Notices

Accupuncture for sobriety??

Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accupuncture for sobriety??

Hi everyone. I posted yesterday that I went to the psychiatrist, and he suggested ReVia. I hate taking prescription drugs, so I told him I didn't want it. Has anyone ever gone through acupunture for sobriety? I just talked to the accupunture doctor (?) and she was SO excited that I was going to see her this afternoon. She said that she has a whole packet of things that help reduce cravings, and helps you holistically. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am SO excited!!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know accupuncture works for some things but I have no idea if it would work for alcoholism. I would be cautious, in my expectations but try to remain open-minded.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have few friends that used acupunture for quitting smoking (they smoked for 20 or so years) and it worked.

However not sure whether it worked because they wanted it work or it actually it did.

It can't hurt. Lots of people (especially on the West Coast) believe in holistic medicine. Acupuncture and massage are both covered underneathe my medical.

I don't think it's a cure though.

You've been doing great!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Acupunture was a part of my recovery treatment regime and i believe it did help especially with smoking. I did the "candida diet" which I know helped to get my low blood sugar under control which I believe was the most important part of getting my cravings reduced and my head cleared up from the fog of drinking.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used acupuncture for cocaine withdrawal... really kept me from getting anxious. I would've used it for alcohol withdrawal if I hadn't drunk myself into physical danger and needed a hospital. I think it would work to help mellow you out if that's what you're looking for. Acupuncture works really well in the area of the liver which in chinese medicine is the "hot" area that controls anger and anxiety.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

I have used acupunture for heroin/ methadone detox, in my ears.
Very relaxing and helped me to focus and relax. but ive not heard of it for alcholism.but addiction is addiction, im sure they use persiphic sites for alchol...ie liver ...ect...?

Great stuff **** you'll Love it. you should fall asleep.!

The reflexology n massage you can get really help aswell...!

Relax into it they do work, if you let it...!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

My local detox center has it as part of their normal program. They say it really helps, and those I have talked to say the same thing.

I'm on the West Coast though...
Old 08-01-2006, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi ****,

Good question. I'm an Ayurvedic practitioner/recovering alcoholic.....and have only a (limited) understanding of acupuncture (specifically), but here is an excerpt from my chapter on energy medicine (warning:its long) in case it helps you to understand acupuncture and energy medicine theory better:

"There are various systems to understand the pathways of life force in the physical body, but they are accepted in every culture, and share a common core philosophy. Basically, constitution-based medicine considers the healthy circulation of life force to be essential for good health.

In acupuncture, the life force is considered to travel through channels called meridians, as well as points throughout the body. The most commonly practiced form of acupuncture recognizes 12 major vessels/meridians.

These body meridians are actually more like a single river with tributaries flowing, one into the other than they are like 12 individual vessels. For example, if part of a river is congested and swollen by a log jam, the water level downstream slows to a trickle.

So it is with the flow of energy in our bodies.

The major energy points, channels, and centers discussed in virtually every
ancient system of medicine are electromagnetic centers which function like resistors in an electrical circuit, adjusting the amplitude of energy flow. When body electricity, or polarity, is imbalanced, the points respond by readjusting the energy flow. If this disturbance becomes recurrent or habitual, the meridian flow is impaired and affects the corresponding muscles, tissues, and organs over time.

(It is vitally important to understand the interconnectedness between the body and the mind in relation to constitutional medicine. If, for example, a person becomes chronically agitated, driven, uptight and tense; then the “positive” charge electromagnetic polarity circuits will overload and deprive the “negative” charge electromagnetic polarity circuits of vital energy just as profoundly as if there were a structural injury. Each time there is a shift in polarity, there is a shift in core, or deep energy.)

Disease starts with imbalanced, excessive or suppressed energy.

Energy equilibrium of an organ or muscle depends largely upon the capacity of blood and electromagnetic energy to enter and pass through. “Blocked” energy flow reduces blood circulation in the corresponding physical location, causing localized vaso-constriction. Since energy loss from an internal organ is a function of the quantity of blood passing through it, and of the tone of the surrounding blood vessels, this decrease in blood flow weakens tissue, priming the affected area for injury or disease.

Systemic opening and clearing of energy channels maintains circulation and renews the blood supply, encouraging a return to health.

Acupuncture addresses the origin of health problems, including psychosomatic responses, and increases the resilience of the body’s defense system. It can restore harmony to an organ that may be depleted of energy, or "stagnant". An example of this may be liver toxicity. Perhaps due to lifestyle (long term heavy alcohol and high fat diet consumption) this organ may be diminished in its capacity to metabolize, and to perform its over 100 functions.

Acupuncture combined with herbs and nutritional changes retrains internal organs to work more efficiently. All the body systems are addressed — digestion, respiration, lymphatic, nervous, endocrine, urinary, reproductive, etc.

Your therapist may determine your priorities based upon checking your pulses as well as things like the season and your overall state of mind. For example, it is customary to address the liver in the springtime and NOT to detox during the summer.

Check it out and let us know how it goes!