Notices

Agnostics and Athiests in AA....how is it going Part 2

Old 02-06-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Agnostics and Athiests in AA....how is it going Part 2

Time for a new thread. The powers to be close threads after 500 post...why? I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with something website management...or not...LOL.

Anywho, here is the continuation of Ananda's thread.

Secular Recovery Rocks

Last edited by shockozulu; 02-09-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

<raising hand> Present.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

on my way to a meeting soon

I'll report back

Oh yeah i hate being agnostic....aithiest was a lot easier
Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

IBTL

(In Before The Lock)

Always something to post on controversial threads or those destined to hit 500

Thought I'd get that in early
Old 02-06-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe in the olden days here, too many threads over 500 really slowed things up.

Carry on
D
Old 02-06-2010, 11:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

awsome meeting...met a girl from treatment 2.5 years ago who is on day 1.....helped her get it together...juice, ensure, a big book....had a nice talk
Old 02-07-2010, 02:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Now that's an AWSOME evening.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rockin 'n' rollin' everyday

Life is great.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Sunday Funnies:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
secularss.jpg (89.0 KB, 252 views)
Old 02-07-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Um I think the quote in your signature is generally attributed to Fred Hoyle, either way it has been pretty much demolished by statisticians (I may be wrong it's happened before!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

By the way, no offense meant to Fred Hoyle who was from what I have read a brilliant Physicist, but his whole arguement was for (sic) Panspermia (seeding of life from aliens rather than god), however I base this on a bit of knowledge of him rather than deep knowledge.

More info on Michio Kaku would be appreciated if you have the time.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Thanks for the tip! You're right - Hoyle it is:

"A junkyard contains all the bits and pieces of a Boeing 747, dismembered and in disarray. A whirlwind happens to blow through the yard. What is the chance that after its passage a fully assembled 747, ready to fly, will be found standing there? So small as to be negligible, even if a tornado were to blow through enough junkyards to fill the whole Universe." (p.19)"

Kaku's quote is exactly as my signature. Seems he reworded it just enough in 'Parallel worlds' to make it his own. I forgive 'em tho. :-)

Hey, thank goodness someone posted. I was trying to think of something to do. :-)

"seeding of life from aliens rather than god" Yeah, I agree, it's kinda empty, isn't it? If we were made by sentient aliens, who made the aliens? If they're not sentient in any way we can dream of, then we're back to a kind of god, right?

Michio Kaku is best known for being a science popularist & futurist. I forget the name of his one book... You can probably look it up. Basically it talks about the four types of civilizations. We're a type-0 because we still mainly rely on dead plants for fuel (We need to get into type 1 or 2 - where we control the weather BEFORE the next ice-age). He's very good about explaining the big theories out there to easily confused people like me. He's intelligent without the slightest hint of arrogance. Kinda cute too.

I tend not to try and project what I think is actually going on around here. Because I'd be wrong anyway 'cause I ain't that smrt. I try to keep my mind on the fascinating proven (and generally agreed upon theories) of today's physicists. They are much more bizarre than anything I could ever come up with.

Superstring Theory/M-theory make my mouth water. Along with all the really weird things going on in the quantum level. Where one particle can be in two different places at the SAME time. Brain bender, that one.

This little bit below reeled me in, along with the photo of the visible universe on the other page. I probably don't need to give you the basics on string theory. :-)

-----------------------

EINSTEINS LION:

Michio Kaku (sampler)

In one dazzling stroke, M-theory has come close to solving superstring theory's two long-standing questions , leaving many theoretical physicists (myself included) gasping at its power. M-theory, moreover, may even force string theory to change its name because, although many features of M-theory are still unknown , it does not seem to be a theory purely of strings. Other strange beasts seem to emerge, including various types of membranes. Michael Duff of Texas A&M University is already giving talks with the title " The theory formerly known as strings".

"Nature shows us only the tail of the lion. But I do not doubt that the lion belongs to it even though he cannot at once reveal himself because of his enormous size" - Albert Einstein M-theory does not prove the final correctness of superstring theory. Not by any means. Proving or disproving its validity may take years more. But it still marks an astonishing breakthrough. Remember that some of the finest minds of this century have been stumped by the problem of creating a "Theory of Everything". Einstein summed up the problem when he said: Nature shows us only the tail of the lion. But I do not doubt that the lion belongs to it even though he cannot at once reveal himself because of his enormous size." The tail" is what we see in nature , which can be described by the four fundamental forces -gravity, electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. The lion is the ultimate theory that will unify them in one short equation.

Today, physicists believe that the first force, gravity, can be described by Einstein's general relativity, based on the smooth warping of the fabric of space- time. This is an elegant theory that describes the macroscopic world of black holes, quasars and the big bang. But gravity has stubbornly refused to unite with the other three forces , which are described by quantum theory. Here, instead of the smooth fabric of space-time, we have the discrete world of packets of energy, or quanta.

The form of quantum theory that goes furthest in describing matter and its interactions is the Standard Model, which is based on a bizarre bestiary of particles such as quarks , leptons and bosons (see Diagram). The Standard Model may be one of the most successful theories in science, but it is also one of the ugliest. Its inadequacy is betrayed by some 19 arbitrary constants not derived by any kind of theory that have to be put in "by hand" to make the equations work.

Capturing the "lion", which unites these two great theories, would be a crowning achievement for physics. But while Einstein was first to set off on this noble hunt, tracking the footprints left by the lion, he ultimately lost the trail and wandered off into the wilderness.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Oh yeah, what you said about my signature -

I like this quote because it appears a little paradoxal. It reminds me that NOBODY know's what the h*ll is going ON. :-)
Old 02-08-2010, 12:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are right, of course, he has reworded the quote in order to cover another point all together (very cool).

To counter your point about who made the aliens, who made god lol it's a common arguement used by Dawkins, if god made a complex universe then he must be more complex in turn lol

Kaku sounds like a fascinating character and I will be sure to check him out.

Oh and as for not being smart, I am about as far from smart as you can get in a fast car but what the hell does it matter if we are trying to learn
Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Thought this might give us a little fun something to do. I wanted to find some pictures or various scenarios of future human evolution. I could only find this one, and it looks all sorts of wrong! The nose multi-filtering system is interesting, but we'd be dead from pollution (at the going rate) before our bodies could possible adjust! And a spatula finger? Seriously hope we don't have to push buttons at this stage of the game. And where's all his electronic parts? ;-) I still lean twords our good 'ol grey "aliens" myself.

Comments? Other photo's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
future_human.jpg (42.5 KB, 228 views)
Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Hiya Allport,

Fixed my signature. Thanks again! :-)
Old 02-12-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just got home from a speaker meeting...it was really helpful for me.

There are sooo many benifits for me in attending meetings. I even got asked to share ... which my ego loved...but i was aware i had nothing to share on topic...so i just thank them, sat down, and listened to others

How is AA going for the rest of you godless bunch
Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I had one tonite too. It's a big book meeting. What can I say, It's the only one around town. But, after 2 1/2 years, I've probably been over that thing a couple dozen times. :-) Good talk tho. It was the second meeting I ever went to so it's close to my heart.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
How is AA going for the rest of you godless bunch
Went to my one weekly Saturday 10a meeting at the Alano Club. It was a mellow meeting. Some days I think going over to the club and attending a meeting is more about a symbolic practice that reminds me of my commitment to live a healthy lifestyle than anything else.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

they were reading "we agnostics" today....it was ok...the guy next to me I could really relate to....mostly he said don't get your panties in a bunch worrying about it lol

And that absolutely a god is not required in order to work the steps...and stay sober