Notices

Im nervous

Old 06-18-2006, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Im nervous

first let me say....Happy Fathers Day!!!!!

Being that it is fathers day, hubby and I are having a big grill-out for family and friends......Lots of smoked babyback ribs and chicken with all the fixins! YUMMY!!! there will be bocce ball and cornhole for games, the stereo will blare all our favorite tunes, kids running around with waterballoons, you name it, we are goin to have a blast! Our parties always turn out great!!!! :

The problem......This will be my FIRST party SOBER :sweat There will be plenty of beer to go around, and I am trying to get in the mindset that it will be fun to "watch everyone get buzzed and act silly" but I keep thinking about how when evening comes and we are all playing cornhole and everyone is having a blast and a beer......ohhhhhhh I miss that already and its only been a week today but I have been doing just that for over 25 years and I really enjoy it!!!! Im scared!!!!! Can I do this???? Im terrified Im not ready.

Hubby is soooooo wonderful, he even said he wouldnt drink either if it will help but how can I expect him to miss out on the fun just because I have a problem????? I also told him that if I disapear for a bit, it will be to escape to here to grab some much needed support and he agreed that it wouldnt be rude.
So what do ya'll think??? Should I let him "not drink" with me or should I not be so selfish and insist that if he wants to drink with his friends that he should?? After all, this is MY problem, not his. He drinks socially MAYBE once a month, he definately does NOT have a problem! :sigh:
Please let me know and keep me in your thoughts today! Thanks!
Old 06-18-2006, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi sweetie,

I know the nervousness and fear that you are experiencing over being in that situation sober. I know you can get through this. Be prepared with a plan just in case it gets too overwhelming for you. Having someone there to support you who is also not drinking would be a great idea. Maybe you can take your husband up on his offer as he made that offer with your best interest in mind and that shows that he respects and really cares about about your sobriety. That is great and awesome to know that he cares that much! Having a back up plan is very, very important because the triggers can get pretty strong. Make sure that there are other non-alcoholic drink options readily available.

I will be with you in spirit! Being sober means that you can fully enjoy the experience and then you can laugh at those who end up cutting up with silliness. True joy is in experiencing life without having a fuzzy mind.

You are in my thoughts!!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's really tough Lollipop! I have to say that I could not be around alcohol for quite a long time when I stopped drinking. It was just too hard. All I can tell you is what worked for me. I had to make big changes in my life. I wouldn't be putting on that party today, at least not like that. It probably wouldn't have made me drink that day, but a few days or a week later I would because the seed was planted. One of the things I had to learn was to say 'No'. It's hard to do when you're a kind of people-pleasing person and want to do things for others, but if I don't say 'No' sometimes, I won't be able to stay sober. I am very lucky because my husband stopped drinking when I did, though he never had a problem. We never have alcohol in the house and never serve alcohol to guests. My husband hates alcohol as much as I do and that's the choice we've made.

Today, as you and Hope both said, have a plan. And, leave for a moment if you need to. Do whatever feels right for you. You can get through this!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support ya'll!!!

Ive noticed as I am preparing the food and getting things together that I am VERY irritable!!!! I have my bedroom to run to if need be later and hubby picked me up some n/a beer for the taste, I just hope this day gets better. Right now I could seriously sit down and cry.....although that is not an option, I was taught that to cry is a sign of weakness and to suck it up! Well, Im trying really hard. I will report later or every 1/2 hour LMAO I hate weakness and I HATE fear. Both of which I am experiencing right now, this sucks
Thanks again, I love you all
Old 06-18-2006, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Big hugs to you. I don't envy your position but with the right mindset and a plan, you CAN get through this. The emotions you are feeling are normal and they are NOT a sign of weakness nor are tears (although I was raised to believe that too!). If you need a good cry, go ahead and do it and get it out. Keep posting on here. Here are my suggestions to get through today. Like LuLu I don't think I would have been able to host anything like that at a week sober but since it's happening here are some suggestions.

1. Take hubby up on the offer to not drink! I think it's great he's willing to do that with and for you.
2. I would skip the N/A beer. There is a little bit of alcohol in it, plus the taste could be a huge trigger. When you start drinking it and don't get the effect it COULD prompt you on to the real thing. Not worth it!
3. Escape every so often and post on here or read a chapter of a book or something to get your mind cleared.
4. Stay busy! Be the best hostess ever by keeping busy, focusing on your guests.
5. Keep a running tape in your head of your last drunk, what prompted you to seek sobriety in the first place. Use the desire not to return to that as motivation.
6. If you pray, pray often asking for strength to get through today sober.
7. If you can identify some people there who choose not to drink, hang around them.
8. If people start getting really lit and making an *ss out of themselves just silently congratulate yourself that you don't have to live like that today. Remember how horrible they are going to feel tomorrow and smile knowing that when you wake up in the morning you will have a clear head and no hangover.
9. Make a list of the things you want to gain in sobriety and refer to that list (mentally) often today.

You can do this! Please come back and let us know how it worked out!
Kellye
Old 06-18-2006, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sharing My Esh With You

Hi, im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Thanks lollipop for sharing.

First, and because i dont know ur story, how long have u been sober and what made u stop drinking in the first place? Second.....when i got sober, it was suggested that, esp. in early recovery to stay away from people, places and things that remind me of alcohol.

N/A beer? Near beer for the taste? That would definitely be a NO NO for me.
Why would i want something that would remind me of something i enjoyed tasting so much. I loved the taste of cold beer, or cold red wine, margaritas....and so on. The taste of it was a trigger mechanism. It would start the craving and before i knew it i couldnt have JUST 1, nor 2, 3 4 5 ....a whole case....Now for me today........THERE WILL NEVER EVER BE ENOUGH ALCOHOL TO QUENCH MY THIRST OR MY CRAVING FOR THE DRINK.

So I had to and still have to stay away from alcohol or what i refer to it as POISON. To drink POISON would mean for me to die. And i almost did. The drink led me to to wanting to end my misery. It was then my family stepped in and did a family intervention on me, doing for me what i couldnt do for myself. For them im truely greatful.

I know for me i use to look forward to holidays because it was a GREAT EXCUSE to buy alcohol and drink and be merry. Then it eventually stopped working for me. It was no longer my friend and soon became my enemy. It turned on me causeing me to behave irrationally. To do things normal people wouldnt necessarily do.

Today i dont have to do that anymore. Thank my higher Power.

For u, u r in early recovery. My spouse respected me enough to take out all the alcohol in the house when i was in rehab for 28 days. He removed anything that would jepardize my recovery. He is not an alcoholic and thus out of respect refuses to drink in front of me, even if i suggest it to him sometimes. For non alcoholics, they dont have those drinking thoughts to consume their thoughts like we do. Its just not top priority like for us. Its a no big deal unlike it is for us.

Being around family that drinks would and still makes me squirrely. Today i have choices. i dont have to set myself in situations that would interfere with my recovery. Mainly because its that important to me. Its that important that i stay sober not only for ME but for my family as well. My kids.

Have a plan in place to escape. A meeting, the phone, computer with support here....or just get in ur car and remove urself from the situation. Take the kids to a park. Or go alone with a book till the affair is over.

Ur spouse may need to entertain for the most part, and since he and others r aware of ur early sobriety then understanding form them shouldnt be a problem.

For the next holiday or special occassion....since i dont party or esp. enjoy family gatherings.....my spouse and kids go out to eat by ourselves to a nice resturant or u could take in a movie, or go to the zoo or take up walking at a park....anything that wouldnt require alcohol. there r things to do alcohol free, but in time...one day at a time...it will eventually become easier for u. For now, just go thru the motions and do what other AA folks suggest and follow their guiding examples on how they stay sober.

Good luck and take care of YOU.

Message me here anytime u need an AA friend to share with. You will not be disturbing me.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wish you the best Lollipop. I am concerned about the n/a beer. If someone would have given me pills, any kind that even reminded me of my doc (vicodin) I think that would have been a huge trigger for me. If you can handle it then you are a lot stronger than me Keep us posted. Remember, only you can make you use. Be strong and try to enjoy the day!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
REZ

Definitely no to the NA beer. Have water, a soda, whatever. Don't set yourself up with that. I'm not even sure you should go to this one if you are so uncomfortable. If you do, make sure to have an escape plan. Why not invite an AA person to come with you for support? If your husband loves you, he will skip the drinking on this occassion for you. The bottom line, is that the most important thing is that you don't take a drink. If that means a little embarassment or skipping the thing altogether, that's ok. You can't save your face and your ass at the same time.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

On the other hand...when I went out for my birthday, I had a momentary feeling of panic because I had never "not" had something alcoholic while dining out. I had an N/A beer which really helped me to feel like I was celebrating without getting me loopy. It did not serve as a trigger to run out and get wasted, it felt like a great alternative. This is a purely personal choice however, and only you know whether or not you are feeling secure enough to do this.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh I Love You All!!!!!

Thank You so much for making me feel like you all REALLY do care, it is so nice to feel that instead of feeling like I am being patronized!! (My Mom and Hubby are also wonderful, Thank You Goddess for all of you!!!)

I cant "not attend" as it is here at our home, plans were already set before I went sober (1 week ago today) My brother will be here, he has been a recovering alcoholic for many years, Im sure he will be of help as well. I have made it clear that my room (where my beloved computer is) is OFF LIMITS!!! That way I can escape if needed.

I have tried the N/A beer a few times over the last week, just a few on some evenings, because I get so tired of drinking sodas and water and tea etc. So far, it has not been a trigger, but more of a help to me. Today, in the event I chose to open one, will be the test to see if it is a trigger in a crowd, if so, I am determined to escape. The beer will be outside in coolers, so no sneaking possible LOL.

I started this journey at first, for my Dads sake but thanks to this board and reading a lot of info. through the net and books, (I checked some out from the library on alcoholism) I have changed directions.....as I have stated before, if Dad wants to kill himself through his addictions, thats HIS choice and I cannot stop him BUT I CAN stop for ME!! I am feeling better at this point (cant say my mood wont swing with the wind today lol) but I am holding strong at this point.....stay tuned LOL
Love Liss
Old 06-18-2006, 11:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im Glad ur brother will be there for some warm, loving, caring AA support for you.

I... for my kids and family.....is like ur brother is to u and his family.....EXAMPLES to those whom we love. I shared with my kids who r now 19 and 21, if they ever get in trouble with alcohol or drugs, then they can come to me. I will be happy to guide them in the direction needed for help and to know they never have to go thru anything alone. What better person to turn to for help then someone right there in ur own family who is recoverying.

If ur brother ever wants to share his story with us or his experience, strengths and hopes here in Sr then im sure many of us can benifit greatly from it.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

Good luck on your endeavor today. I remember how difficult it was in the beginning to not drink. It was so natural for me to always have a drink in my hand at family events. Looking back, I was always the one who over did it. I never had much fun compared to how I would suffer the next day. Stick to your guns and remember your focus is on not drinking. I would say a prayer for strength before I went to my family gatherings. I got through them sober. It gets easier with time. Keep us posted...
Old 06-18-2006, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Lollipop, god for you one week sober is great.
You are fortunate to have your husband, brother and Mom providing loving support.
And who are you to deny your husband the pleasure of supporting you by not drinking???
It may make you and him feel better.
I wish you every success today and look forward to your posts,
YOU CAN DO THIS
Old 06-18-2006, 01:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks All.....its a lil after 4 pm here and so far so good I will check back soon.....wish me luck!!!
Liss
Old 06-18-2006, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by ASH
YOU CAN DO THIS
Good for you!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 01:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You will be fine, Lollypop...I have found (since it's very early in my recovery as well) that the anticipation of these newly sober events is scarier than the actual event...and once you've gone through them, they are milestones and will never be a worry again. You are doing great!
Old 06-18-2006, 05:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks All!
Well, it is now 8:31pm. here......The babyback ribs fell off the bone, the corn was grilled to perfection (hubby does the grilling and smoker) everyone seems to really be having a great time. The cornhole and bocce games are in full swing, the kids are running around as was expected etc.....and.........people are starting to get a pretty good buzz going. Me.....havent touched a drop.....nope, Im completly sober and YUP.......Im out of the woods for this gathering, no desire what-so-ever to drink at this point. I did drink some N/A beer but have since switched back to my diet coke. I think I am still in the phase where you get fatigued easy at first. I am plain worn out. I believe I am going to go clean up the dinner mess and leave the partying to the rest. I will take care of my kids and secure my parents and then I am going to retreat to my room for some much needed R&R. Oh that reminds me....Dad is at the kitchen table drunk and preaching politics.........this is a normal thing for him and to be honest, when I was drunk, it just annoyed me, sober....it makes me ill. Thank the Goddess he will go to bed soon!!! For everyones sake.

Well, 7 days sober so far.....the rest of my life to go, Im proud of myself for today, I was so scared!!! Thanks to you all, your words and support have been a tremendous help!!!
Love,
Liss
Old 06-18-2006, 05:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So, glad to hear things are going great. I am also glad to hear I'm not the only one who has a Dad that gets drunk and preeches politics.
Keep up the good work
Old 06-18-2006, 05:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Resentment Building

Originally Posted by Lollipop
Thanks All!
Well, it is now 8:31pm. here......The babyback ribs fell off the bone, the corn was grilled to perfection (hubby does the grilling and smoker) everyone seems to really be having a great time. The cornhole and bocce games are in full swing, the kids are running around as was expected etc.....and.........people are starting to get a pretty good buzz going. Me.....havent touched a drop.....nope, Im completly sober and YUP.......Im out of the woods for this gathering, no desire what-so-ever to drink at this point. I did drink some N/A beer but have since switched back to my diet coke. I think I am still in the phase where you get fatigued easy at first. I am plain worn out. I believe I am going to go clean up the dinner mess and leave the partying to the rest. I will take care of my kids and secure my parents and then I am going to retreat to my room for some much needed R&R. Oh that reminds me....Dad is at the kitchen table drunk and preaching politics.........this is a normal thing for him and to be honest, when I was drunk, it just annoyed me, sober....it makes me ill. Thank the Goddess he will go to bed soon!!! For everyones sake.

Well, 7 days sober so far.....the rest of my life to go, Im proud of myself for today, I was so scared!!! Thanks to you all, your words and support have been a tremendous help!!!
Love,
Liss

Yum - now I am hungry ! Ribs mmmm my favourite.

Good luck and keep up the good work !
Old 06-18-2006, 06:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

LOL ........Aristo.......ya shoulda come on over......Hubby started the smoker early and slow smoked 10 pounds of chicken and 3 racks of babybacks....when he tried to pick one up to cut the ribs apart, it literally fell apart in his hands!!! It was really yummy!!!!
By the way, it is now almost 10pm. here, everyone has gone home, (this is VERY unusual for a party here) and we are settling in for the night.....its been a good day after all and guess what.......I wont be hungover so I can be in my garden at the crack of dawn and busy!!!! Im really starting to like this sober thing!!! LOL

NYCGirl, maybe we should get our Dads together and let them have at it LOL
Thanks Again!!!
Liss