Notices

Brand New and SO many questions...

Old 04-27-2006, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Newly Sober - HELLO!

Brand New and SO many questions...

Hi...I just got a nice greeting from one of the greeters who suggested I start a new thread. It took me a few minutes to figure out, but here I am. I'm so eager to "e-talk" to people who are going through what I am going through. I had my last drink on March 29 so I'm almost one month sober and feeling very strong. I am really feeling very tired though and even though I'm sleeping like a baby lately (much better than I ever did after a "few") I wake feeling really groggy. I'm wondering if my body is just knitting back to health and I'll eventually get over this, but I'm disappointed in this because I thought I would at last just jump out of bed after giving up alcohol. Am I expected too much too soon? Has anyone else had this "exhaustion" in the morning? I'd love to hear from you if you have. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Have we seen a person fail...

Welcome NYG! : What you are experiencing is "normal". Whatever that is. Lol. A good acronym to remember is HALT. Try and focus on not letting yourself get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. And yes, meetings, meetings, mettings.... It does get better. ODAT.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Newly Sober - HELLO!

Meetings....

Thanks for the encouragement...I haven't been to a meeting yet. I'm afraid. I've been doing this all on my own and haven't told anyone other than my drinking buddies...funny thing- not one said "why, you don't drink that much!" They all said "that's great - good for you". And then I knew. So feeling exhausted in the morning is a common thing when recovering from alcohol abuse?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

(((NewYorkGirl)))

Again, welcome to SR. What you are feeling is very normal. Think about what we have done to our bodies, physically, emotionally, and mentally from all the years of alcohol abuse. At least for myself, it has been years, nearly 20 odd years. It takes time to clear the fog and get our mind and body functioning normal once again. Your body is still trying to figure out how to react without the poison in it. Makes sense if you think about it. My body was so polluted, I'm amazed I didn't have permanent damage occur. Your energy level will rise and you will soon feel better.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi NYGirl, I can't wait to get to that point, lol. I'm only on day 2 and my head feels like it's going to explode. I'm still going through the first withdrawals. I have no idea if I'm gonna make it or not, but I'm sure gonna try. Yes it sounds like your friends knew you needed to do something, and it's hard to go about it alone but I'm in the same boat as you. I can't go to AA meetings, can't let my problem get out (I live in a very very small town), so when I read your post about going it alone I know that's the same road as I'm on. You are doing great!!! Glad you are on here, keep us all up to date on how you are doing. We can be your support whenever you need it.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Newly Sober - HELLO!

It's odd, but the kindness of strangers is so surprising to me...I guess I feel like I don't deserve it. I feel like crying at one moment for all the lost hours given to alcohol and celebrating the next that I'll never lose another minute to a black out. Thanks 2dazMuse for your help this evening and words of encouragaement. 20 years! You are my hero. Falco, you are so sweet to send encouragement...I am happy for you too that you stopped - 2 days is great! You must be feeling very proud of yourself. It's an accomplishment. what have you been going through...physically and mentally? It's so interesting to hear what each body goes through. we're all so different.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Oops, no I abused alcohol for over 20 years. I decided to put an end to the insanity nearly two years ago. I just wanted to clear that up. It has been a long battle, it has, but the results are well worth it. We all deserve a better way of life. We really do...
Old 04-27-2006, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Newly Sober - HELLO!

Ha! 2 years still makes you a hero!! I'm looking forward to hitting 90 days...then maybe I'll have a little more clarity...maybe I'll have worked up the courage to go to a meeting by then. I am trying not to reach for sugar, but it seems I've turned into a sweets junkie...I never liked sugar before. Maybe that's why my energy is so low. Any advice on how to avoid it, or does that craving dissapate too? I guess the wine I chugged everyday turned to sugar, but it's odd that the craving is SOOOO strong. Maybe I'm just underestimating the chokehold I was in.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

New York Girl: Why don't you try an "open" AA meeting. You just have to go in and listen, not say anything. You can also pick up AA pamphlets and reading material. AA saved my life. I was a touble making biker when I got here. I've been clean and sober now for 16 years now. AA works!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Newly Sober - HELLO!

Rarly, that sounds like a good way to start...it's too intimidating to think about walking in an speaking to a close knit group who already have a lot of answers. I know that I'll find caring people who understand my sorry little story, but it'll take a little time to feel comfortable, eh? I was on the AA site earlier tonight to find out where the meetings in NYC are and found an intergroup, but how can you tell which meetings are "open meetings"? Hmmmm, could that have been what the little "o"s were after a meeting time? If that's right, then you helped me figure out a little mystery. There was no key to the little letters. What should I expect in my first meeting if I do go to one? Any advice?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

I got sober through AA as well. It saved my life. I tried to get sober on my own many times and failed. The only time I was able to achieve sobriety was through working the program of AA.

Oh, yes...the sugar thing. I never had a sweet tooth due to all the wine I chugged-a-lugged. Since quitting the booze, I have to have my sweets. I have a huge sweet tooth. I eat a lot of ice cream, Ben & Jerry's. I refer to them as the boys. The boys and I have spent many a night together. It beats the drinking alternative. Sugar may be a big factor with your energy level. I know when I eat to much, I feel sluggish. And coffee, to much caffeine can have an effect also.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

New York Girl: Yes the "O" stands for open. If you want to maintain a low profile at your first open AA meeting, show up about 5 minutes to the posted start time. There will be a "greeter" at the door usually. They will say my name is such & such, as they reach out and shake your hand. Say hi, I'm "whatever", and make a beeline to an empty chair. Grab a coffee on your way if you like. You can bail right after the meeting closes if you aren't comfortable talking to anyone.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi NY Girl,

Big welcome to SR! I'm from CT so we are practically neighbors. I do go in to the city once a week and if you ever want to go to a meeting in Manhattan (not sure which part of NY you are from) I can help you with some suggestions. There are over 5000 meetings per week in NYC alone, and many of them are small and not intimidating at all. Really.

About the fatigue: I had it for 4 months. I am an alternative/complementary healthcare practitioner, and I read someplace that all fatigue is liver ffatigue. That means that the liver is struggling to do its more than 100 daily functions, most of which have to do with metabolism.

Since alcohol is like liquid sugar, you are no doubt craving and probably needing glucose for energy. Although I really believe in a healthy diet, i believe that sobriety is the main priority and, if, in the early days, you end up eating sweets more than you should, accept that as a phase and adjust your diet gradually over time.

I am just at 5 months sober in 3 days, and I am just now getting over the sweets cravings. I think I ate more chocolate ice cream in the last 5 months than in my whole life. But....yummm.

Now its spring and I shifted to greens and veggies.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ndgrace

cravings

Hi NYC,
I am almost 2 weeks sober, and had the same question about sugar. I ate almost a quart of chocolate ice cream last week, and never had a thought about it before. It is normal, now I am trying to have a controlled amount. I also gained weight from drinking and have lost 6 pounds this week alone. The wine has a lot of calories!
I had 2 years sober before, and the first AA meeting was the scariest, I called the AA number in the phone book and a gal picked me up and came with me, the rest were easy. You find everyone is like you, and very welcoming. You will find it will be easy to laugh at ourselves as we gain sobriety, because we are all soooo much alike!
I am feeling wiped out also, guess the body is trying to repair itself. The fog lifted after about 3 days, and I work out every day. This will get better too.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi NY...Welcome!

Here is what AA meetings are all about..

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html

Also...many of us have found following a
a hypoglycemia diet for a couple of months very helpful.

Take care...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome NYG ! Glad you are here!! Hope you can check out some AA meetings. You will find some great support and hopefully, make some good connections. Keep trying until you find the "right" meeting for you.
Kathy
Old 04-28-2006, 12:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Hey NYG! I'll be 5 months sober tomorrow, and I still have trouble w/ being tired in the morning. I'm not sure how much or for how long you were drinking, but each person's body is diff't the way it will repair itself. (but it's great not to wake up w/ a hangover, isn't it!?) I'm still having a daily sugar fix, but I think that's more b/c I deprived myself of ANY sweets while I was drinking. Once I had a piece of chocolate in my sobriety, I remembered how much I liked it! LOL! To offset it, like someone else said, I work out every day, and eat really healthy 99% of the time. Either way, I'll bet your body is thanking you now, huh? I know mine sure did!

Welcome and CONGRATS on your sober time!! Keep in your head that things get better and better! The sleep will come, a clearer head and more time on your hands to do something good for yourself!

Hugs,
DG
Old 04-28-2006, 12:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Meetings are great. They can be so much fun. The AA meetings are often the highlight of my day, I really mean that, and yes, I would never have imagined I could ever say that, ha ha.

They can be so warm, so friendly, so full of hope and encouragment. And the 12 step program is really a good one, I think. It's a program that would benefit anyone, alcoholic or not. It's a shame that more people don't experience it. But, you don't have to even try it if you're not interested. The only requirement for attending an AA meeting is a desire to stop drinking.

Try some meetings, and try different ones until you find the ones that work for you. I swear, they can so rewarding and so much fun. You can make new friends who will seem like life-long friends before too long.

One last thing -- no one understands alcoholics like other alcoholics. Go to some meetings and you will see this. You'll hear people tell their stories and they will be your story too. It's such a great thing.

Good luck! Sobriety is much better than drinking.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ndgrace

markofevil,
funny, I was just thinking yesterday while at a meeting, this would work for everyone! Then someone at the meeting asked what is normal??? I am still pondering that!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi NYG, welcome to SR