in any way if I were forced.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This may be a really stupid suggestion, but if you feel something 12-steppy might help, how about plain old AA? If there's not much NA locally, there's certain to be AA, and drugs is drugs as far as I'm concerned...

Apologies if I'm not supposed to suggest that in this subforum.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisy09 View Post
Hi everyone,

Well, M is now back from his 4 day detox. They had him on Subs while he was there, but did a super-quick taper over the course of the 4 days. He went to the addiction recovery center appointment for their Sub program, and was really really put off by it. It's through a Catholic hospital, and he said it was extremely "God"-based (we're atheistish/agnostic Unitarians) and he would be required to attend 6 meeting a week, plus two weekly appointment with a "counselor" who is a nun! He said that part of his impetus for recovery was to be with his family more, and that would kind of negate the purpose, and I can really see his point, so he has taken himself out of the program. We've looked into NA alternatives, and although it's a biggish city, there are none. So I guess my question is, has anyone else had a similar problem and if so how did you address it?

Thanks,
Daisy

(I couldn't find the "brick wall" smiley, but if I could have I would have put it here.)
Hi Daisy, yes I have, and it's very frustrating. Don't know where you live, but you might look on Unhooked.com to see if there is a meeting where you live. SMART is another alternative or SOS (although much more limited in scope based on research I have done). I can appreciate M's feelings. He is not alone. What I've discovered is that we just muddle through best we can at this point in time. Sorry I cannot be of more help. It is what it is. :shrug:
Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Optimist

Thanks all,

Piglet: no such thing as a stupid question...the problem is that all the 12-step things seem to be heavily God-based, at least God-based enough to really turn M off.

Katie: Thanks, we did look into those on-line, and unfortunately the closet meeting for any of them is 3 hours away.

Poppy: Did you use any sort of support "program", or have you been taking care of yourself? I'm asking because sometimes you get these dire warnings on other boards that anyone who doesn't "work a program" is doomed to failure.

Thanks for the help

Daisy

Last edited by Daisy09; 05-28-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: mispelled
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisy09 View Post
Thanks all,

Piglet: no such thing as a stupid question...the problem is that all the 12-step things seem to be heavily God-based, at least God-based enough to really turn M off.

Katie: Thanks, we did look into those on-line, and unfortunately the closet meeting for any of them is 3 hours away.

Poppy: Did you use any sort of support "program", or have you been taking care of yourself? I'm asking because sometimes you get these dire warnings on other boards that anyone who doesn't "work a program" is doomed to failure.

Thanks for the help

Daisy
Daisy, they do have chat and also an email list on unhooked. Maybe that could hlep?