Notices

How do I begin?

Old 12-11-2005, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tth

How do I begin?

I am new here, and need advice. I drink at night, until I can get to sleep. I never drink during the day, but it affects all that I do. I am nervous about the first night without drinking, will I have withdrawel problems? I cant count on my family or friends for support, because of cultural issues. So am I curious if there is anyone who has been in a similar situation. How do I begin?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi tth welcome to SR

you will find lots of support and friendship here.

I do not know you or your situation, but for me , when I put down the grog, I had headaches, aches and pains, shaking , and a knot in my gut which would not quit! I found that I could not concentrate on anything, I would start a task, but not be able to finish it .

I was told to drink plenty of fluid which i did , ate small amounts when I could. I had insomnia for a while , but it did get better after a couple of months.

I was unable to do it alone, so for me, AA was the solution. I rang them, got to a meeting, and did the suggested things. This is the path I chose, so can only share on what worked for me

Best Luck

Lee
Old 12-11-2005, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here looking for answers. Welcome!

Detoxing/Withdrawal is usually uncomfortable.
Each person is different....your age...general health...how much you drink and gow long alcohol has beem abused...meds you take...all are factors.

It is always best to have an honest talk with a doctor before you quit.

We have a forum here Alcoholism.
The 2nd post there is
"Quitting what to expect"

Some of the info there will apply to you some will not.

Please stick around...keep posting
Old 12-11-2005, 01:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tth
I am new here, and need advice. I drink at night, until I can get to sleep. I never drink during the day, but it affects all that I do. I am nervous about the first night without drinking, will I have withdrawel problems? I cant count on my family or friends for support, because of cultural issues. So am I curious if there is anyone who has been in a similar situation. How do I begin?
Tonight will be my fourth night without drinking. I drank pretty much everyday for 16 years straight. I do have some minor headaches, but nothing too bad. Still, every person is different. I suggest going to a doctor to get a check up and ask what to do. I thought it would take me forever to be able to fall asleep, but it's been getting better every night. Just keep yourself busy during what was your drinking time to keep your mind off cravings (I started putting a handkerchief over clocks so I don't look and say "only two more hours and the stores/bars will be closed".

I don't know what the cultural issues are, but find someone to talk to face to face, either a doctor or support group.

Good luck and stick around.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
tth

Thank you everyone. The link for "what to expect" is great. I am starting tonight. I hope the symptoms are manageable enough to still work. But I guess the withdrawel symptoms cant do anymore damage to my career than spending the workday hungover and unable to think clearly.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Welcome to SR!! Lots of experience, strength, and hope here!! Keep reading and post wherever you feel comfortable. Learn all you can about this disease!!

Congratulations on your desicion to quit drinking!!
Glad you found us,
Missy
Old 12-11-2005, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Doug

You're on the right track tth, welcome to SoberRecovery. Make yourself at home.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Hey tth!

I just gave up drinking 13 days ago. I was drinking every night for 4 years straight, and was a binge drinker (big time) on weekends for the last 20 years, so I hear you. I never tried to stop by myself b/c of the amount I was drinking; I realized I couldn't do it alone. If you're drinking a lot every night, you may want to consider detox at a facility. Do you have insurance? If you do, GO! It's so worth it and they give you medz to help w/ the withdraw. Keep posting and I hope this helps!

Hugs,
DG