Notices

On day 4 and the Questions Begin-

Old 03-31-2006, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up On day 4 and the Questions Begin-

Hello All!

I am a 25 year old male from California.

I am on Day 4 of sobriety after drinking nightly for the last 5 years. I am taking hour by hour. Believe it or not, being a “functioning” alcoholic, this is the longest for me not to have any alcohol. I think I’m finally through the detox phase (after all the sweating, shaking, hot flashes and insomnia-- not so fun stuff) and ready to start work and life again.

I am keeping positive and looking forward to leading a healthy life. On that note!-

Questions / Issues:

- I used alcohol as a social lubricant (liquid courage, etc.) I now find myself very anxious in social settings. I am afraid my future social life will suffer, as I suffer from anxiety. In the past, I could only “go out” after having a few shots at home. Maybe I feel this way just because I quit only 4 days ago and have NOT gone out yet. Will this eventually be overcome?

- (Related to above) I work at a hotel / night-club in trendy Los Angeles that entails coworkers (and my bosses) going out after work and drinking- would it be best to avoid this altogether, or rather go and order a Diet Coke , Bottle Water, etc. instead- I am afraid this will make for an awkward situation. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation?

- Since I stopped, I’ve had bad nightmares each night. The nightmares have nothing to do with anything in general, just random. Is this part of withdraw symptoms or completely unrelated?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank God for this site- I really want to stay on track – THX!

Westbound

Old 03-31-2006, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi West , Welcome to SR I am glad you found us
To answer some of your questions, nightmares were a big part of my early sobriety, and also " drinking dreams", they went at about 6 months sober

As for the anxiety , for me , it passed after a few months sober, but i needed f2f support to cope with living sober happily, and for me , AA was the answer.

It is reccomended to stay away from the " pld environment", so I found it easier to NOT hang out with drinkers, or at places where booze was sold .

I wish you well in your journey of recovery
Keep posting

HUGX
Lee
Old 03-31-2006, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done!

When I was 2/3 months sober I noticed my depression/anxiety had gone and it has not returned.
I did change drinking friends for AA friends.

I too worked in the hospitality industry in D.C.
I did change jobs to stay sober ..even the smell was a Yuk

The longer you stay sober...the dreams lessen
Sleeping will also level out.

Take care...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Lee and Carol!

Old 04-01-2006, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Westbound--Glad you are here! I would answer your questions in basically the same way Lee and Carol did. I would just add that since I quit drinking, I no longer have any desire to "go out" in the traditional sense. These days I like to go see movies or plays, go out for a nice dinner, or just hang out at home and watch TV or visit SR! It sure saves me a lot of money! And I don't miss the 'bar scene' at all!

Keep coming back!
Old 04-01-2006, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome aboard!

I agree with everything you have been told so far.

Anxiety in social settings - I feel this will probably get better for you when you are farther along in sobriety. If you begin to go to AA you will get better with dealing with people and can go out with them. I have found it is better to go out with other people in sobriety, safer for me, than with "normal" people who don't understand my disease.

Going out with co-workers after work - Personally, I don't think this is a good idea. I was told early in sobriety that if you hang around a barber shop long enough evenutally you are going to get a haircut. Make sense? I have been to bars/clubs a handful of times in sobriety WITH another sober alcoholic. I was ok for a bit and then had to leave as I started to feel increasingly uncomfortable. I think I was trying to prove to myself that I could still be "normal". Today I don't get the urge to go to those types of places. There are too many other things I can do with my family and with my AA buds that don't put me in harms way.

Nightmares - I think this is part of the withdrawal process and I think it as well as insomnia will lessen with time.

Glad you are here. Please continue to ask questions as they come up. You are among people who have been there, done that and truly understand!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 04-01-2006, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Charlene

Hey hey welcome. Avoid people, places and things that could trigger you to pick up again. Do AA. Nothing can bring you peace but yourself...For me the greatest part of recovery is the feeling that I AM never alone. I have this whole sober community that we can share our lives with. There is sooo much love and hope here. Just stick around.