Notices

homedetox TOMMORROW

Old 07-20-2006, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question homedetox TOMMORROW

ive been wanting to do a detox(alcohol) for a while,but, for a few reasons- ive got to do it at home( ive asked drs and stuff-so its ok medically)
anyway-im basically posting to ask for ways to get through the psychological side of things....how do i go through it and not just think (as i usually do...)'theres no point'.....'i have nothing/noone-might as well' 'everyone hates me/ive made such a shocking mess of my life'
basically hating myself into it!(drinking)
any suggestions on how to get over these thoughts-desperately needed AND APPRECIATED!
lovelove
tashi
Old 07-20-2006, 02:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

tashna
hey--how often do you drink so i can sorta of understand your detox--have you detoxed before?--how bad was it?--i got very paranoid when i would detox--i would lay there with the tv on and make sure i did not think about anything --i would tell myself today i am taking care of physical withdrawls--nothing else-- i know this is scary--ive been thru enough withdarwls in my time for sure--write back and let us know how you are doing-
Laura
Old 07-20-2006, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're making the decision to stop using alcohol!

I had feelings like that too when I stopped drinking, really strong feelings that no one cared about me and that I belonged nowhere. I think you need to remember that your disease is telling you those things. It wants to maintain control of your mind, so you need to try to stay strong and stick with your plan.

There's lots of inspiration and information here.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

re-rosepetals

re-rosepetals
ive been drinking about ...well-average1- 2.5 litres of wine(or equivalent) for about 3 years .im 23 and detoxed about 5 months ago..i was ok then(medically).so.im doing a home detox this time

again,love!
tashi
Old 07-20-2006, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiyas Tashna and welcome to SR!
I too detoxed at home. Some of the things that helped me were :

* Get rid of any alcohol in the house.
* Stay busy
* Have a support system
* Keep candy or something with sugar on hand
* Lots of posting, reading here at SR
* Look into non alcohol related things to do
* Be honest with yourself
* Keep a journal of feelings and thoughts....both good and bad, refer back to them.
* Hot soothing baths with lavender before bed to help with sleep
* Stay positive
* One Day At A Time!!!!

Hope some of these things help!

Liss
Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

I went to an AA meeting the first day. It helped me.

I also craved alcohol a lot and for the first couple of weeks I probably had more than my share of sugar cookies. I used sugar cookies and lattes as a reward on Fri nites.

Posting on SR helps too.

I also made a list of all the reasons why I wanted to quit drinking.

Just knowing that it's going to be somewhat tough and mentally preparing yourself for that can help. Then when you get depressed or have a craving you can remind yourself that these feelings are totally normal. Give yourself some time to feel better; be good to yourself. Remember that if you were in a rehab somewhere that you wouldn't have to do all the normal cooking and cleaning and other domestic chores and responsibilities. So go easy on yourself for awhile and know that it's okay if you are not as productive as you normally are. I use to drink alcohol just to make household chores more fun (among other reasons of course). But I'm getting ahead of myself here. This is going to be your first day, so sleep as much as you can, order pizza, rent movies, anything relaxing and fun. Take a walk. Read a book. Whatever you like to do (that you don't associate too much with alcohol).

We are here for you! Keep coming back to SR!