Notices

I want to quit cold turkey

Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to quit cold turkey

The title of my thread pretty much says it all, I've smoked cigs full on since I was 16 yrs old, only dabbled from the age of 13. I'm now 37. I'm done.. but am pretty freaked out about it.. have given up using tablets from doc but relapsed 8 wks later.

I guess I'm looking for strategies that have worked for continued abstinence, with my drinking... I decided I'm not a drinker and I'm not changing my mind. With this, I know I'm on shaky ground given past history.... Anything that helps is what I'm looking for here.....

Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck sunset01. You can do it.
I blew my last quit not so long ago at day 4, where it was already easier.

Cold turkey is documented to be the most effective way to stop. Here's a website if you haven't visited it already: WhyQuit - #1 cold turkey quit smoking site: 190 how to stop videos

I got 2 cigarettes left in the pack I bought. After that I won't smoke any either.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I find cold turkey the only way to go.

Both times ( first time I quit for 8 years straight - drinking was my undoing!) I focused on the benefits, which happen within 20 mins from having your last cigarette. I planned my first quit day, the second one I just woke up and thought I don't want to do this anymore.

I found after meals the hardest....and someone once described giving up smoking like giving up brushing your teeth....it's so ingrained in your routine!

Here's some quick health benefits.....good luck!

After the Last Cigarette - Quit Smoking Benefits Begin
Old 08-30-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Take it one day at at time.

Come join the 24-hour no smoking club. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...king-club.html

You just gotta commit to not smoke for today cause that's all any of us have. (And then you do it again tomorrow.)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Everyone I know who has quit has done it cold turkey. I had 11 days in when I couldn't stand the rage any longer and caved to a few cigs. I have some nicotine gum now to keep me from smoking if it comes right down to it.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi guys sorry I haven't posted back I do appreciate your responses and links, found myself hitting a mental brick wall a couple of days ago and had to focus all my energy on that. I feel like with this I'm going to have to pick a start date because I don't think I'll ever be ready to quit, but I am ready really, dealing with the conflicting emotions I suppose is what I'm freaking out about *sigh*. (Doesn't help that my partner smokes too).
So here it is I'm picking the 4/9 that will give me enough time to put my ducks in a row psych myself up, buy supplies and put in place strategies to kick this for good.

I can see it now, I'm probably going to be in here moaning and complaining, hating on the world and probably a lot of crying will be involved. Can I apologise in advance? Cigs have been my lifelong "friend" I just hope that my friend hasn't left me so damaged that on the tail end of this I can still have a long life!!

Thanks again....xo
Old 09-01-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sunset - I've been smoking, on and off (mostly on) for over 30 years. I quit c/t on 8/9 and have really appreciated the 24-hour club that most of us are on.

I was never "ready" to quit, but I finally didn't buy another pack when I ran out. I think different people react different ways, but I've been really TIRED since I quit, though this is getting better.

Appetite? Up a little, but I had gained about 15 pounds the month before I quit (lots of family stuff) and haven't gained any more.

I do tend to want to be better NOW and forget the psychological effect of my crutch, my cigarettes. I should know better, as crack was my DOC and it was all psychological.

Regarless, in the time I've quit, I've lost 2 friends to cancer, done the funeral home/funeral stuff. I work with clients who have alzheimers, which is mentally challenging. AND I found a pack of unopened cigarettes in the car, and threw them away.

My point is, you can do this if I can. Keep posting here, check out the 24-hour club thread and join us. I've been on this forum more times than I want to admit to, but this time? It feels just right and I'm willing to do what it takes to not smoke again.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post amy, I will definitely join the 24 hr club on the 4th, I like your attitude of doing what it takes.....

Most of my life I've been addicted to one substance or another, Cigs, Pot, Alcohol, I just would like to be clean of everything and get on with my life, in a positive way.

ps....love your kitties, have one myself Basil, or Baz for short. He's a real talker and love bot. except with the dog who he despises.....
Old 09-01-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sunset - we have a lot in common. I've abused alcohol, opiates, got totally hooked on crack and hit bottom.

Cigarettes were always there. It's not easy giving up our crutch, but I promise you...with being in recovery for years, and finally giving up the cigarettes? It's not easy, but damned if it doesn't feel GREAT.

The 24-hour group is a good place to ask "did you go through....? How did you deal with ....?" We just cheer each other one, no matter how far we are into the process.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-01-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
kab

Smile

Hi sunset01,i smoked and quit for over 40yrs,,,"and your only 37!!!!i think im getting old,,haha,anyway i have quit for 6yrs now,how i did it is this,,,you must really want to quit or you never will,i set up my last day to smoke which was new years day,,i just smoked all i wanted for the week leading up to that day,by the way i was also a chain smoker,,,,i also did this ,i prayed to jesus who is also my hp.for his help,there are times that i want to smoke ,i ask jesus to help me ,,,the time it took for me to pray for help the feeling to smoke vanished,,,,tell yourself "this too shall pass"sometimes i think quitting smoking was harder than quitting drinking,,,,since ive joined soberreovery i have run into folks that don't believe in god,,,if you are one i will tell you what i tell them ,,pray anyway,,it can't hurt,,you are trying to quit smoking its not easy and you need all the help you can get,,,remember "jly" ill pray for you,,,,good luck
Old 09-01-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

kab - I pray a lot, too I respect those who don't' agree, but I do what I need to do. TBH, I don't think, this time, I've prayed "do NOT let me smoke!!!" but I have said, in my nightly prayers "thank you for the fact that I'm clean/sober/and I didn't smoke".

I've been on SR long enough to know that different people have different beliefs and I respect that. I have many friends who don't believe in God.

What I can say is what I've learned in my 6-1/2 years in recovery - find the similarities. Take what works, leave the rest. If something is said that doesn't feel right? Think about it - is it because it's a new way of thinking, or because your belief's are different.

If it's the latter, just keep reading to find those who you have similarities with.

We can do this. In the US there is a HUGE movement to get people to quit smoking. I really could care less what they want me to do, I'm trying to look out for me, and whatever I learn? I will share here. That's what SR is all about.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-01-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hey kab believe me at 37 I feel old... therefore mentally were probably around the same age.lol. I appreciate what you are saying, and although I am an atheist, I was bought up Christian, I understand what you are saying and the spirit in which it was intended, and I appreciate it. So thank you

@amy I think on the 4th you're going to be regretting that offer lol....I'm happy that I'm here though and have the support of people who understand just how difficult it can be.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ok todays the 4th and I've failed miserably, got up said no I'm not going to and went straight into my morning routine; coffee and cig....arghhhh.....I realise I am going to have to change that....I'm so angry with myself right now *sigh*
Old 09-03-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

sunset - btdt, got the t-shirts in all the colors. I don't really know why I picked the day I did, but I just did. I found an unopened pack of cigs the other day, and threw it away - I've NEVER done that!

Keep trying, sweetie. I had to.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
kab

Wink

Dont give up sunset 01,,im praying for you,,,,,,its a hard thing to do to quit smoking,,,but i feel you can do it,,,it might help if you cut down on the coffee=caffine,,,just saying ...."YOU CAN DO THIS"
Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had an easier time quitting cigs for good. I smoked through high school and college. I hated the coughing and wheezing and I considered to be healthy.

I took a handful of tries (similar to alcohol) before quitting the habit for good in 2005. As long as you don't think about a cigarette you don't really need it.

That lies in the difference of being able to give it up for good. Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I'll change the coffee to tea and eat breakfast instead, last night I smoked my ciggie before bed looked at it before I put it out and said to myself "that's the last one". Ummm Ok then *eyesroll*. I have to do this.....and I will....need to shift my focus.....I shall be an ex-smoker.....
Ok will see you all tomorrow and I will sign up for the 24 hr club.....love this site, and I appreciate all the help!!