Notices

Hello All

Old 01-12-2006, 06:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Making it

Got a really good swim in yesterday

And got a really good night sleep

Today and tomorrow are going to be the tough days mentally though - seems like Thursday is the new Friday and I have afternoon appointments both days.

Let's not forget that my mind is telling me "you've worked hard all week you need to reward yourself" as if being sick all weekend is a reward LOL

Thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Meat now come on let me give you some straight talk. Im new here and Im sober. First time in 25 years. I golf, I sell, I entertain, I sell, I sell, I sell, I sell,
Please I dont like like being sober right now but Im getting there. Heres what I know.
If Im sober I sell, they cant resist me. Yes I must have and ego to sell. Its a thankless job and Im not telling you anything. The people you are selling to respect your intellect. They do not respect you drunk, the sharper you are the more likely you are to sell them. Do not kid yourself no one cares if you do not drink. They respect non drinkers they want the sharpest tack in the box. Your powers to sell will increase your income will increase. The respect you gain from not drinking far outweighs any drinking factor. Come on salesman to salesman you gona look them in the eyes thru bloodshot eyes and be at full power. I can tell your good now imagine how good you can be sharp quick witted powerfull, a lean mean selling machine. I sat across the table from a cop yesterday. He signed a contract with me. He was sharp. I would not have sold him if I wasnt sharp. His wife was having a glass of wine she was not sharp.
When your entertaining order a no alcoholic drink with the same attitude as an alcohol drink. Your clients will know you mean business they will respect you they will buy from you.
Now your hunting buddies are just going to have to understand. Mine dont like it I can tell you but Im a big boy and I gota look in the mirror. I support my family they dont.
If drinking is all we have in common then with the new power vested in my by my sobriety I will find sober friends that will go with me to funner and better places.
Now good luck with your appointments and go kick some arse!
Written to Meat and Soberus Maxus formerly Maxus Oblivius looking in the mirror for myself as much as for you.
Rock ON!!!!
Think how fun it will be on the golf course to make better shots. No one respects a drunk on the golf course but they do respect a shotmaker......
Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks Guys

Max,

Your encouragement is much appreciated. It's good to hear from someone that is in the same profession. Do you have clients that get visibly upset at lunch when you order water and they order scotch? I had that last week. The guy actually voiced his disappointment that I wasn't going to drink with him. I told him I had too many proposals to get out by the end of the day, but that didn't satisfy him. My thoughts now consider bringing another salesman along next time so that he doesn't have to order alone. Any other thoughts?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Prof

I read about your wife's promotion. I don't know if I could have been able to abstain either. Good Luck and try to make just a one night mistake instead of a single malt bender which seems to be so easy for me once i get started.

I work in technical sales for a chemical company. It's amazing to me how many engineering professionals get soused at lunch.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Hey Meat, Try this I'd like to have a drink with you today but I have other clients to meet later. What am I saying your a salesman your quick witted, you will come up with the correct answer for the situation. Ya Ill drink with ya give ma a virgin bloody mary! Hell just give me a virgin. Did I say that. Please forgive me Lord.(and all the pygmies in south america). Just because theres alcohol in it or not so what.
Years ago I got a tip from a car saleman that was really good.
He told me if he selling a logger he talked like a logger. If he was sellling a Dr he acted like a Dr. If he was selling a rocket scientist. Well. Ok nevermind. You get my drift.
Your an actor your a salesman you do not need booze to meld to the situation. Your a shucker and jiver. You will sell more make more be happier healthyer. You may not spell better. LOL
You dont need to bring anyone else I will bet you your client will respect you and you can get down to business. Isnt that what your there for. Why do you care about this guys wife kids dog. Other than to sell him. I know that sounds harsh but you know what I mean. I cant tell you the stuff Ive had to listen to nodding my head yes sir, no sir, yes maam, no maam just to make a sale.
Your the only one who knows if its a problem for you. You wouldnt be here if you werent concerned. What are you going to look like at 60 if you keep doing what your doing. Are you going to have credibility then.
Again looking in the mirror talking to myself.
Now get out there and make it happen!
I dont need booze to be a goofball read my posts youll wonder if I have a screw loose.
But its a sober screw Ive never had so much fun.
Sober screw hell order one of those!
Soberus Maxus formerly Maxus Oblivius
Old 01-12-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by Meat
Max,
My thoughts now consider bringing another salesman along next time so that he doesn't have to order alone. Any other thoughts?
A few years ago when I was in business that involved lots of drinking I decided I had to stop. I just told everyone I had a medical condition and was taking medicine that did not mix with alcohol at all, Dr. orders. That usually stops most people. For the rude ones who pressed me for more information, I just told them it was a bit personal and it passed.
People get used to it, it turned out to be a much smaller deal than I was making out of it. I had to notice there were more not drinking or drinking normally, (one drink), than those like me loosing my edge by having too many. Turns out they just were not the ones I was having lunch and dinner with on a regular basis. The non drinkers wanted to get the biz done and get on with other things, not be hanging at the bar.
Good luck with you meeting!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

got through the meeting just fine - nobody in this group was a drinker - the brainstorm about bringing other salesmen comes from a technique we used to use with the heaviest drinkers - if there was two of us we could tag team the drink orders so that the customer never had to order alone and we could drink half as much.

You guys are right that the job will be done more effectively without the booze and I will continue to work on excuses not to drink and still not offend the client. It's sad that it has to be an excuse isn't it
Old 01-12-2006, 11:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
ASH

got through the meeting just fine -
It's sad that it has to be an excuse isn't it
Good for you on making it through the meeting, and on day 4!
Yes, its bizarre to say the least that we have to apologize for not pouring massive quantities of poison down our throats. I guess that might not be fair, its not poison for everyone, but it is for me.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Sold two jobs today. Sober as most Judges.
Soberus Maxus The bright eyed one!!
Old 01-13-2006, 06:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Made it another day

I don't really know how - seems like all my buttons got pushed yesterday

Happy Day
Old 01-13-2006, 06:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Yes I know the button thing I got a few pushed yesteday myself. I was so proud of myself cause I was sharp. I pushed back nicely and got respect because of it.
Normally when they pushed I would just grunt and take it. Now Im turning into
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Have a great day.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well guys i made it through the weekend - the first weekend in a long time without a hangover.

Of course I got the flu and got to feel like shi* anyway - ain't life great LOL
Old 01-17-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Meat, welcome to SR
Congrats on your sober weekend!
Susan
Old 01-17-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

thx guys
Old 01-17-2006, 04:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
ASH

Well guys i made it through the weekend - the first weekend in a long time without a hangover.
WOW, that is just fantastic, congrats!!!
hope you got over the flu soon....
Old 01-19-2006, 09:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm here and still battling

I read your recent posts - good work

I have golf all weekend if the rain holds off - it will definitely be a new experience without the booze - frustrating bastard of a game always makes me want to drowned.

Happy Day