Notices

Hello

Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I'm new to this, so just wanting to talk..

I'm 33 years old. Been drinking since I was 17. Father is alcoholic and some of my family is too. Wrecked my truck last weekend after driving home drunk. Totaled. Anyway, I'm trying to keep myself busy, with work, kids, and trying to get back into music (guitarist). It's kinda funny how people told me I was a great guitarist, but was horrible when I was drinking, but I still drank when I played. My best shows were sober, but my best times were drunk. After listening to myself on a recording at a show (drunk), I felt really embarrased.

What do you guys do to stay sober? (Besides the one day at a time thing)

I still want to hang with my drinking buddies (because they were my buddies before I was drinking and they all know what happened to me).

How do you guys cope??

Thank you.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello...

When I was a drinker...so were my friends

As I stayed in recovery we had little in common.
We drifted apart.

AA is full of friends you have yet to meet
The strongest bonds I have.

It's great to see you seeking answers!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

What do you guys do to stay sober? (Besides the one day at a time thing)
Staying sober is a one day at a time thing. The 12 steps used by AA programs...used daily, one day at a time is what many find as a way to stay sober.

Now beyond the use of the tools called 12 steps...
I do what ever I please. No limits to what I can do.

Things to do for replacing the time spent drinking...
meetings
school
fishing
painting
reading a good book
playing a guitar
gym
What ever you feel you would enjoy.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You cant hang around your drinking friends. See,...thats the problem. People new to the recovery thing fail alot because they go into it already putting 'conditions' on their recovery. "I'll try this sobriety thing, but, Im telling you right now,....Im not gonna stop hanging around my drinking buddies" This is a negative condition to place upon recovery. You will fail when you do these types of things.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Recovery only works when you go into with an "I am willing to do WHATEVER it takes" attitude. Whatever that may be. I stopped hanging around all my drinking friends and lo and behold, Ive been sober for over two years. I drank for 17 years. I once was convinced I was hopeless. It stopped my heart for 47 seconds in the ER........yeah,....I was pretty bad. If I can do it,...so can you. But the drinkin' buddies, have got to go. Thats the price of a better life. Open your mind. If you go into it thinking "Im not going ot give up this,...or that,....Im not gonna DO that.....If I do I wont be able to do THIS or THAT....." you WILL fail.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

I got sober through the program of AA. Working the 12 steps helps me get through the tough times. Remembering where I am now and what it was like, keeps me sober. I'm not going back to those horrible times. Alcohol represents nothing but pain to me. That in itself is enough to make me think twice if the false allure of alcohol tries to tempt me into returning to misery.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know when I quit the first time around about 15 yrs ago... I had no choice but to get a way from my drinking/drugging friends. It was the only way. Moreover, as I sobered, they really didn't want to hang out with me anyway... I was "no fun", I thought I was better than them... all kinds of reasons, none of them true, but the point is they didn't like what was staring them in the face ... a sober face.

Levi
Old 05-14-2006, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome

Hello guitargrinder my name is Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Sounds like u have wonderful talent with ur music.

Right now getting sober and staying sober sounds like a tall order to fill. It can be done, esp. when u go to meetings and see how others in recovery do it one day at a time. Just because u r not drinking doesnt mean u r dead. It just means there will be changes in ur life that u will have to decide on if u want to stay sober.

By changing people, places, and things, reminding u of alcohol. At least for now being in early recovery.

I know u know of other popular bands where drugs and alcohol have played a major role in their careers. Nirvana's lead singer. Areosmith...Tyler.....AC/DC....And im sure u know many more......Bands that have broken up or have gone thru changes to save the band.

Getting sober has to be for you and no one else....if u want what we have then u will go thru any lengths to stay sober. First by Admitting u have a problem with drinking or drugs. Accepting u have that problem....then believeing in something Greater than urself to help u stay sober....and that something can be the AA group as a whole or a sponsor or whatever u wish.

There r many suggestions u will hear in AA...one is to begin with 90 meetings in 90 days.....u r bound to hear something during that time that u will need to hear. If not then it is said they will gladly refund ur misery.

There is good sobriety here in SR that is shared on a daily bases. But going to face to face meeting will be good. That way u can see for urself first hand how this program works. The fellowship of many sharing one common bond to stay sober one day at a time sharing their own experiences, strengths and hopes with each other.

Find u someone u can talk to and that u can call anytime u feel like drinking. If u drank everyday then a meeting everyday shouldnt be hard. Right? : ) Well maybe hard at first but will become easier the longer u stay sober.

This program does work if u work it...and u never have to work it alone...there r many traveling along the same road of recovery as u learning to stay sober each day.

Good luck and keep coming back.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AA is working for me. Go to a meeting every day if you can. Each meeting is a daily reminder to stay sober, a daily example of people with good sobriety, and a daily lesson in how to live life sober.

Imitate the people at the meeting with a lot of sobriety.

In terms of filling your time, try working out at the gym, doing more housework, reading, finding a new hobby (yes, drinking is like a hobby!) and going to meetings. The old friends may be fine if you can find things to do with them that don't involve drinking. If they insist on drinking, you should probably avoid them while they drink. You'll be uncomfortable, and they will be uncomfortable.

You can make great friends at AA meetings. I found a meeting that meets every day and that makes a big difference for me. I have tons of friends at this meeting and we all cheer each other on and provide a ready shoulder to cry on when life gets hard. It's just a great experience.

You can make some good friends here too.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AAer in recovery here, too. I went to the meetings with an open mind, I listened and took suggestions. It's free and it works!