Notices

How do I find a sponser

Old 12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I find a sponser

how do I go about finding a sponser. I live in Maine and only attend a women's meeting once a week. Very small group. Do people sponser through the internet? I don't have a lot of time for meetings nor will I have any transportation soon. One a week is enough for me. I'm not a real social type
Old 12-28-2005, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well.... what program are you using?

Glad to see you are seeking answers...
Old 12-28-2005, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello! Glad you're here! It sounds like you have little choice but to find some online meetings. Here's the link from within this website: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...line-meetings/

Ask this question when you get there, you may well find a sponsor in doing so.

As far as not being social, I kinda gather that from your living situation. If you live in a sparsely populated area (Maine tends to be that way) and you are lacking transportation I infer that you don't mind being isolated. HOWEVER, it is a very dangerous thing for alcoholics to be isolated. One of the greatest blessings of meetings is that you connect with real people and talk about real problems in a way that only alchies understand. Please take my advice, cuz I am an isolater too, it is far far better to do whatever it takes to get to meetings. Tke things one day at a time, but TAKE them...don't allow yourself to avoid or stagnate. That's a killer for alchies too.

Good luck and God bless you!
Old 12-28-2005, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
raerob

If you make a lot of meetings, pay attention to what WOMEN have to say...listen carefully for someone who seems to be working a good program, has sufficient sober/clean time (preferrably two continuous years) to have some experience, strength, and hope to pass on to you.

Then, just get up the courage to ask. If you should be turned down, don't feel rejected...it just might be that whoever you ask either is sponsoring already and doesn't have the time to devote to you, or may not feel confident enough to sponsor someone.

If you go to a lot of discussion meetings, you might just throw it out on the table. Let them know you are fairly new and looking for a sponsor. Very often, you don't pick the sponsor, she picks you.

And, remember, sponsorship isn't a marriage until death do you part, although some are fortunate enough to last that long. If it shouldn't work out for one reason or another, you can always look around for someone else more suitable.

Good Luck. I think there might also be a sticky here devoted to sponsorship.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have transportation and lots of people and family around but I will be loosing my license. I just like people in small doses. I like my own company and find life gets to complecated when to many people get too involved in your life. Thats why I would prefer an internet sponser. Someone who won't be calling me on the phone wanting to go to coffee 3 times a week. From the womens AA meeting I noticed sponsers and sponserees are very close. I just can't handle that
Old 12-28-2005, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
raerob

Someone who won't be calling me on the phone wanting to go to coffee 3 times a week.
It's usually the responsibility of the person being sponsored to reach out to the sponsor, not the other way around. Often, a sponsor will have more than one person she is sponsoring, and it can be very time consuming...so, I doubt you need to be concerned that anyone you ask to sponsor you will be calling you for "coffee dates"...that isn't the way it works.

You sound like a "loner" who has a tendency to isolate...not too healthy for a drinker/drugger. Please reconsider your feelings about being involved with "too many people"...you can really use a good strong network of AA women.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I guess thats why I never wanted to do AA in the past. There are many personalities in the world and I don't see I should go against my grain to recover. I think AA is good for people who like to share and open up in groups or who liked to do there drinking at bars. And I'm not knocking that believe me. But I wouldn't tell people who are born to be social that they should become introverts so I don't want to be told I need to be more social. AA is open to all personalities what a boring world it would be if we were all alike
Old 12-28-2005, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeatmyownBAscor
Well I guess thats why I never wanted to do AA in the past. There are many personalities in the world and I don't see I should go against my grain to recover.
Welcome to SR. There's a lot people here to help you but, truthfully, I don't think you have hit your bottom yet if you are still stuck on yourself and afraid to go against "YOUR GRAIN". AA is for people who are wanting to make a change with their drinking and their life...doesn't sound like you are there yet.

Good luck with "YOUR GRAIN"!

Old 12-28-2005, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have hit bottom big time just not ready to tell my "story" And want to change my life just not my personality. People have been trying to get me to do that for years. Truth is other then my drinking I like who I am. Whats wrong with liking your own company. And I do have a social life, I just like what I call "low maintenance friends"
Old 12-28-2005, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I see you are in AA....I was not sure. Sorry

See if this helps...

http://www.e-aa.org/html/help.html

To find a live sponsor....look for a free leaflet...at a meeting
"Questions and Answers On Spomsorship"

That is the correct AA guideline...not anyones personal ideas.

AS mentioned.....there are on line meetings.
I used them often when working nights.

Keep in focus...Blessings