Notices

Opiate and smile free

Old 06-30-2022, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate and smile free

Hey everyone,

been awhile.. but I’m back and finally done. Been a few days.. finally have clean time where I know this is what I want. I’m exercising and eating right..but I’m still not smiling.. after close to a decade of abusing tramadol and norcos.. I can only wonder how long until my body actually feels happiness and I smile. Sometimes I wonder if I have changed my brains chemistry so much that it’ll never be the same or something that produces any real happiness.. silly/depressing thought I guess.

I don’t find the happiness in hobbies like I used to.. I’ve tried so many things thinking perhaps I’ll try others and like them.. I don’t smile as often.. how long until I do? I keep telling myself what you all have told me: be patient, it will take time.. how much more time? A month? Year? Years? I just want to go through the day like normal sober people do - not wake up and get high so I can handle life. Going through life high all the time isn’t living.. it’s just surviving..until the next high..

thanks for any thoughts.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jimmy - hey congrats on your clean time

I have no experience with tramadol or norcos but I know if you've been using a long time that its going to take more than a few days to get your smile back and feel joy again - but you will

You're on the right road, man.
D
Old 06-22-2023, 02:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your smile will return Jimmy. Going to take more than a few days tho.

You've been using for a decade, and your mind probably doesn't feel like smiling confronted now with a life without drugs.

Not a real lot to smile about, because now the real work begins, and you start to reengage with the world. Engage as a sober smiling person. And you'll come to love it.

As time goes by and you continue to engage in real life your smile will return.

Heard any good jokes lately, Jimmy?

Old 06-22-2023, 02:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This post is 18 months old Steely - it would be cool to get an update from Jimmy tho

D
Old 06-22-2023, 04:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only way that I know of to get to the other side of what you're describing is by fully committing to the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous and working the Steps. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Always forget to read date of post.

I hope Jimmy's smiling up large, and sober.

How about an update Jimmy.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey Jimmy - I know exactly what you mean. I have been exactly where you are and it does take some time. I cant remember exactly when or how long it was that i started to enjoy the way i was living but i do know that it does come. I imagine it is different for everyone considering their life circumstances but you probably wont notice the day it happens. It may be that you just realize one day that you are not feeling anxious or numb to life anymore and that long lost smile is back. Don't give up trying! it will come if you stay focused on your goal. I dont know if you are involved in faith based groups at all but that definitely played a huge part in my recovery! Jesus Christ not only can save us from ourselves but will! Good luck my friend and keep your chin up!