Notices

Old 11-10-2005, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mary

Unhappy New Member

HI,
My name is Mary from Jackson MI and I took my last drink 10/28/05. I was never willing to admit I had a problem but on 10/28 I lost my job for missing too much time. They were never aware but it was always because of my drinking. Now I am really scared, not sure what to do. I don't think I will be approved for unemployment and not many jobs in town. Although on the plus side with no money it will be easier to stay sober for a while

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just feel so scared and depressed. I have no family and don't know who to turn to. All comments welcome.

bye for now,
Mary
Old 11-10-2005, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doug

Welcomse to SR Mary, this is a great place to find answers and support. Good job on the few days you've got going now, thats the best way to start.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs up Hi and

Welcome to sR!

Congratulations on seeking a sober life...it is awesome!

Find your local AA meeting and attend....they will help you stay in focus and you will have support and understanding.

I went to my 1st meeting after losing my job from drinking.
It was a huge shock. to be fired.

BTW...I have found several jobs by asking around in meetings.

Blessings....
Old 11-10-2005, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Mary, I am new here too. My suggestion is to keep posting here, and read the old posts everyday. I had quite the urge to drink Tuesday night, but talked myself out of it by reading tons and tons of information here. It was still hard, but I didn't drink!

Good luck to you, I know you can do it!
Tina
Old 11-10-2005, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mary,

SR is a great place to come for support and inspiration. Congratulations on your decision to stay sober.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mary and big welcome to SR...
I think you will find alot of support, information and understanding here.
One day at a time is how most of us try to tackle our addictions.
I found after years of failed attempts to stop drinking, that I needed the support of others in the same boat.
Glad you are here
Old 11-10-2005, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Neighbor (Olivet, MI here), Welcome Aboard,

Michworks- Job placement assistance

Michigan Rehabilatative Services- Substance abuse qualifies as well as other diabilaties. Will help in placement and job retraining. Becoming a client automatically quallifies for help from FIA.

Good luck on your job search, congratultions on sobriety

Go Red Wings
Old 11-10-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Good on you on your sobriety!!! My suggestion would be to look up local AA and get involved! Stay sober, you are doing GREAT!
Well done - glad you are here! You don't need to feel alone anymore - we are all here for you and there is tons more of this kind of support, face to face, at any AA meeting, anywhere in the world.
Keep posting!
Cathy31
x
Old 11-10-2005, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mary!!

It sometimes takes a shocker like losing your job to realize that you need to quit. Good luck to you on your journey!
Old 11-10-2005, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Mary!! Welcome to SR. Glad you found us. For me, all I had to change to stay sober was everything!!! Sorry--don't mean to scare you. What I mean is that I had to learn different ways of dealing with the world and my feelings about it. I learned that through therapy, substance abuse treatment, LOTS of AA, and SR. Also, like Kelkel said, it was very important for me to take it only one day at a time. I can make up my mind to not drink for today. That is do-able. Thinking about not drinking forever can really send me off into a tail-spin. BTW--these techniques have been working for me for over 20 months now. It is definitely not all sunshine and roses. I have had my share of stormy days--but I got through them without having to use mood/mind-altering substances. For this alcholic addict that is an absolute miracle.

Hang in there!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Mary, Congrats on your decision, life becomes so much better being sober.
Keep coming here to SR, its a great place for support and information.
Hope you are able to find an AA meeting in your area, it helps to meet people and move out of the isolation thing many of us get into.
Look forward to seeing you here,
Take Care
Old 11-10-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery and the start of a wonderful journey. You have found a great place with kind, loving support. You are not alone.
Maybe losing that job was a blessing in disguise.

I am so glad that you are here!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

How cool! My sobriety date is October 28th! (2002) You lost a job... I came close to losing my life. The good news is - you can get another job (and I did find another life).

"The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking" (or using... depends on which fellowship you choose to attend - or if you attend both)

When we suffer from the disease of addiction, and that includes alcoholism, we usually have to hit bottom before we become willing to do something about it. You have an opportunity to consider your situation right now: is loosing your job as far down the ladder as you choose to go? There are two questions the Big Book that help us determine our own powerlessness over alcohol.

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 44
If this description fits you, then you know all you need to know to begin.

Go to meetings. Find a sponsor. Work the steps.

I tried everything, Mary. Counseling. Religion. Yoga. Having kids. Getting pets. Getting married (almost the same thing in my book ). AA saved my life.

I'll pray for you. Who knows? Maybe someday, you'll believe that losing your job was the best thing that could have happened to you.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Mary.Welcome to SoberRecovery.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Mary, welcome to SoberRecovery
Old 11-11-2005, 11:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Mary welcome to SR ,you will find lots of support , advice , and people only to willing to help here ...........look forward to you posting some more love Lulu xx
Old 11-14-2005, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Mary

Thanks All

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the welcome!

Does anyone know where I would find out where and when there are meetings in my area? Is there a website? Also, do you just show up or do you need to register or what?

I am really tempted today. A friend loaned me $50 to get some groceries but there store that is cheapest also carries booze and I am afraid if I go there I'll buy some. But the other store has no booze but its prices are alot higher and the money won't go as far. Should I try to exercise will power and go to the first store?

I know this sounds silly but I really need to stretch this money as far as possible.

Also, when applying for jobs, how do you explain why you were fired without giving away that you are alcoholic, or should you?

Thanks for now
17 days sober
Mary
Old 11-14-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

17 days! Thats good! Hmm....if it were me I probably would try practicing the willpower, but you have to do what you think is best. Im new, so Im not the best at giving advice, but personally, when applying for jobs I don't think I would tell them you are an alcoholic, but that you got fired because you were going through some "personal problems". Again, this is just my opinion, others on here might be able to give some better insight. Yah for 17 days!!! I think you can find AA meetings in your local newspaper.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mary - You can look up AA in your local phone book or do an online search for AA and your city. ALso, call your local intergroup office and speak to someone there.

As far as the groceries, if you want to go to the lower cost store, take someone with you. Alcohol is cunning, baffeling and powerful and will power is no match for it. Have a back up plan. ALways.

Let us know how it goes.

phinny
Old 11-14-2005, 01:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

e
Originally Posted by MaryR
HI,
My name is Mary from Jackson MI and I took my last drink 10/28/05. I was never willing to admit I had a problem but on 10/28 I lost my job for missing too much time. They were never aware but it was always because of my drinking. Now I am really scared, not sure what to do. I don't think I will be approved for unemployment and not many jobs in town. Although on the plus side with no money it will be easier to stay sober for a while

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just feel so scared and depressed. I have no family and don't know who to turn to. All comments welcome.

bye for now,
Mary
Dear Mary-I really believe that ALL things happen for a reason. I think you should be happy you got fired-you can start a new life-a SOBER one. You will find a new job by asking around, fate will play a hand....just do not drink. Go to AA meetings, get a sponser who can help you along your journey to stay sober and answer some of your questions that are going to pop up along the way. Keep coming to this board, the people here have all been through what you are going through and then a few more things...you will be able to relate to them. We are all pulling for you.....just take it one day at a time and get a new family here...........Blesssings to you.....Kahlia