Notices

A living problem

Old 05-14-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A living problem

I have more than a problem with drugs and alcohol...I have a living problem. I have learned that addiction is progressive and definitely fatal if not treated. As soon as I am able to physically get up out of this house, I am back to AA. Until then, I have my phone numbers and all of my recovery literature stacked up right next to me.

Exactly what do I know about staying sober? Nothing. So, I have to turn to other people who have gotten sober before me and listen to their suggestions. That is how is done. I have to believe that the miracle that happened for other people can, and will, happen for me. All that is required is my honesty, open-mindedness, willingness, and FOOTWORK. It will never just come to me-- I have to do the footwork to get my recovery.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I won't challenge your ability to physically get out of your house to go to a meeting, Cheryl. I could tell you of the challenges I faced to get to my first 90/90, but I won't. What I will tell you is that I can relate to the idea that I was unable to physically get to a meeting. I will also tell you that it was my habit of making excuses, pitying the condition I'd put myself in, and being unwilling -- however willing I wanted to believe that I was -- to do whatever it took to begin my recovery that said I couldn't do it. Once I fully admitted that I could no longer control my addictions, that my life was totally and utterly unmanageable so long as my own will was the force trying to manage it, then and only then did my recovery begin.

You said something in another thread, and it's only because I know you are looking to the twelve steps to work your program of recovery that I will comment on it. You said that a day we're sober, regardless if we did anything else but stay sober that day, was a successful day. I'm going to disagree, Cheryl. Not picking up is but the bare bones of recovery from addiction. Chemical sobriety is something almost all of us can manage for a few days or months at a time. If we're not working towards mental, spiritual and emotional sobriety every day, regardless of how long or short a time we've been clean, we're merely killing time until the next drunk or high.

As I said, I won't challenge your ability to get to a meeting. That's your business. But, you're talking about footwork. These are questions I would ask someone I was working with if they said what you've said: Of that literature beside you, what have you read today? Of those numbers you have, how many have you dialed today? To how many other alcoholics/addicts have you extended your hand?

You're right about addiction being progressive and fatal. I will not argue with that. It also has a 100% remission rate for those who truly, without reservation, choose the path to recovery -- and commit to the work along the way.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-14-2006, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sugah, I really like what you have said. Your honesty and integrity and desire to be of help is genuine. Good on you!

I second what Sugah has so eloquently said.

Levi
Old 05-14-2006, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by Hope4life
As soon as I am able I am back to AA.
(((Hope)))

This WILL work if you work it.

It WILL. Trust me. I hope you do it.

Love
Cathy31
x
Old 05-14-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Sugah
Great post, thank you! So very, very true.
Cathy31
x
Old 05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with you Cheryl and I know that I have a problem with 'living' in the sense you are talking about. I had to learn basic things like how to deal with emotions in a healthy way, how to express myself and to say what I really meant and how to like myself. And, I need to work at it every single day physically, mentally and spiritually. If I get busy and caught up in something it's usually the spiritual aspect that is the first to suffer - and then I feel it. I have to work very hard to keep the balance in my life.